  Re: Advocacy and Programmers... (mlw)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drazen Kacar)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.sys.sun.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Star Office to be open sourced
Date: 19 Jul 2000 02:17:47 GMT

Craig Kelley wrote:

> Actually, Linux has been certified UNIX-98 compliant

Hm... Unix 98 has makecontext() as a mandatory interface. Now, with 2.2.17
kernel and

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <ucontext.h>

main()
{
   ucontext_t ucp;

   makecontext(&ucp, NULL, 0);
   return 0;
}

gcc c.c gives:

/tmp/ccGaGV50.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccGaGV50.o(.text+0x18): warning: makecontext is not implemented and will
always fail

This doesn't look very compliant. Could you give a reference to your source
of information?

--
 .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.
(_  \ /  _)

------------------------------

From: "Spud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:33:25 -0700

[snips]

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Boris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What are your (Windows advocate) reactions to this whole .NET
software
> leasing idea?

Well, I'm a Windows user rather than advocate, but...

Personally, I could care less.  The one potential benefit I see is not
having to shell out umpteen bucks for a product which I will at best
occasionally use; if I understand their plans, I'll pay when I _do_
use it, and quite possibly end up paying a heck of a lot less than
purchasing.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I had a reality check today :(
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:31:40 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 02:44:36 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >Tim Palmer wrote:

>after HOWTO. You alreddy have
>the rest of CommyLie-nux working.

>long lines propperly?

>programms, and your another exampel.

>your universitty is living in a cave.

> >> Or drag and drop 50 fials onto an icon to do the same thing without wrighting
>shell scripts.
> >>

> >I can do the exact same thing on any modern flavor of unix, so, like
> >do you have a point?
> >

> "Moddern UNIX", now thear's an oxymorron.

                                        Unix    Microsoft products

First Multi-processing kernal           1970    1995

tape backup utilities                   1970    1998

First GUI                               1984    1990

Cut and Past support in GUI             1984    1993

Full networking support                 1984    1995

No differentiation between remote       1984    never implemented
       users and console users
First Multi-user kernal                 1970    never implemented

Configuration changes w/o rebooting     1970    never implemented

First non-fragmenting filesystem        1983    never implemented

RAID support (Redundant Array           1991    never implemented
         of Inexpensive Disks)
full remote administration possible,    1970    never implemented
      including O/S install

GUI's available                         10      1

Notice a pattern yet, spell-check boy?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:34:15 -0400

MH wrote:

> Like most (L)users, I have just the sort of time to try and parse a core
> file to determine why the applet dejour barfed. A better question might have
> been why do these "bullet proof" linux distributions have the propensity to
> leave these core droppings littered about in the first place?

Ever think of sending it off to whoever wrote it?

No, of course not, because you're a fucking moron.

You see, with Unix, at least you have the OPTION of getting the
core file to a competent authority for investigation.  Conversely,
windows won't let you, because someone might...learn something
about their own computer (horrors!)

> !?!?!?
>
> > > Having to write script to remove almost daily Core files is?
>
> > You're right...it's better to do it the MS-way...
> > NEVER generate a core file, so NOBODY can ever figure out why
> > the program crashed.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:35:39 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:58:49 -0400, MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Like most (L)users, I have just the sort of time to try and parse a core
> >file to determine why the applet dejour barfed. A better question might have
> >been why do these "bullet proof" linux distributions have the propensity to
> >leave these core droppings littered about in the first place?
>
> Becauze they expect you to fix thear bugs for them. Lie-nux if for poepal that watn
>to play with script's
> all day. Windo's for poepal who want to get on with their lives.

Yes, it is sooooooooooooooo much easier to point-and-click the same
modifications to 50 seperate files...

MUCH easier than writing a 10-line shell scripts and shoving
all 50 files through the shell script.

I also have several bridges around New York that I might interest
you in purchasing.

> >!?!?!?

> >> You're right...it's better to do it the MS-way...
> >> NEVER generate a core file, so NOBODY can ever figure out why
> >> the program crashed.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Adam Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trauma 98-00
Date: 19 Jul 2000 02:38:16 GMT

Paul Gresham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I still have a book from 1994, called Linux Installation and Getting
> Started by Matt Welsh, it came with a CD for Slackware 2.0, which I've
> lost. On the inside cover is my system spec when I built my first linux
> box, a 486dx50 (that's a true 50Mhz, not a clock doubled 25) 32MB Ram,
> with a Trident 8900CL/8900D 1024K video card. It doesn't say what sound
> card, but I remember it was an SB16 Pro. Damn it was fast compared to
> windows, I think a kernel build took most of day if not more :).

I've still got that book, too!  The one with a beach painting on the
front?  I got it with Slack 2.0 for my first Linux box, a Pentium-90
with 16MB of RAM and an ATI Mach 64.  It didn't support my CD drive,
so I had to copy everything I needed to a directory on my DOS
partition.  And it took me forever to get X running.

I just installed RH6.2 on a new machine in about half an hour.  Not
even remotely the same experience.

