From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Wayne Hines)
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:02:04 GMT

In an earlier episode, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
wrote:

> A fancy acar and a television set aren't much use if I can't afford a
> house in a safe neighbourhood and I can't afford food. Neither of those
> are terribly cheap in the US. ( though I can't say how much they are
> in Canada. In Australia, housing and food are certainly much cheaper. )

Food is cheap in Canada. I believe the percentage of income it
takes to feed oneself is the lowest in the industrialized
world(or close to the lowest). Housing is not bad, depending on
location.

gwh

# [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     G. Wayne Hines #
# Team OS/2                              Kentville, NS, Canada #
# I don't wanna work. I just want to ride on the train all day #
#     http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/w.d.hines/express.html       #

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Wayne Hines)
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:02:06 GMT

In an earlier episode, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>       If you're in Canada, you're likely not going to be able to
>       afford a house, PERIOD, never mind the nieghborhood.

I guess that shows how much you know.

gwh

# [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     G. Wayne Hines #
# Team OS/2                              Kentville, NS, Canada #
# I don't wanna work. I just want to ride on the train all day #
#     http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/w.d.hines/express.html       #

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,talk.bizarre
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mathew)
Subject: Re: Why We Should Be Nice To Windows Users -was- Neologism of the day
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 12:21:56 GMT

EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mathew) wrote:
> >EdWIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Nope.  Windows isn't "shit," so it's not that kind of
> >>argument.
> >
> >It's a metaphor, oh pointy-headed one.
>
> Did I say it wasn't?   It's a bogus argument.  It's something a
> loony would say.

So you admit that argumentum ad populum is something a loony would
use...

> >> You do know that Motorola, Adobe, and Pixar have all
> >> standardized on NT, right?
> >
> >I find the Pixar one unlikely, but I'm prepared to believe it
> >because it's utterly irrelevant argumentum at populum.
>
> You find it irrelevant that Steve Job's own company uses NT?  Do
> you think he allows his company to "fall over" several times a
> week?"   What about Adobe and Motorola?  Are they "falling over"
> too?

...and then you continue with your argumentum ad populum.  Well, that
about wraps it up for your credibility then.

mathew

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advocacy or Mental Illness ?
Date: 4 Jun 2000 08:24:47 -0500

JEDIDIAH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 25 May 2000 04:32:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>

>>On Thu, 25 May 2000 03:30:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>>wrote:

>>>     That's rather perverse considering the one that has the
>>>     CP/M & DOS heritage. There's nothing 'stone age' about
>>>     Unix except for the fact that Win/DOS was in the stone
>>>     age when Unix was running on hardware comparable to
>>>     current machines.
>>

>>And DOS advanced and UNIX stayed put right in the stone age where it
>>belongs. Oh yea BTW Linux is NOT Unix. Linux is Linux and it sucks.
>
>       The 'stone age' where it was multi-tasking, mult-user,
>       robust and 32bit. Today's PC buzzwords, those things that
>       you think are so 'new' are just ancient history for Unix,
>       or VMS, or MVS or any other serious workhorse OS.

Today's PCs have graffics and are easy to use wile UNIX is still rite where it
started-- it's still
just like DOS but with lower case letters.

>>Don't try and compare it to REAL Unix, please.
>
>       You aren't possesed of sufficient details to support that
>       'comparison'.

>>>     Those that track such numbers seem to think that Linux
>>>     is doing quite well for itself in terms of sales.
>>
>>Sure they do. When they sell 10 copies of Linux in April and 20 copies
>>in May you have a 100 percent increse. Get real already. Linux has not
>>even made a chink in Windows armour.
>>

>>>[deletia]
>>>
>>>     How far into the 21st century will it be before DOS is finally
>>>     killed off once and for all?
>>

>>Can't tell you. I don't run DOS. But Linux will be dead in 2 years or
>>so. Unix will survive, but Linux will be dead.
>
>       If you run consumer Windows, you ultimately still run DOS.

You only run DOS when you go to DOS Mode or open a DOS box. All the rest of the time
your in
Windos. In UNIX you half to have a DOS box open all the time because the grafficle
apps are shitty
and useless.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C Lund)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 14:35:13 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Wiltshire
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Sure. But sooner or later, the gap will be filled. I wouldn't be surprized
> >if the distand future involved free opensource OSes with commercial GUIs
> >riding on top - kinda like Darwin + OS X. ;)
> That's not such a bad model.  In a lot of ways it gives the best of
> both worlds.

