From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the truth about linux
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:00:40 -0700

"Public " wrote:

> Here are some humorous snippets from a site located at
>http://members.aol.com/erichuf/Linux.html
>
> Finally! somebody willing to tell the truth!

<snip>
> ---
> This message did not originate from the Sender address above.
> It was posted with the use of anonymizing software at
> http://anon.xg.nu
> ---
Not a credible source. A grade "d" troller who is a coward or ashamed.
All your losedose advocates, I want to here some trolling about how
wonderful .Net and losedos xp are. And where is the lovable Flatfish+++.
At least it seems that Flatfish++++ actually tried to use Linux.

--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Yet more XBox bogification...
Date: 19 Mar 2001 04:10:16 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Edwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "John C. Randolph" wrote:
>>
>> Chad Myers wrote:
>> >
>> > "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:9933mv$4gc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > So basically, some moron posts a lie to a message board,
>> > and suddenly it's news and suddenly it's fact.
>>
>> He didn't lie, fool.
>>
>> read this:
>>
>> http://xbox.ign.com/news/32476.html
>>
>> MicroSquish admitted it.
>>
>> -jcr

> Here's what they "admitted" to:

>               "Some of the images for Amped released during Gamestock were
>                 enhanced to illustrate some features that will be in the
> final
>                 product. While this is a common practice for games so
> early in
>                 development, we apologize for the confusion. No one
> intended to
>                 be deceptive. Everyone was so busy prepping for
> Gamestock, that
>                 we just missed the fact that these were labeled "concept
> art".
>                 Frankly, we're impressed with the skillz of those
> digital
>                 sleuths! Nice work!""

>                " The version shown at GameStock featured identical
> terrain as the
>                 shots, but the boarder models were of much lower
> quality.
>                 Basically they took the real-time snow that is used in
> the game
>                 and added a new boarder model and a HUD to it. "

> End quote.

> There's no "lying" going on at all.  I've seen protypes from other game
> companies. This is common practice.

Which game companies exactly?  Can you provide urls to screenshots?

Thanks in advance.

=====.

--
"ambition makes you look pretty ugly;
kicking and squealing, gucci little piggy"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software <gloat!>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:48:17 -0800

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:47:15 -0600,
 Erik Funkenbusch, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:992igb$c30$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> >Well, they are claiming ther are backdoors without any real evidence.
>That
>> >means they're believing what they hear, rather than what they know to be
>> >fact.
>>
>> No. They are claiming there *may* be backdoors, and that this
>*possibility*
>> is a risk not worth taking in certain situations.
>
>And your own programmes might be putting back doors in themselves.  Unless
>you do everything yourself, or have checked everything yourself thoroughly,
>there *may* be backdoors in almost anything, open source or not.

yup, but with the code, you can check, without, you hope...

>> Simple question --- when you leave your house, do you lock the door? If
>so,
>> why do you do it? Do you have any evidence that between the time you leave
>and
>> the time you come back, someone will come by and try to get in and steal
>> your stuff?
>
>The difference is that I lock my door with commercial grade locks.  I don't
>use a custom designed vault door.

With closed source, you might have a great lock on the front door, but the
vendor left the back door unlocked...

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 04:49:30 GMT

J Sloan wrote:

> Brent R wrote:
>
> > J Sloan wrote:

>http://members.aol.com/erichuf/Linux.html

> > > Nah, just another silly troll....
> > >
> > > jjs
> >
> > And this, Young Jedi, is why you fail. Instead of responding to the
> > points the article makes, you simply dismiss it and the reader.
>
> Sorry, I don't have enough hours in the day to read
> every lame anti linux article. If you want to spend your
> time on that happy bs, knock yourself out.
>
> jjs

Then... why did you respond at all?
--
Happy Trails!

-Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory needed to run linux / X windows ???
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 04:44:32 GMT

Ian Pulsford wrote:

> Hmmm, you must be doing something wrong, your video card sucks in a big
> way, or you're using a serial cable?

I was using redhat 6.2 with just the defaults
with GNOME and sawfish running as a window
manager.

I don't bother tweaking my machine
very far away from the default settings.

If the machine is slow, I just throw it
out and buy new hardware.

------------------------------

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 04:54:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Jim Naylor wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edwin
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> There's no "lying" going on at all.  I've seen
>> protypes from other game companies. This is common practice.
>> >
>> > Edwin
>>
>> "I have never outrightly lied on this group
>> in spite of whatever you think to the contrary.
>> Alright I lied. But except in the case of
>> Macsbug and DONK nobody had me dead to rights.
>> I lied. So sue me."   --   EdWIN Thorne
>
>Jim Naylor once again trots out his cut-and-paste creation.   He wants
>to make certain no one will ever mistake him for one who pocesses morals
>or ethics.

You are so very fortunate that the dejanews archive is unvailable.

