On 6/16/11 7:36 PM, "David Kreuter" <dkreu...@vm-resources.com> wrote:

>evil thought. Come up without paging space - paging early life will go
>to spool. Have the autolog
>machine bring up the real page volumes.

Hmm. You know, that might just work in these days of gigabyte real memory
configurations. Still no way to force CP to move the pages once they're
out there, but we change our spool volumes even less frequently than we do
page, and we probably don't really care so much with a small spillover
into spool.

It's been a while since I've tried that, and I don't remember whether CP
tries hard to get that stuff out of the spool areas when more paging space
becomes available.

> Moving spool a whole 'nuther
>thing - so who cares?

Apparently nobody but me. 8-) Ask Neale -- this happens all the time here.
He patiently listens to me think out loud. But, a "what if" that could
avoid a full IPL seems interesting...

-- db