The problem with that is that the UI and the OS will be two seperate
entities, and not an integrated unity. But we'll see how well it works for
OS X. I'm optimistic myself.

--

C Lund
http://www.notam.uio.no/~clund/

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BAD ENTRY IN /etc/ld.so.preload CAUSING ERROR IN LINUX BOOT UP
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 13:59:58 +0200

Krithika Chidambaram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I have a bad entry in /etc/ld.so.preload which is causing the init
> program at start up to fail saying
> <bad entry>: error in loading shared library.
>
> How can I fix this?

vi /etc/ld.so.preload

look for a bad entry, correct it or erase it.  That should be it (except
maybe,
that lib is corrupted or non-existant).

> Thank You

Youīre welcome.

Marc

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tholen's Thole tholenated - Thread now tholenified
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 14:25:00 +0200

Shock Boy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
6dd_4.958$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> "EdWIN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <ovlX4.102
> > $[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Shock Boy"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >"Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > message

>                ^^^^
>             ( LOOK RIGHT ABOVE THIS POINT )

Itīs telling me "If A"... is that correct???

> > can prove is

> > attention?
> > >
> > >You stated "IF". Not that it "IS".
> >
> > Typical erroneous and unsubstantiated claim.
>
> I guess you can not read a few lines above?
>
> What is "erroneous and unsubstantiated" about my claim? It clearly shows
> that it stated "IF" and not that it "IS"

Thatīs what he said.  The point might be, that you shouldīve used
"when" instead of "if", to make your point clear.

If A=C+D, and B=C+D, does A=B?

Marc

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Drestin is an anal-cough-licker!
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 14:11:46 +0200

Boris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
gep_4.58967$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Another asshole. Come suck my linux after I shi..(linux). You see I
actually have a linux
> and use it.
>
> Boris

Where can I see, that youīre using Linux?  Your X-Newsreader says M$ OE5.

I want proof!

Marc

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 13:55:08 +0200

Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
M2q_4.16870$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> You have a problem with me asking for proof?

I donīt have a problem with you asking for proof.  I got a problem
w/ the following facts:

 a)  Anytime, somebody is stating something, not even remotely tied
      to Windows or M$ in general, you ask for proof.
 b)  You donīt ask for proof, if anybody would state just the same thing
      about M$/Windows
 c)  You donīt accept things as given
 d)  You donīt even accept facts, which were basically proven
       (e.g.  the beta-version of 2.4 is 2.3(.xx))
 e)  I hardly ever see you prove anything yourself.  You talk the talk
      but in the same line, you canīt proove it.
 f)  Youīre lacking self-confidence.  Thatīs, why you attack OSS and its
     supporters (and M$ alternatives in general), just because they donīt
     share your totalitarian point of view in computer-biz.
 g) Youīre running out of argumentation quite early.

> You are right:    Prove it!

Just read comna.  Your general attitude isnīt pro-W2K, but anti-anti-M$.

> Why should I not ask for proof when someone tries to lie or makes claims I
> believe untrue?

Because one never has to demand things, he canīt keep up with himself.
Youīre spreading lies (or at least half-truths) yourself quite often.

While weīre at it:  Do you know the  meaning of "quite"?
Itīs not "to stop/leave something".  Thatīd be "to quit".
"Quite" would be closer in its meaning to "rather".  Just because I read
it repeatedly in your posts.  It might confuse people.

> Why are you afraid of proof? If I'm so full of "horse-poop" then I'm sure

Iīm noit afraid of proof.

> people will provide the proof of my error. I mean, if I'm so damned stupid
> and wrong, why aren't my posts negated by proof otherwise?

What? like the fact, that the PGP-bug only affected Linux/*BSD, because
it affected a feature unknown to WinPGP?
Or the fact, that 2.4 is about as real as W2K-DC?
Cīmon, buddy.

> Your frustration I understand, you are going against a superior OS without
> any angle to attack. But, don't take it out on me bub...

Iīm not going against a so called "superior" OS (that shitty piece of
software, that doesnīt even recognize my standard-protocol-IR-mouse
isnīt worth it)
.  Iīm going against you in person.  I was picking a fight against *you*,
just the way, youīre always picking a fight against OSS-people in
c.o.l.a.  Iīm doing this for fun, not profit.
And I had a hell of a laugh.  Thanks, Dres.

Oh, before I forget:  Iīm expecting some backfeed by June 16
or else Iīll denunciate you as a weenie!

> "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8hbudk$los$10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > na na na na naaaaaa na!
> >
> > Drestin, you are just full of horse-poop.
> >
> > Guess what?  I already know your answer:
> >
> > "Proof it!"

