   Well, I pretty sure that's what we'd call it :)

   Unfortunately, I don't think our heydays of the past hold much with
the IBM of today. Of course, I'm not even remotely a holder of purse
strings. And the only way I'll be able to sell zVM and zLinux is by
showing without any real doubt that it is a cost effective platform to
implement potential planned ERP solution(s). And the funding for ERP is
likely 2 years out. Our state funding was cut 21% for 2009-2011. After
taking about a 10% cut this year.

  As for academic ventures, WSU's Computer Science department became a
program under the College of Engineering quite sometime ago. I'm also
suffering under the myth that no one is teaching "mainframe" anymore.
(As an aside, I sorta resent perception. In my day :) you didn't get
taught or trained much, we just dam well did the work :)

  In the few moments I can spare from keeping our z/OS system going and
maintained (I'm still running 1.7 in the important LPARs), I need to
show that Oracle (database and applications(ERP will likely be Banner or
Peoplesoft) runs well on zLinux and that zLinux under zVM is cost
effective in a major way over HP or Sun or other Intell farms.

  By the way, I never intended to imply that we would never buy zVM or
additional zHardware and that I wanted to do this on the sly in the long
run. I just have some (longish) short term delay. We had to cut out the
Watson newsletter and are seriously looking at any way to save some
pennies :(
  We're also very short handed do to the budget and other problems.

P.S. It's been awhile Dave, I've often wondered if you were the same
Dave Boyes that spent some time here. The 3090's been gone a long time
now.