++1
You guys are going backwards....
DJ

---
DAVID JONES | MANAGING DIRECTOR FOR ZSYSTEMS SERVICES | z/VM, Linux, and
Cloud
703.237.7370 (Office) | 281.578.7544 (CELL)

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY COMPANY

On 09.04.2019 12:03 PM, Rick Troth wrote:
On 9/4/19 11:39 AM, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
On 04.09.19 16:41, Scott Rohling wrote:
Let's start with who or what said it wasn't possible....     ?
[...]
Just to be sure, by "nss" I meant Named Saved System.
[...]
what is the reason for nss not being possible with SLES from version 12?
[...]

The Linux kernel now makes use of self-patching in several places and several core features would no longer work without those. To make NSS possible, the NSS would need to have a copy-on-write semantics instead of being read-only. With global patching we would copy almost everything over time making the feature not useful.

So the feature was not only removed in SLES but will go away in other future distros
and it is no longer part of the upstream kernel.

What's this? a little uptime funk? That's cool as long as it _doesn't
break other things_.

Seriously? You whacked NSS for live patching? Don't! (Too late.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRlTISvjww

Bad enough all the PUTTERING around in userland, even INIT, but now the
kernel's borken too. Babies and bath-water both banished. Bummer!

Hey, hey, hey, HAY ... Stop! ... wait a minute ... I'm a fan of advances
(hallelujah!), but not at the cost of flexibility.

I believe y'all killed XIP too, right? That was brilliant. (NOT)

Not all the world's containers (or whatever shiny thing). Don't believe
me? Just watch: I'll introduce you to a container escaper and kubernetes
breaker.

-- R; <><

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390