Linux-Advocacy Digest #766, Volume #28           Thu, 31 Aug 00 05:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  DVD smash-off anyone?!? (Steve Feil)
  Re: Sherman Act vaguery [was: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?] (Courageous)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (Courageous)
  Re: How low can they go...? ("Simon Cooke")
  Re: Sherman Act vaguery [was: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?] (Eric Bennett)
  Re: Sherman Act vaguery [was: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?] (Eric Bennett)
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? (Eric Bennett)
  HOTMAIL Hacked? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HOTMAIL Hacked? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re:school girls ARE being sabotaged by maccies ("jbarntt")
  Re: Re:school girls ARE being sabotaged by maccies ("jbarntt")
  Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451788 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How low can they go...? ("Christophe Ochal")

From: Steve Feil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DVD smash-off anyone?!?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:25:04 -0500

Now that Judge Kaplan has ruled against the free distribution of
software to view encrypted DVD's which is not licensed by the DVD CCA,
I propose that we stage a series of protest against the MPAA and DVD
CCA.

These protest would take the form of a "DVD smash-off". In order to
avoid spending thousands of dollars on buying DVD's to smash, I think
it's high time to put all of those old AOL CD's to good use. We could
collect all the unused CD's and write the letters DVD on them, those
would be used to smash.  I propose that we center the demonstrations
around large national chain stores that sell DVD's.

The main purpose behind the protest (besides to make a spectacle)
would be to raise public awareness and to distribute literature on how
the MPAA wishes to limit the way the public can view moves purchased
with hard earned money. This literature should emphasize that if the
MPAA were allowed to maintain sole control over the decoding software,
the MPAA and move companies would be able to dictate what was and was
not acceptable use of DVD's which you paid for! I feel that we would
get the greatest public sympathy if the literature were written from
the following point of view.

If the move companies decided that certain actions were unacceptable
the DVD CCA could dictate that manufactures of DVD players prevent
consumers from performing those actions.  Any manufactures that
refused to incorporate those limitations into the players would have
there license revoked. Any companies that continued to produce players
could be sued out of existence by the MPAA and DVD CCA.  The
prohibited actions could be as simple as skipping over sections of the
DVD (such as an advertisement), slow motion playing during certain
sections of the program, or playing a European DVD on a player
purchased in the U.S.A. Even a software program designed to make a
parity of the program on the DVD (that you purchased) could be banned
by the MPAA and DVD CCA.

------------------------------

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sherman Act vaguery [was: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 06:28:46 GMT

> *Possession* of "monopoly power" is illegal.

The statement "possession of 'monopoly power' is illegal" is
false on its face. You'll have to be much more clear what you
mean; I presume you meant something else.

For example, ALCOA possesses one of the only two mines on the
planet for a certain rare earth element. This gives them an
unshakeable monopoly throughout the entire western hemisphere.
While this monopoly is a rather serendipitous one, it's very
much a monopoly... you simply can't get this element any where
else.*

We are disregarding any variety of government-granted monopolies,
of course. Intellectual property, utilities, and the like come
obviously to mind.

So what do you mean? You can't possibly mean "possession of of
'monopoly power' is illegal". This statement is obviously not
true.

C//

*note: while I speak in the present tense, it's been a good
decade since I examined this situation.

------------------------------

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 06:39:39 GMT

> >No, what I am saying is that if someone can't present how
> >it's possible, then they don't have an argument. All I have
> >seen is hyperbole. How about you?
>
> Yes, I would call what you are saying hyperbole.  If you can present an
> argument that it is not possible, fine.  To suggest that it is not
> possible merely because it is not easy or simple is hyperbole, ...

Well, I'll take your literary criticism at face value. I expected
this person to present the issue simply; I'll restate the request:

How about explaining the steps that someone goes through, VAGUELY,
to not pay income taxes and at the same time actually have income?

I would like to suggest that if someone makes a claim like
"but the rich don't pay taxes!" and then can't explain in at
least vague language how that could be, then that person has
a very weak position indeed.

Fair enough?

C//

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 06:50:48 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Microsoft had an unfair advantage by way of copyright.

Uhuh... right...

> They controlled an essential facility. That isn't success
> by being 'better' but success by natural monopoly.