It lets you spin out this lie almost as long as you denied that you
posted as Macsbug and the rest.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

------------------------------

From: "Masha Ku' Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:21:48 -0500

<snipped a lot of .. well. . snipped a lot>

I see that Charlie's coffee was rather strong this morning, huh? His
eloquence has hit a new low.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Selling to the masses
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:24:05 -0500

Rex Ballard wrote:

> [...]
>
> What is truly astonishing is that there are IT executives, CTOs and
> CIOs, who have
> absolutely no hands-on experience with ANY flavor of UNIX who claim to
> be qualified
> to make corporate IT architecture and infrastructure decisions.  It's
> like saying
> you understand MIS when you have absolutely no CICS, MVS, or VM/CMS
> exposure.
>
> >     Perhaps it's a deep seated complex that causes these people to resent
> > anyone else joining their exclusive little club, but the only ones they
> > really hurt are themselves. Their behavior only puts off others and
> > consequently software companies from supporting Linux.
>
> Actually, it's a fundamental characteristic of human nature.  When you
> do the extra
> work, make the extra effort, and provide an extraordinarily
> cost-effective solution
> that consistently exceeds expectations, and you are overruled by someone
> who is more
> interested it protecting his stock portfolio holdings in Microsoft than
> he or she is
> committed to the earnings report of his own corporation, you are
> naturally upset.
> It's like working 60 hours/week from the time you were 12 years old to
> be one of
> the top professionals in your industry only to have you ex-wife and her
> boy-friend
> collecting half your after-tax income after the Feds and States have
> taken their 50%.
> You work very hard for 20 years only to have the leeches and looters
> suck away 80% for
> drugs, sex, and sloth.
>
> >     The normal people amongst us try and help other people progress their
> > knowledge of Linux but there are sadly far too many who just dedicate their
> > lives to rudeness and attempt to put others off.
>
> You have a point.  Telling some overpaid 3-piece suit who thinks Access
> should be
> the enterprise database standard and collects more income from vendors
> and stock
> options then he will ever earn from honest labor that he's ignorant,
> uninformed,
> too lazy to even make the effort to gather the information to make an
> informed
> decision, and questioning his qualifications as an IT executive is not a
> wise
> career move.
>
> Of course, the day eventually comes when his boss, the CEO, the CFO, or
> another top
> executive DOES do the proper research.  They hear that Linux might save
> them 20%,
> discover they can save as much as 90%, and suddenly you have Windows
> Gurus having
> their heads handed to them on a platter.  Some are even having their
> finances
> investigated and are at risk of criminal charges.

It's about goddamned time...

> >     Maybe it all stems from being bullied at school for being nerds or
> > something....
>
> This also might be a part of it.  I remember one VP of IT whose
> backgound included being
> captain of the football team, president of his fraternity, and marginal
> knowledge of
> Microsoft Office.  He suggested that we use Windows 3.11 as our web
> server, that we used
> Windows 3.51 to replace our mainframe, and that we use Windows 95 to
> replace our UNIX
> systems.  In 20/20 hindsight these reccomendations seem absurd.  But in
> each case, he
> managed to find some stupid sucker who would sign the reccomendation in
> exchange for
> a promotion, and would take the heat for the stupid decision.  I've been
> offered two
> "Gallows Jobs", which I left within weeks of realizing the nature of the
> job.  They
> love to get UNIX gurus who they can threaten into signing a Windows
> reccomendation.
> They get benifits from Microsoft, they pass the buck to the UNIX guru
> (who did know better
> and has probably left smoking guns all over the place, but his PC will
> be erased 10
> minutes after his last day.
>
> --
> Rex Ballard
> It Architect
> http://www.open4success.com

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Masha Ku' Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:26:34 -0500

> At one time in our history they practically conquered the world.

Um...

No.

Unless you consider most of Eurpoe, and a smidgen of Northern Africa to have
practically conquered the "world" would I agree.

But no.

They over ran a good part of Eurpoe, paraded in Paris, goose-stepped almost
to Moscow, and played in the Sahara, babysat Mussolini, and tried to wipe
out the whole of Eurpoe's various "non-Aryan" ethnicities.

But they had far more to conquer if they were to conquer the world.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:37:30 -0500

Charles Lyttle wrote:

> "Norman D. Megill" wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > GreyCloud  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > >Yep, we do!  When we purchased some VAXes we got source code,
> > >schematics, the whole works.  Same for microsoft stuff.  Of course
> > >agreements of non-disclosure and security protecting their proprietary
> > >software were in place.  After reviewing their source code all I can say
> > >is that the mil. now calls it messy-dos!
> >
> > It is true that selected organizations can get Windows source code.  But
> > there is no way a few dozen or even a few hundred of the organization's
> > programmers could do an adequate audit of the source code.  There is
> > simply too much source code.  And what a waste; since the NDA prevents
> > sharing, each organization must duplicate the effort of the others.
> > Even Microsoft's entire body of programmers has demonstrated time and
> > again that they allow serious security holes to slip through.
> >
> > There is no substitute for having thousands, possibly millions, of
> > programmers around the world scrutinize open source code for security
> > holes.  Not even Microsoft's coffers can buy that kind of auditing.
> >
> > --Norm
> And how do you verify that the code you got is the code that was used in
> the build?

