Subject: Re: z/VM page space
From: David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
Date: Thu, June 16, 2011 9:37 am
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

On 6/15/11 10:02 PM, "O'Brien, Dennis L"
<dennis.l.o'br...@bankofamerica.com> wrote:

>If you have the luxury of an IPL, this is easy. Just put Drain records
>in SYSTEM CONFIG for the volumes that you don't want pages on. CP won't
>put anything on them, not even its own pages. The original question was
>whether there's a way to move the pages later.

Yes, I understand that. If you can/are willing to IPL, great, none of
this
is a concern. The problem that exhibits is that once you're up, there is
the situation that there are internal-to-CP pages out there that no
amount
of virtual machine fiddling can do anything about -- you end up with a
volume that has 1 CP page on it, so you can't do anything with that
volume
except IPL with DRAIN records. There's no way to ask CP to please move
that one page so I can get that volume offline without doing a full IPL.

> If and when Live Guest Relocation comes out,

"If. If is good."

But anyway. IPL is a very big hammer to fix something like this. It's an
annoying thing that bugs me, which causes me to pick at it to see if
there
is a solution short of wait and see. Just thinking out loud.

-- db

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or