--
Adam Smith
Boston University

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in
practice there is."

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 11 Linux features I care about (was: 10 Linux "features" nobody
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:38:41 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 02:42:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I was going to post a humorous reply to this, but then I realized it
> >would be attacked by a bunch of losers defending a dying operating
> >system from a has-been company run by a geek and changed my mind.
>
> Niether Bill Gates nor Steve Ballmer is a geek. They are marketroids
> masquerading as geeks, real geeks are slowly starting to realize
> this, and some of them don't like what they realize.

I new it a long time ago during my first experience with DOS after
working with Unix for 4 years.

Despite all of Microsoft's money, they couldn't get some hot-shot
programmers to fix all the problems??

Or is it that....Gates is a crank who really doesn't understand
the techonology very well (remember when his first book, the one
released in 1994....the one about the "future" of computing,
and Gates COMPLETELY missed the Internet....)

> --
> Microsoft Windows. Never had it, never will.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:39:49 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Spud wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > I even

> > > dresden.

> > > mutilate

> > > professional.  You

> > > "NOT" is absolutely correct.  Only a complete idiot would even
> > > *contemplate* replacing a database server with a messaging server.
> > > Whoops, someone did contemplate it.
> >
> > Yes, that would be resident troll, Drestin Black, who claims to
> > do exactly that.
>
> WHAT?!!! What the HELL are you talking about. I suggested no such thing.
> Withdraw your lie.

Obviously, you aren't communicating coherently.
Care to revise your earlier statements.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:40:46 -0400

Craig Kelley wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > The boy isn't to perceptive, is he.
>
>  [snip 28 lines of signature]
>
> Please trim your signature -- your newsreader should refuse to post
> such a lengthy sig (I know tin, trn and gnus all refuse to support
> such gross net abuse).

My news reader is broken, so sue me.

> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What I've always said: Netcraft numbers of full of it
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:43:07 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > You are just a little too hyper to play with...
> > >
> > > remember, it's just an OS, it's just an OS...
> > >
> > > (oh, and just because you were once upon a time (gee, but not anymore,
> > > wonder why they don't want you anymore?) one of how many thousands of
> random
> > > gm employees doesn't mean you speak for GM nor does your word carry GMs
> > > weight behind it.)
> >
> > a.  I've been there, you haven't.
>
> I've been to the Ford headquarters in Dearborn, even toured the garden
> upstairs.

Which means... you know absolutely NOTHING compared to someone
who actually worked there.

> > b.  I continue to communicate with others within the company, including
> > at corporate headquarters in downtown Detroit.
>
> and I still get recall notices on my Thunderbird... so?

GM never sold a Thunderbird, you moron.

And Ford doesn't have any headquarters in downtown Detroit.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux as a desktop platform
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:46:07 -0400

John Jensen wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> : John Jensen wrote:
> : > As I explained in these groups a couple years ago, it is less the
> : > resources than the design orientation.  The Original Mac was very tight on
> : > memory.  If they had given up a few K for a simple PMT system, they would
> : > have had the orientation from the start.  For whatever reasons (perhaps
> : > valid) they felt that other features needed to be there first.
>
> : I implemented PMT on a 6809 system using a only a few hundred bytes of
> : overhead, plus a set aside for stack-space for MAX_PROC-1 processes.
>
> Cool.  I wish I'd gotten off my butt and written one for my Z80 system
> (actually it would have rocked on the Expon QX-10).

Hmmmmmmm, trying to implement PMT on an 8080 / 8085 / Z80 chip is
MUCH more difficult than 6809.

6809 has a better set of addressing modes... very similar to
the PDP-11.

> We probably shouldn't waste too much time redesigning the 1984 Mac, but I
> would want to add semaphores and one method of interprocess communication.
>
> IIRC, the orignial Mac (single tasking, 128K total memory) had 84K left
> for application code/heap/stack.

Not bad, really

> John

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advocacy and Programmers...
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:47:31 -0400

Davorin Mestric wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have followed this ng for a while now. One very interesting fact I
> > picked up is the huge anti RAD (Rappid Application Development) fealing
> > of the Linux Programmers.
>
>     that's because they don't have them.  it is the same when you hate those
> people in expensive cars.

I don't hate people in expensive cars! I just think they are stupid. Why
pay a lot of money for something that is unnecessary. Don't get me
wrong, I can afford it, but I can't justify it in my view of life.

I think the same go things like VB. VB, Delphi, et al are OK for little
programs which require very little skill. As such, that is a great
application for them. IMHO RAD tools are for those people who don't like
to develop software. They are for people that take no joy in the process
of making cool things.

personally, like the car metaphor, I took a 1987 Pontiac Firebird, and
built a new engine from the ground up. Swapped out the engine and the
car is stupidly fast. When it comes to software, I'm the same way. I
hate "run of the mill." I prefer not to work on projects that are based
on things like VB or Delphi. I like coding where bits count, and cpu
cycles are important.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.