From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Brad
Hinson
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:49 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Broken logical volume group

Mark Post wrote:
> wrote:
>> Looks like this is going to be ugly. We booted on of our servers and the
>> logical volume was corrupted and I got dropped down to the Repair Filesystem
>> prompt. One big problem is /usr is empty so none of the logical volume
>> commands are availably.
>
> They're not in /sbin?  Are you getting to the point that the root file system
> is mounted, or are you still in the initrd?  I.e., is your root file system
> an LV, or not?  If it's an LV, then you'll need to reboot from your
> installation kernel and initrd, or whatever other rescue system Red Hat
> provides.  And then for all future builds, remember to not have "/" be an LV.
>

> Mark Post

Hi Bobby,

fyi, rescue mode is documented in the RHEL 5.2 Redbook, in section 13.4.2:

Rescue mode has all commands necessary to bring the LVM online and fix it.

There are pluses and minuses to "/" on LVM.  Bit of a holy war at
times..  one of the minuses cited is administration through rescue mode.
  It is, however, fully documented in the above link.

-Brad

> send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit

Brad Hinson <bhin...@redhat.com>
Sr. Support Engineer Lead, System z