Look! Over there! It's Linux! Oh and there! Solaris! and Beos! Obviously,
Microsoft is not a natural monopoly, as there are other operating systems
produced by other vendors, and given enough time/patience you can write one
*YOURSELF*.

Simon

------------------------------

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:00:18 -0400

> Said Bob Germer in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>    [...]
> >That is true. Unfortunately for your hero Gates, the anti-trust law is
> >quite well documented and provides ample notice to anyone with an IQ
> >above
> >60 that abuse of monopoly power is illegal and that the actions he took
> >were clearly abusive.
>
> Abuse of *market power* is illegal.  *Possession* of "monopoly power" is
> illegal.

You know, I hate to sound like a broken record, but it seems to me that
you are forgetting that second element again:

====
The offense of monopoly under 2 of the Sherman Act has two elements: (1)
the possession of monopoly power in the relevant market and (2) the
willful acquisition or maintenance of that power as distinguished from
growth or development as a consequence of a superior product, business
acumen, or historic accident.
=====

Once again, please note that possession (element 1) does not by itself
establish a violation, since the second necessary element could be
absent.  This is pretty plain language; I can't see why you seem to keep
forgetting it and/or misinterpreting it.

--
Eric Bennett ( http://www.pobox.com/~ericb/ )
Cornell University / Chemistry & Chemical Biology

If I return people's greetings, I do so only to give them their greeting back.
-Karl Kraus

------------------------------

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:03:08 -0400

> Said Bob Germer in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >   Larry Brasfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>    [...]
> >It is quite obvious you have never read the consent decree signed by IBM
> >with the DOJ in the early 1950's. That precedent clearly establishes
> >that
> >holding 90% of a market gives the holder monopoly power.
>
> A consent decree isn't precedent, AFAIK, Bob.  And also AFAIK, there
> isn't any precedent establishing a per se rule concerning market share.

The statements in Grinnell make it pretty clear that if you have 90%
market share, the court will take the default position that you have a
monopoly, and it's up to you to prove otherwise.  It may not be a per se
rule, but it's also pretty unambiguous what they court thinks of 90%
market share.

From: Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:04:30 -0400

> Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>    [...]
> >I find it kind of fun watching him get a verbal spanking every other day.
> >Sure beats kicking the dog. As far as the dog is concerned.
>
> Bwahahahaha! [The 'kick' is, I *like* a good spanking, when I can get
> it. ;-)]

Have you been setting light the grail-shaped beacon, Max?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HOTMAIL Hacked?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:52:33 GMT

Tried to access Hotmail from 0900 to 1000 SA Time - got redirected to a
porn site. Did anybody else pick this up?

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOTMAIL Hacked?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:33:13 -0500

These types of things are not usually a hacking of the site itself so much
as a hacking of the DNS entries.  We would have read about any such major
hack, so it was likely a DNS hack.

------------------------------

From: "jbarntt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re:school girls ARE being sabotaged by maccies
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:21:58 GMT

How true. For further evidence of this sad story, see the thread in this
group re: "Joe Ragosta got me pregnant'. The sad story of a high school girl
corrupted by an evil Maccie...err, commie.

[OT] I heard the rumor that the girl in question, 'LJ', is really named
Claire.

jbarntt

------------------------------

From: "jbarntt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: Re:school girls ARE being sabotaged by maccies
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:33:11 GMT

Oops, the group referred to is csma. This was posted in error. Sorry.

jbarntt

"jbarntt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:GAor5.40801$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> How true. For further evidence of this sad story, see the thread in this
> group re: "Joe Ragosta got me pregnant'. The sad story of a high school
girl
> corrupted by an evil Maccie...err, commie.
>
> [OT] I heard the rumor that the girl in question, 'LJ', is really named
> Claire.
>
> jbarntt
>

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > http://www.freep.com/news/metro/dicker30_20000830.htm
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >
> > I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.
> >
> > C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
> >    sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
> >    that she doesn't like.
> >
> > D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (D) above.
> >
> > F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
> >    response until their behavior improves.
> >
> > G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451788
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:39:42 GMT

Here's today's Malloy digest.  Notice how he's posting from his work
account.  How long will it take for Sutherland to jump in and complain
about that "abuse", perhaps to Toegel, or even Tobin?

