Subject: Re: z/VM page space
From: David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
Date: Tue, June 14, 2011 12:03 pm
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

On 6/14/11 10:54 AM, "Marcy Cortes" <marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com>
wrote:

>The question is why do you need to know?

Short version: to know which guests to recycle to clear an old paging
volume without having to take a CP IPL just to get old pages off a
paging
volume.

Problem is still going to be dealing with pages written during the first
few seconds after an IPL by CP itself.

I suspect that it would be possible to tweak the page device list in
real
storage to remove the volume in question, run the CP page list in real
core and force a page in/page out sequence for pages on the volume in
question, but There Lie Big Nasty Dragons. There's a lot of interlocking
pieces and CP integrity is at stake, so it would not be simple code.

Still, CP DRAIN cuu PAGE MIGRATE sounds like a requirement to me. Its
probably going to be necessary to get the clustering stuff to behave
well,
although I suspect breaking one more thing in that rewrite is probably
going to cause riots and much wailing in Endicott.

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or