I agree 100%.  We decided it was too hard with all the frequent updates of the
kernel.   Memory is cheaper than it used to be.  I'm not sad to see this go so
other more important things can take place.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> On Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:51 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] NSS not possible in SLES 12

On Wednesday, 09/04/2019 at 08:16 GMT, Dave Jones <djo...@itconline.com>
wrote:
> ++1
> You guys are going backwards....

I haven't seen much traction with the NSS in the field.  Within an
organization, Linux servers are maintained in a common way across
platforms, with different servers on different schedules.  NSS messes with
that concept, for good or ill, and trying to interfere with SOP just
annoys people.

But I look at it this way, NSSes and DCSSes were a means to an end:
Conservation of memory.  It was especially important when memory was so
expensive and sysprogs were a dime a dozen.  (Remember moving the DCSSes
around for various product so they would all fit?)

The economics have changed.  Setting up an NSS is still easy (once you
know how!), but trying to persuade busy Linux admins to exploit it and
change their patching strategies to match is time neither of us have to
spare.

I'd rather see de-duplication strategies that accomplish the same thing
with minimal, if any, human involvement.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
IBM Z Delivery Practice
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323