I apologize for having written "Prove it" the wrong way.

> > You know, thatīs really funny.  You demand proof
> > from people without never ever prooving anything
> > yourself.
> >
> > Anyway, I like your childish anti-anti-M$-behavior.
> > Keep up the goo work.

Itīs sīposed to be "good work", of course.  It was late last night.

> > Cheerfully yours,
> >

> > Marc

Marc

PS: Lemmings are so predictable.
PPS:  The best proof is this thread.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:38:39 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when G. Wayne Hines would say:
>In an earlier episode, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher
>Browne) wrote:
>> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when G. Wayne Hines would say:
>
>> >Actually, I think the NS government should get on the ball and
>> >try to attract MS to Cape Breton. :-)
>>
>> Wouldn't the Irvings complain about not being sole owners of the
>> province anymore?
>
>Wrong province. The Irvings own New Brunswick. They're working
>on Nova Scotia though.

One of my brothers is in Halifax, and occasionally gripes about the oil
tank rental, _from Irving_.

I'm sure the Irvings would be unhappy not having "first dibs" on the
nearby provinces...
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
Is A.I. Possible?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Why UNIX Rocks
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:38:40 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when [EMAIL PROTECTED] would say:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote:
>
>>      No it isn't. There is plenty of !VMS being used effectively
>>      enough for 'real work'. That's the essential catch here.
>
>My basis is more anti-Linux, than pro-VMS. I'm sure there are many fine
>systems besides VMS, but VMS is the main system besides Linux which I
>have exposure to. Hence, I use it as my example.

This is certainly a more _interesting_ position to argue from than the
typical "I love Microsoft, Linux sux" discussion.

Unlike Microsoft's OSes, VMS is, most certainly, capable of being used
under conditions that require high reliability.  There may be a high
price to pay to get high performance; Digital was never cheap, and I
doubt Compaq is shaving the prices to get loss leaders.

>>      What DBMSes under VMS maintain themselves sufficiently enough
>>      to never require any sort of interruption of service at the
>>      daemon level, ever?
>
>I have no idea as I'm not a database person. Oracle, maybe? Which does
>it under Linux? Isn't this more of an application issue anyways (unless
>this functionality somehow depends on some Unix'ism which VMS doesn't
>have)?

I think this one's pretty sterile, as issues go.

Oracle is reasonably "maintenance-happy," on just about _any_ platform.
It likes to be taken down periodically for tablespace reorgs, and those
generally require taking the whole DB down.

The other _major_ option on VMS was RDB, which is now owned by Oracle,
and likely not one of the major "for sale" items on their list.

Establishing the "clear superiority" of either UNIX or VMS on the basis
of how well DBMSes maintain themselves is liable to be a troublesome
task, and would really only establish the competence (or lack thereof)
of the DBMS vendor, as opposed to that of the OS.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rpent001)
Subject: Can't install Linux on my system.
Date: 04 Jun 2000 12:42:52 GMT

I am trying to install Linux on my system and I only get as far as it saying
"Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel." and it freezes.  Is there
anything that I might be overlooking here?  It's probably something so stupid.

I am booting directly from the CD-ROM and I had formatted the hard disk with
the tools that came with the hard drive itself. (Should I format it
differently?)  I would really like to get this system running because I think
Linux will be pretty cool.  I use a UNIX box at work and I wanted to get to
know more about the commands on my own time so I figured I would install Linux
(The commands are mostly the same right?)

Well, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks to all who reply.

-Rick

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 4 Jun 2000 08:46:13 -0500

Marc Schlensog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>> It's amazing how twisted the folks around here are. Linux is a stone
>> age system that quite frankly the public at large, at least in the
>> USA, has ignored and continues to ignore.
>Well, image, there is a civilization, that first appeared sometime in the
>stone age.  It developed, grew stronger, got harder and tougher and
>more skilled as the time went by.
>On the other hand, you have a civilization,  that appeared first a couple of
>thousand of years after the first one, that was trying to be sleek and swell
>and very popular.  When they got to a certain point, they realized that they
>couldnīt develop any further.  So they sorted out some people and
>sought for guys from other tribes, captured them put them in chains and
>created a whole new civ.  With all the lacks and faults as the first one,
>except maybe, that it looks nicer and is more popular (but dumb as shit).
>What is the civilization, you would prefer?
>

>> Think about it. Person goes into CompUSA with $100 and is confronted
>> with Windows for $89.00 and Linux for $29.00 or better yet for free.
>> Yet they go for Windows every time based on market share.
>>
>> They can't even GIVE LINUX AWAY!!!!
>
>There are several things, that count for an OS:
>The OS has to be secure
>The OS has to have lots of applications
>The OS has to be fast
>The OS has to have lots of applications
>The OS has to be robust
>The OS has to have lots of applications
>The OS has to be secure
>The OS has to have lots of applications
>The OS has to have lots of applications
>The OS has to have lots of applications

Windos is fast and its secure and it has lots of appleacations and it does evything
people needs it
to do and UNIX just makes you tipe commands thats' why Windos is #1 and UNIX is #1000
(and droping).