Simple you idiot...****YOU***** COMPILE IT.

Stupid little shithead...

> --
> Russ Lyttle
> "World Domination through Penguin Power"
> The Universal Automotive Testset Project at
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:40:53 -0800

Anonymous quoth:

>> > no, personal experience.
>> > a generally impassable learning curve = user hostile.
>>
>> UNIX learning curve isn't impassable. I passed it easily.
>
> i said generally.
> the exceptions do not make the rules.

You are wrong.  Unix is generally easyier because the designers
generally got things right the first time.  Microsoft has still not
figured out that the best methodology is to build a system by creating
small, interoperable applications rather than monolithic beasts that
try and be everything for all users.

give me interoperabele, extensible and lightweight any day.

> no formal training whatsoever.
> i'd fucked around with it a bit tho. a friend of mine showed me the
> basic stuff and i think i took one page of notes - various basic
> control panels, stupid right mouse button tricks, the standard menu
> layout in office.

Wow.  You learned how to use a graphical interface.  I'm impressed.

>  and most important of all - where to find help.
> (it's usually cleverly hidden in the 'help' menu)

The difference being that something like this:

[salvador@localhost java]$ info application

Will actually yield a helpful result.

This is of course, holding aside the links to the several thousand
pages of html help documentation, howto's, etc. that were installed
with my system out of the box.

> as i recall it consisted of a bunch of barebones windows where you
> could punch in command line stuff and occasionally show a peecture.
> real user friendly.
> not.

Xwindows just provides the user interface.  the rest comes with the
window/desktop managers/environments.  My system, utilizes gnome and
kde components in a kde environment and came out of the box with
several hundred of the following graphical applications:

games
visual enhancers for the visually impaired
archiving tools ( cd burner, compression, etc. )
configuration tools
links to beginner's guide, help, howto's
graphics programs ( gimp, screen capture, et al )
sound programs ( cd mixer, player, et al )
video programs ( viewer, studio )
networking programs ( browsers, editors, mail, news, ftp, et al )
full office suite
terminals
calculator
monitoring tools
file tools

I installed maybe 30-40% of the graphical applications that were
available to me, and they are still 3-4 timkes more applications
available to me under windows, and most are of a higher quality.

--

Salvador Peralta                   -o)
Programmer/Analyst, Webmaster      / \

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Judge Harry Edwards comments....
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:40:26 -0500

Andy Walker wrote:

> At the very least in America they have addressed the problem of Microsoft's
> behaviour and bought the monopoly argument into the public domain.
> What I want to know is when the British Government will even show an
> interest in consumer rights in any shape or form. This doesn't just apply to
> computer operating systems either. Look at the price of the machines
> themselves over here!

That's because of your taxes...especially taxes on vehicle fuels.

Taxing one thing pushes up the cost of EVERYTHING.

Taxing fuels most of all

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:38:47 +0600

Alan Baker wrote:

> 'Today, Microsoft released this statement on www.xbox.com:
>
> "Some of the images for Amped released during Gamestock were enhanced to
> illustrate some features that will be in the final product. ...

And we know how good MS is about ensuring that all their brag features actually
make it into their final products.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 06:55:10 +0100

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> evidence.
>> to be

>> agreement
>> no-disassembly
>> >
>> > The Microsoft EULA specifically prohibits this.
>>
>> However, the law specifically allows it, regardless of EULA in various
>> circumstances.
>>
>> > So, you are suggesting that the only way to trust a Microsoft system
>> > is to violate your license agreement.
>>
>> You can't violate it if you don't agree to it.  For instance, you could
>> disassemble the code directly off the CD without ever installing it.  In
>> any event, as I said, the no-dissasembly clause is invalid if it's used
>> to hide illegal activitiy.
>>
>> > Thank you for that telling admission, dumbfuck.
>>
>> Why do you always resort to profanity to back up your arguments, rather
>> than facts?
>
> Simply pointing out exactly what you are...DUMBFUCK.

Disassembling would be much too hard work for that little OS. The
Bundeswehr has had a look at the german police which has a lot of
Linux-PC's working and they are satisfied.  The parliament of
Schleswig-Holstein voted about using Linux, but they decided to stay happy
with M$ (Politicians......).

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using S.u.S.E. 4.3 and SuSE 7.1

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Here's a load of horse crap
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:57:59 +0600

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/default.asp

Oh, the demands of being a big corporation's Visionary In Chief.

Wanna bet he takes a cue from LRHubbard and starts a "religion" before
he dies?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Hell of Bill Gates
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:54:08 +0600

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Bill Gates dies and goes to Hell.

I liked the "that was just the demo" version of the joke better.  Also
more apropos today, what with X-box images going around and all.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas