> I'm not sure I'd want any of the C family (and I include Java here)
> taught, given _my_ druthers. I'd go with PL/1 (but last I saw it, it
> really needed some serious revisions in line with modern thinking),
> COBOL, Python.

OO PL/1? *lol* I suppose it would be possible, and actually might be
fairly cool, come to think of it. I'm not sure I'd want to take the time
to get it through the ANSI committees, though.

> It seems to me that most times someone invents a new language (and
Java
> is a good example), its proponents think it has to look like C.

Well, it has to look like something familiar to gain traction and
adherents, and this generation is still heavily influenced by C. Also, C
has had enough people beating on it to be fairly well optimized -- both
in the language and the tooling surrounding the language (OK, ANSI C
trigraphs were a really bad idea, but c'est la vie. Every language has
at least one obligatory wart.)

PL/1 was heavily influenced by Fortran and COBOL, and retained a lot of
the syntax, concepts,  and look and feel of both. Perl went through the
same stages (although AFAICT, Larry Wall just doesn't give a darn about
that sort of thing -- works for him, the rest of us just have to aspire
to such brilliance).