Mark Post wrote:
On 2/17/2009 at  1:17 PM, "Bauer, Bobby (NIH/CIT) [E]" <baue...@mail.nih.gov>
wrote:
Looks like this is going to be ugly. We booted on of our servers and the
logical volume was corrupted and I got dropped down to the Repair Filesystem
prompt. One big problem is /usr is empty so none of the logical volume
commands are availably.

They're not in /sbin?  Are you getting to the point that the root file system is mounted,
or are you still in the initrd?  I.e., is your root file system an LV, or not?  If it's
an LV, then you'll need to reboot from your installation kernel and initrd, or whatever
other rescue system Red Hat provides.  And then for all future builds, remember to not
have "/" be an LV.

Mark Post

Hi Bobby,

fyi, rescue mode is documented in the RHEL 5.2 Redbook, in section 13.4.2:

Rescue mode has all commands necessary to bring the LVM online and fix it.

There are pluses and minuses to "/" on LVM.  Bit of a holy war at
times..  one of the minuses cited is administration through rescue mode.
 It is, however, fully documented in the above link.

-Brad

Brad Hinson <bhin...@redhat.com>
Sr. Support Engineer Lead, System z
Red Hat, Inc.