190> From: "Joseph T. Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
190> Subject: Re: Tholen digest, volume 2451787.38y5f^-0000001
190> Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:06:47 -0400
190> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
190>
190> Here's today's Tholen digest.  Notice how he's ignored the evidence for the
190> fact that he likes to "hear" himself, and keeps talking about how I've
190> allegedly ignored his evidence, yet he hasn't presented any (indeed, he's so
190> intent on using "parrot" mode that he's made several ridiculous claims).
190> He's also ignored the evidence for his reading comprehension problem (and
190> uses "parrot" mode to talk about some nonexistent evidence for my alleged
190> reading comprehension problem). Nor did he explain who "Slava" is, I'm just
190> supposed to know.  Typical and fatuous.
190>
190> The digest improper:
190>
190> [Wake me when Tholen says something that rises above the less-than-mundane!
190> And that Tholen can't understand this sentence says more than words can say
190> about him.]
190>
190> Thanks!

==========

Malloy likes to hear himself.  The evidence:

   "I take it Tholen has attempted to digest me, but since no message
   to that effect appears on my newserver today, I present an oldie:"
      --Joe Malloy

Maybe it's because he has trouble seeing.  The evidence:

   "Where does he say anything about clergy, Tholen?"
      --Joe Malloy

   "It follows from your pontificating actions and the discussion
   of the clergy..."
      --Eric Bennett

And the question of Slava's that he continues to ignore:

   Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:11:34 +1000

   "Why do you post exactly the same thing in each one of your
   'digests', and then hypocritically accuse Tholen of not saying
   'anything of value'?"
      --Slava Pestov

   "[who is this "Slava," Tholen, one of your sock puppets?]"
      --Joe Malloy

------------------------------

From: "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:22:29 +0200

Simon Cooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
vObr5.39186$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:n%5r5.346$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Simon Cooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > 8oh0tu$rb9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Please show me where I can buy a bare machine that will run MacOS9,
and
> > > which does not come pre-bundled with a copy of MacOS.
> >
> > Format the HD, can you reinstall MacOS9 * WITHOUT* first installing
MacOS
> 8
> > or whatever? Yes you can, there, point proven
>
> No, point not proven. You've just formatted the drive. It still came with
> MacOS. You paid for MacOS. Anything you buy after that is an upgrade
price.

Whoops, sorry, replied to the wrong person, i was actually replying to the
following thing:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > If you can install MacOS9 on a bare machine then it is indeed
> > the equivalent of a full licence of any Microsoft OS.

Sorry for the mistake =)

Amon_Re

------------------------------

From: "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:24:36 +0200

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
VHir5.8261$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:n%5r5.346$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Simon Cooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > 8oh0tu$rb9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Please show me where I can buy a bare machine that will run MacOS9,
and
> > > which does not come pre-bundled with a copy of MacOS.
> >
> > Format the HD, can you reinstall MacOS9 * WITHOUT* first installing
MacOS
> 8
> > or whatever? Yes you can, there, point proven
>
> No, you can install an upgrade version of Windows without installing the
> previous version as well.

Ok, tell me how i can install Win95 upgrade on an empty HD without doing
some tricks with extract & the cab files?

> Apple liscenses the MacOS based on the ROMS.  MacOS will not install to a
> machine without ROMS.

True, but i was actually replying to the wrong message.... read the other
email i just wrote ;)

Amon_Re

------------------------------

From: "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:26:17 +0200

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
nJir5.8262$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Please show me where I can buy a bare machine that will run MacOS9,
and
> > > which does not come pre-bundled with a copy of MacOS.
> >
> > Pick an emulator of your choice.
>
> And guess what?  The apple liscense forbids you to run the MacOS on
> emulators.

Really? I never read the licence... <grin>

Actually, Apple forbids emulation because you still need a rom-image, if eg
you have a broken Mac, you are allowed to emulate a mac because you OWN a
rom in the dead mac

Amon_Re

------------------------------

From: "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:28:41 +0200

Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > >Yes. That would be why you do not have to do this with Windows upgrade
> > >products, I'd imagine. You can install on a "bare" machine with an
upgrade
> > >product.
> >
> >         Nope.
>
> Prove your point.  "Nope.", just doesn't cut the mustard.
>
> You can install on a "bare" machine with all current upgrade products.
Just insert
> qualifying media when prompted.

