From: "Jon A. Cruz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux.sucks,comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!!
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 23:18:04 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Why should deleting a root-level *FILE* fuck up the ENTIRE FILESYSTEM.
> >
> > This is indicative of some INCREDIBLY, SERIOUSLY bad fucking
> > programming.
>
> Ironically, this was a bug from back before MS bought FrontPage from VTI.
>
> But of course, those pesky facts wouldn't bother people like you, it's
> all, in the end, Microsoft's fault right? Plauge, war, famine... it's all
> Gates' fault, eh?

Well...

At least he did take the blame for the decision on the 640k limit.

comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 06:43:03 GMT

On 09/03/2000 at 08:31 PM,
   "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> > The cost per student for the private schools is the tuition. They get no
> > other funding.
> >

> Not true.

> Religious schools receive large amounts of money from their affiliated
> church.

That is far, far, far, far, far from a universal truth. In SOME Roman
Catholic dioceses, the diocese provides some funding. In others, not a
cent. There is NO hierarchy for the Quakers. Each Meeting is totally
independent and there is no central organization which provides funding of
any sort to Quaker schools. Ditto for the plethora of indpendent Christian
schools which are only related to a single church.

> Non-religious private schools tend to have an endowment (in the case of
> my kids' school, the endowment paid about half the cost of the
> education).

Some do, many do not. My Alma Mater does have an endowment of about
$2,300,000. At 10% that would provide $230,000 per year or less than
$1,000 per pupil were it used for general fund purposes which it is not.
Yet the tuition is lower by well over $2,500 per year what local public
schools are spending per pupil. And my school is relatively "rich" when it
comes to endowments for private prep schools in this area.

> In both religious and non-religious schools, there _are_ other sources,
> although these tend to be much smaller. Fund raisers, government aid for
>  targeted programs, etc.

Fund raisers provide only a tiny bit of money, generally for some specific
project such as a class trip, etc. Our public schools here in NJ hold as
many fund raisers for these things as to the private or parochial schools.

No matter how one slices it, the vast majority of private and charter
schools provide a superior education at a lower cost per pupil than public
schools in the same area.

Bob Germer from Mount Holly, NJ - E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Proudly running OS/2 Warp 4.0 w/ FixPack 14
MR/2 Ice 2.20 Registration Number 67
Finishing in 2nd place makes you first loser

comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 06:47:16 GMT

On 09/03/2000 at 08:29 PM,
   "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Second, their stated tuition figures seem far too low. I can only guess
> that it's because Catholic schools make up such a large percentage --
> just those schools which are receive much of their expenses from sources
> other than tuition.

You are blowing smoke. My sister is a Roman Catholic very active in her parish which
does not at the present have a parish elementary school. They wish to start one and
are currently working on the documentation requisite to receive PERMISSION to build
and open one. The Archdiocese of Philadelphia does NOT provide any funding for
building, operating costs, etc. The only thing it provides is a guarantee to the
parish of the mortgages since technically the Archdiocese owns the land. However, in
order to recieve such permission, the parish must first raise $1,800,000 in
unencumbered cash from among the parishioners who are of course also taxpayers.

From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 06:50:01 GMT

On 09/04/2000 at 04:57 AM,
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) said:

> Hi germer.  Looks like you're still as fucking insane as ever.  Please
> remove comp.os.linux.advocacy from your followups, retard.

I don't check who crossposted what to where. If I see absolute lies like
you post, I respond to them for anyone infected with your idiocy and
deceit to be made aware of just what a useless human you are.

From: Andrew Carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux.sucks,comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:29:09 +1030

Zenin wrote:

> abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         >snip<
> :> Exactly the point. Anyone who creats a FrontPage web at the root of their
> :> filesystem isn't too bright to begin with. Blaming it entirely on MS
> :> isn't exactly fair, anymore than blaming the people who wrote rm for
> :> making rm -rf /* possible.
> :
> : 'rm -Rf /*'.
>
>         Nit picking about -r vs -R is a little silly...especially
>         considering -r is more commonly used and (at least slightly) more
>         portable:

While we're nitpicking, let's not ignore the fact that, no matter how
dangerous 'rm -rf /*' might be in its ability to delete anything, it can
only do so if you have root privelidges. A user who types that command
might erase all his own files, but he can't take the entire system with
him...