>> Linux is for lusers. It best serves folks who like to fiddle and fuss
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    Prove, please.  Why is anyone, who uses Linux, run his apps,
>    gets along just fine without troubleshooting (when it runs, it runs)
>    a "luser", compared to those very "1337"-Windows(TM) users,
>    who bitch about a crashing OS at least once a month (most of the
>   time even more)?

Because they half to bitch about Linux crashing every day just because X Windos can't
run for more
than 5 minnutes at a time (not like the real Windos) and if it does its' useless
because you still
half to tipe commands just like X-Windos was'nt even their.

>   Can you dipshit tell me this one? Can you just one fucking reason?

UNIX loosers dont' do anything but tipe command in DOS box.

>> with their computers.
>> I stopped that routine 10 years ago.
>Yeah, you rely on a bunch of some incompetent, untrained "programmers",
>as almost everybody running Windows.  We have seen the results a couple
>of days ago (still remember I-LOVE-YOU.TXT.vbs ???).

I LOVE YOU was caused by iresponsable UNIX wannabe hacker tipe not by good Windos
users. Just arest
the hacker not Widnows.

>> When the Linux zealots start listening to what REAL people want(hint
>> compilers and editor wars need not apply) maybe, just maybe they will
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Well, yes, for the regular user, they are pretty useless.

UNIX is usesless for users because all its' for is editters and compialers. You can't
even send
e-mail with UNIX without edditting it with an edditer wear you tipe commands and
compialing it.

>> gain market share, until then forget it
>What is it, people want?  An office suite?  K-Office, Applixware, SOffice
>(yuck)
>Games? Quake, Unreal, Civilization, <a hell lot more and even more to come>

Gaimes only run on Linux after they're a yere or two old and they half to be
configured again and
again and they run slowe rthan on Windos. If you want to run good gaimes without
tiping run Windos.
If you want to eddit and compial fials and waist time tiping endless command run UNIX.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 09:05:14 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The sad Linux story

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Hallock) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Hold Ctrl down and left click  - piece of cake.  It is right there in
> >section 4.4 of the help:
>
> Didn't work for me.

There you are doing something wrong.

> >I had some problems with the early alpha versions, but it runs fine now.
>
> This is V1.0. It died instantly I touched the DOC tab.

V 1.2 works fine.

> >> Let's take a look at StarOffice. It is unable to see directories on my
> >> Windows partition. God knows why, every else can.
> >>

> >I just tried this.  It works fine for me.
>
> So what? Good for you. It doesn't work for me.

Did you rememer to mount the Windowa partition.  I assume you did since you
say other things can read it.

> >Except you were wrong in all your points with the possible exception of
> >kmpg (I'll have to try it sometime)
>
> How am I wrong? It doesn't work when I try it on my system! Are you
> accusing me of lying?
>
> Pete

No one else has the problems you are having.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 13:09:47 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >You can't figure out how to hold down the control key and click the left
> >mouse button on the files you wanted?
>
> I tried CTRL. As soon as I touched, all the files I just selected,
> deselected.

I selected one using CTRL.  Then released and selected two more with
CTRL.
Then released and picked up one more  for a total of 4 selected and I
lost nothing here.

> >> Let's take a look at StarOffice. It is unable to see directories on my
> >> Windows partition. God knows why, every else can.
> >
> >Well, I can't do this as I don't have any anymore.
> >I blew away all my WINCRAP 3 years ago.
>
> So you can do, so what? It doesn't work for me.

Hum.  Very interesting story.

> >Starting up kmpg.  Launching from file via KDE file browser box.....
> >Nope.  Didn't have that problem.
>
> Try doing it from File | Open on kmpg like I said. You're always returned
> to your home directory.

Nope.  Still can't repeat this.

I want one other individual at least, from this newsgroup to
try these couple of tests on their distribution and see
if they can be replicated.

> >What distribution are you running?
>
> Linux Mandrake 7.0
>
> Pete