On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Anthony Thompson
<anthony.thomp...@nt.gov.au> wrote:
> Excuse me?
>
> If you re-IPL a virtual machine surely it resets its environment according to
> USER DIRECT? A virtual subset of the existing IOCDS, with the virtual
> addresses and user(sic)-defined storage?

Incorrect. An IPL of the virtual machine clears some volatile things
(does a RESET) and then loads the operating system (again). Any
configuration changes that you made to your virtual machine remain
since logon remain in effect. Depending on the operating system, some
changes require an IPL to actually exploit the new configuration.

> What do you inherit from a previous instance of a virtual machine? Bit
> confused here, but I freely admit I'm a z/OS person. Isn't LINKing devices
> (190, 490, whatever) simply part of your VM profile? And isn't expanding
> storage limited by what is in USER DIRECT? If you set DEF STOR in CP/CMS and
> re-IPL your user machine, how does the next iteration remember it?

Your last question shows you correctly spotted the mistake in your
initial assumptions ;-)  Only LOGOFF / LOGON creates a new virtual
machine like specified in the current directory. Many of the
configuration changes can be done through CP commands, but it is
sometimes easier to go the full logoff/logon cycle (it also
demonstrates it will work next time after you forgot about these
changes).

Indeed, any configuration changes to your virtual machine are
restricted by the directory and external security manager, and
sometimes by available system resources.

| Rob

PS My guess is that OP was not aware that DIRMAINT was installed, and
thus activated a (slightly modified) old USER DIRECT. If DIRMAINT is
still running, DIRM DIRECT would restore things. Otherwise, depending
on the changes since then, autologging of DIRMAINT might still work...