I recently discovered a command that will clear out the caches and buffers for
linux in the later 2.6 kernels (this seems to be available for sles 10 and
higher)

sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

This frees up all the memory that linux is using as buffers and cache and
doesn't appear to have any consequences to run it.  My question for the list is:

Is there any harm in running this command, and if not, what about setting it to
run every hour or so in cron, therefore making sure that linux doesn't eat up
any more memory then it needs to?

Thanks,

Deric Abel
zLinux Administrator