Aha! but what if you own a comcrap, or a packard hell? You probably won't
*HAVE* the qualifying media, because they put all that crap on their restore
CD's

Amon_Re

------------------------------

From: "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:31:47 +0200

JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> "Robert Moir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [...]
> > upgrade
> > >
> > > Nope.
> >
> > Sorry, I think you'll find that you can.
>
> Actually, it doesn't even need to be the original Full Version CD, it can
be
> a backup of the original, planted on another burned cd behind several
> directories, it doesn't matter. Just browse to where the full verion is
> located. When I bought win98 upgrade I put both 95 Full  and  98 on one cd
> to eliminate the need to insert another cd. Just browse to the correct
> directory when prompted.

Actually, all you need is win.com to install the upgrades (yes, you CAN
install win9x upgrade even without qualifying media, *if* you extract the
correct files out of the cabinet files)

> Now, don't ask why I had to make it convenient to re-install 98 often.

I think i can guess.. :)

Amon_Re

------------------------------

From: "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:33:29 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
8ojh56$pvm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Christophe Ochal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:qVar5.361$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > <cut>
> >
> > > Wow you must be a real computer geek, we all stand in awe.
> >
> > LOL thx :)
> >
> > > If you were using a Mac or OS/2 in 1991 for personal use,  I would not
> > > call them "alternative" I would call them unpopular. Anything made by
> > > IBM was not designed to be "Alternative"
> >
> > Nope, not a mac, nope, no OS/2 neighter, come on,  you can take better
> > guesses then that :)
> >
>  AmigaDos?  DR-Dos?  CP/M?  MP/M?

It's called AmigaOS these days :) Ah, the joys of multitasking in 2 megs of
ram.. :)

Amon_Re

------------------------------

From: "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:36:58 +0200

Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<cut>

> >Proof?  No of course not.  You ignore the fact that the MS SDK was
availble for
> >media cost.  You ignore the fact that several C vendors including Borland
not
> >only could compile very nice Win16 programs but also included the SDK and
> >assembler.  I think you know all these things are true.  I'm not suprised
that
> >someone who thinks stealing is legal as long as it hurts Microsoft would
also
> >think baldfaced lying to do the same is moral and ethical.
> >

> Funny how you mixed together about three different people
> and accused them all of something only one of them stated
> (and accused them of something that they didn't even say
> they did).  Someone said they would pay for Windows when
> they could enjoy using Windows.  Do you automatically
> assume that means they are using Windows?  I don't know
> about you, but if I don't like a computer OS enough to
> 'enjoy' using it, I'm probably not going to use it on my
> machines (which explains why I don't use Windows).

That's me you're talking about, and your right, i do not own a copy of
winblows on my own computer, it wouldn't work anyway, seeing that i'm on a
PPC ;)

> I wasn't originally involved in this discussion, but the
> person that originally state that they weren't going to
> pay for Windows never said that they use it.  Don't go
> create false statements to attack.  There are plenty of
> people to attack on usenet based on the idiotic ramblings
> that they actually said :-).

Did he attack me? When? I missed it...

Amon_Re

------------------------------

From: "Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:46:45 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >"Christophe Ochal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:paOq5.282$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >out
> > >
> > >Theft is still theft. Would it be ok to steal your car if I didn't like
the
> > >colour?
> > >

> >         It would be if you were the robber baron that conspired to
ensure
> >         that anyone that wanted to drive would have to buy your
particular
> >         brand of car.
> >
> >         There is no immorality in unlicenced use of an "essential
facility".

> >         That any you cheapen the notion of theft with your usage of the
term.

> It's sad that so many folks have bought into the Ellison, Case, Jobs media
machine so
> wholeheartedly that it compromises the very fiber of their morals.  What
was said above
> is that it is legal to steal as long as the entity you are stealing from
is Microsoft.
> That's just not true.  No court nor rational person will agree with you.

I never said i *had* winblows on my computer at home did i? I agree on the
idea, but i have this 'thing' against that firm in Redmond :)

Amon_Re