On 9/4/19 11:39 AM, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> On 04.09.19 16:41, Scott Rohling wrote:
>> Let's start with who or what said it wasn't possible....     ?
> [...]
>>> Just to be sure, by "nss" I meant Named Saved System.
> [...]
> [...]
>
> The Linux kernel now makes use of self-patching in several places and several
> core
> features would no longer work without those.  To make NSS possible, the NSS
> would
> need to have a copy-on-write semantics instead of being read-only. With
> global patching
> we would copy almost everything over time making the feature not useful.
>
> So the feature was not only removed in SLES but will go away in other future
> distros
> and it is no longer part of the upstream kernel.

What's this? a little uptime funk? That's cool as long as it _doesn't
break other things_.

Seriously? You whacked NSS for live patching? Don't! (Too late.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRlTISvjww

Bad enough all the PUTTERING around in userland, even INIT, but now the
kernel's borken too. Babies and bath-water both banished. Bummer!

Hey, hey, hey, HAY ... Stop! ... wait a minute ... I'm a fan of advances
(hallelujah!), but not at the cost of flexibility.

I believe y'all killed XIP too, right? That was brilliant. (NOT)

Not all the world's containers (or whatever shiny thing). Don't believe
me? Just watch: I'll introduce you to a container escaper and kubernetes
breaker.

-- R; <><

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390