Andrew
[ opinions are my own ]

comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: Bob Germer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 07:01:06 GMT

On 09/04/2000 at 12:10 AM,
   Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> > Are you forgetting that MOST administrators tend to get paid MORE than
> > the teachers AND that they tend to run up a lot of highly dubious
> > expenses like limos, air fare and "workshop" costs.
> >

> Public schools administrators in limos??? And you want us to take you
> seriously?

You take one part of one sentence and ignore the rest. In Burlington City,
there are almost 2 administrators per teacher. The City schools spent
nearly $380,000 last year sending various administrators and teachers to
workshops. On one business trip I made earlier this year, I ran into the
Superintendent, the Business Manager, and 3 members of the School Board
attending a "convention" of School Administrators in Atlanta. They were
paying $240 per night for five nights, flew there first class, had a limo
to and from the airport, and paid $1,500 per person for the convention.
The very next day, I was in San Francisco for a client meeting. We went to
the Top of the Mark for dinner. Lo and Behold, I ran into Rae's former
principal, 2 other Burlington City principals, and 2 members of the school
board attending a meeting of School Principals. They were staying in
private rooms at the Mark Hopkins at a cost of well over $300 per night
per person. The dinner the five shared cost over $900 including the
gratuity.

In addition to the out of pocket expenses, don't forget that the
administrators and principals were being paid salaries while attending
these conventions. Moreover, the City closes schools for two days each
November for the NJEA convention which is in reality a union meeting. The
teachers are paid for those two days whether they attend or not.

From: Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: ZDNet reviews W2K server; I think you'll be surprised....
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 06:57:28 GMT

In article <8ou0hp$igb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <8otsra$emi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In article <39b08bbe$0$26546$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I think that they have a good point when it comes to DNS. Here is
> > what they
> > > have said about it:
> > >
> > > "We do have some questions as to what will happen to a company's
DNS
> > under
> > > the Windows 2000 model. Microsoft has tied in DNS pretty heavily
> > AD. In
> > > fact, Microsoft wants to become the DNS provider in your
enterprise.
> > In a
> > > multiplatform, multihost environment, you'll need to be very
careful
> > with
> > > interoperability--and with an eye toward internal politics. Most
of
> > the
> > > world's DNS today does not run on Microsoft platforms--and fouling
> up
> > your
> > > customers' DNS systems will mess up their Net connectivity. You
> don't
> > want
> > > to go there."
> > >
> > Pretty simple to design a system such that the Unix DNS can remain
the
> > root of the companies DNS - e.g. for the Win2K domain use
> > nt.mydomain.com.  That's exactly how we've implemented it, set the
> > Win2K DNS up to forward to the Unix DNS, let the Unix DNS do what
they
> > like (forward, act as secondary - if they are running the right
> version
> > of BIND), no problem.  I would have thought that anything that
removes
> > some of the maintenance from the BIND DNS would be received with
open
> > arms...
>
> In many companies that would require a complete overhaul of DNS and
> re-addressing of their workstations. Many places I have worked did
_not_
> all their MS stuff to one network, Unix and Mac to another. Poor
design,
> Maybe, but this is the REAL world and not everything is clean or well
> designed. The SysAdmin that forgets that is in for big problems
rolling
> out W2K's DNS.

We do it with a couple of lines in the login script
if "%OS%=="Windows_NT" cscript ntdns.vbs
else cscript win9xdns.vbs

Readdressing of workstations is a *minor* issue, and the system is
really no more complicated than before - you just have a few extra DNS
servers which the NT admins (typically not also the Unix admins) manage.

> And what about those multi boot (linux and W2k) boxes????

What about them?  Win2K box registers itself in the AD DNS, Linux is a
static entry in the Unix DNS as normal.  If they share an IP address,
then you have for all intents and purposes an alias to it with the
Linux hostname.

From: Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 07:00:34 GMT

In article <8ou0s4$iq5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >  I would have thought that anything that removes
> > some of the maintenance from the BIND DNS would be received with
open
> > arms...
>
> But anything that makes the job managing DNS MORE complicated (i.e.
> forcing the use of different servers with different OS for each OS on
> the network) is NOT removing some of the maintenance, it is ADDING to
> it!
>
> Arms closed!

No problem, you want to reduce the number of DNS servers you use, use a
current version of BIND.  Win2K will let you use that as well.  DNS is
such a minor issue.