From: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> On Behalf Of Dave Jones
Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:31 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: [EXT] Re: NSS not possible in SLES 12

[Actual Sender is owner-linux-...@vm.marist.edu]

++1
You guys are going backwards....
DJ

---
DAVID JONES | MANAGING DIRECTOR FOR ZSYSTEMS SERVICES | z/VM, Linux, and
Cloud
703.237.7370 (Office) | 281.578.7544 (CELL)

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY COMPANY

On 09.04.2019 12:03 PM, Rick Troth wrote:
> On 9/4/19 11:39 AM, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
>> On 04.09.19 16:41, Scott Rohling wrote:
>>> Let's start with who or what said it wasn't possible....     ?
>> [...]
>> [...]
>> [...]
>>
>> The Linux kernel now makes use of self-patching in several places and
>> several core
>> features would no longer work without those.  To make NSS possible,
>> the NSS would
>> need to have a copy-on-write semantics instead of being read-only.
>> With global patching
>> we would copy almost everything over time making the feature not
>> useful.
>>
>> So the feature was not only removed in SLES but will go away in other
>> future distros
>> and it is no longer part of the upstream kernel.
>

> What's this? a little uptime funk? That's cool as long as it _doesn't
> break other things_.
>
> Seriously? You whacked NSS for live patching? Don't! (Too late.)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRlTISvjww
>

> Bad enough all the PUTTERING around in userland, even INIT, but now the
> kernel's borken too. Babies and bath-water both banished. Bummer!
>

> Hey, hey, hey, HAY ... Stop! ... wait a minute ... I'm a fan of
> advances
> (hallelujah!), but not at the cost of flexibility.
>
> I believe y'all killed XIP too, right? That was brilliant. (NOT)
>

> Not all the world's containers (or whatever shiny thing). Don't believe
> me? Just watch: I'll introduce you to a container escaper and
> kubernetes
> breaker.
>

> -- R; <><

> send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390
> or visit
> http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390
Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message transmission, including any
attachment(s), may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information
from CAS, a division of the American Chemical Society ("ACS"). If you have
received this transmission in error, be advised that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited. Please destroy all copies of the message and contact the sender
immediately by either replying to this message or calling 614-447-3600.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390