From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:35:03 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> So in hinesight, what you are really, advocating/questioning, is whether
> Linux can be considered a UNIX? and in your humble opinion, Linux is not
> up to the standard of a commercial UNIX.  Correct?

Actually, LINUX is the most POSIX-compliant operating system available.

> kiwiunixman
>
> Swangoremovemee wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 14:02:54 +1300, kiwiunixman
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >> So, by your definition, since I found that SCO Unixware is shit, that
> >> must mean that all UNIX's are shit...I don't think so....get back to
> >> reality....in the UNIX market there are multiple vendors, Redhat Linux
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > Commercial unix is a totally different animal and I have no problem
> > with SCO, Solaris, AIX etc.
> >
> > Linux however is NOT unix, and it never will be.
> >
> > Swango
> >
> > "It Don't Mean a Thang if it Ain't Got That Swang"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes strike back
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:38:28 -0500

Pedro Coto wrote:

> > A less stable system is more prone to crashes, period.  If you only stay
> > up a day at a time you can reduce your chances of getting bit, but if
> > your system isn't reliable, it *is* going to bite you sooner or later.
>
>    That's the point, trying to prevent that moment.

In Unix, there is no need for human interaction to "prevent that moment",
as the system performs the necessary work itself.

You see, most operating systems perform a function called "garbage
collection" automatically (which is all that defragmenting is).

> > And somehow they seem to know when you're doing something really
> > important...
>
>    I agree :-))

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:43:22 +0200

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 07:53:00 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> [...]

>>> Illogical.  What does foil have to do with anything?

>> "Illogical"?

>That is what I wrote.

Are you sure?

>> Are you some fucking star-trek freak or something?

>Illogical; one does not need to be a "star-trek freak" to identify an
>illogical statement.

One would probably be a star-trek freak to use terms like "illogical"
after a light-humoured keyboard statement.

>> As for mentioning foil: what would you use if referring to a keyboard
>> where the keys can move about?

>I don't have any such keyboard, thus I haven't had the need to think
>of a word for it.

Jesus Christ: why do you have to take everything so seriously?

>>> On the contrary, it's by the F1 key.  The tilde is next to the "1" key.

>> I said "near", not "next".

>The Esc key is nearer to the F1 key.  The tilde is nearer to the "1" key.
>Does that make you any happier?

The escape key is nearer to the "1" key thatn the "F1" key.

>>> Mighty big keyboard you have there.

>> Well where are YOUR cursor keys then?

>About the same distance as the Esc key.  Didn't I already say that?

Same distance? What sort of corrupted keyboard are you using?

>>> Is that something you do?
>
>> Often. It's almost as fun as putting broken glass shards in the local
>> swimming pool. In the shallow end!

>Figures.

Yawn.

>>> Any relation to "Moul"?

>> What????

>Any relation to "Moul"?  Something not clear about that question?

The meaning of "Moul" isn't quite clear.

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:43:23 +0200

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:48:09 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > "uptime" is very important because one should be in complete control
>> > when a system goes down. In Windows NT, the typical BSOD means that it
>> > went does unexpectedly. That is "bad."
>>
>> So it's your intention to say that everytime a NT system is rebooted, it's
>> because of a blue screen?

>No, that the ever present BSOD requires a reboot.

Sometimes you can escape from a BSOD on 98SE. It does it about 50% of
the time when I disconnect from the Internet.

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows review
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:43:23 +0200

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:03:28 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>[snips]
>
>"JM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> >So, you're advocating 42 keystrokes for a non-functioning approach over
>17
>> >keystrokes and 5 clicks, which actually end up doing the job, as somehow
>> >superior, is that right?
>>
>> The difference is, how long does it take to do it? And how easy is it?

>Well, as noted, your method doesn't work, so even if your method is 100
>times faster, does it matter?

How doesn't it work?

>> With a GUI, you have to look constantly at where you're going, moving
>> the mouse to exactly the wright position etc. With a command line,
>> it's just a couple of seconds typing. Also, you don't need to go
>> opening slow programs like Explorer.

>Slow?  One moment...

>Hmm; less than a second to load here, I just tried it.  On a moderately

4 seconds for explorer to open. How long for the command line to open?
0 secs: it's already there!

>loaded system.  Now if you were talking something a little more taxing,
>like, say, Word 2000... well, let's see.  Hmm; 2 seconds.  Add in the second

5 seconds.

>or so to navigate the menu, yup - long time.  'Course as a Windows _user_,
>i.e. someone who actually regularly uses Windows and is familiar with it, I
>probably keep several of my commonly-used programs on the quick-launch bar;
>in that case, no menu navigation involved at all - 2 seconds to launch,
>total.

Is that taking into account the moving the hand to the mouse, and then
moving the mouse about etc?

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:43:24 +0200

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:12:01 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>[snips]
>
>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> That sure is a tremendous fucking LOT Of work compared to:
>>
>> $ mv  a* b* c* new_directory

>Except that your "example" here doesn't even meet the original specs.
>There's an old joke about two programmers.  One produced code that was slow,
>but worked, the other produced code that was lightning fast and gave wrong
>results.  When questioned, the speed demon pointed out how fast his code
>was.  The other guy looks at him and says "If I don't actually have to meet
>the requirements, I can make my code run in zero time."

And if both methods work?

>You're also forgetting a couple of advantages of the GUI approach.  Once the
>files are selected and the copy portion of the operation have been
>performed, you get visual confirmation first, that you haven't mis-typed
>something, and second, that the destination actually _exists_ - something
>you'd have to do manually via the CLI.

Why would you be even thinking about files that didn't exist? Maybe I
might think "I know, I'll move these files to directory X. But does
directory X even exists? Who knows, but it'll be fun finding out!"

>Yes, the CLI approach _does_ have its benefits.  It is not, however,
>_universally_ better, as you seem to imply.  Nor is the GUI.  Using each to
>its strengths is a better way to do things than to disregard either.

That's what everyone has been saying since the start of the thread.

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Caught me a Lino-Troll  Mr. T-Max
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:43:25 +0200

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:19:30 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon)) wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 02:45:37 GMT in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Swangoremovemee' said:
>
>[...]
>
>: "It Don't Mean a Thang if it Ain't Got That Swang"
>
>Pot - Kettle - Black!
>
>This crap from someone who has used some 30 plus aliases in less than
>a year to  Troll  in COLA?  Dude!  (Dudette?)  How much is  Microsoft
>paying you to whore yourself like this?
>
>Steve/Mike/Heather/Simon/teknite/keymaster/keys88/Sewer Rat/
>S/Sponge/Sarek/piddy/McSwain/pickle_pete/Ishmeal_hafizi/
>Syphon/Proculous/Tiberious/Amy/Jerry_Butler/Wobbles/wazzoo/
>Tim Palmer/BklynBoy/susie_wong/leg log/bison/deadpenguin/
>clair_lynn/Swango/ ....to be continued....

Don't discourage him, I enjoy using my kill filters.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:39:00 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> [snips]
>
> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
>
> > > Grandpappy could care less about the command line.  From the GUI, he can
> do
> > > all his work, he can copy, rename, print, delete, backup and restore
> files,
> > > he can browse the web, he can get e-mail and news, he can do every
> single
> > > task he actually needs to do.  So what benefit is there in learning the
> > > command line for him?
> >
> > How does Grandpappy do an nslookup to find out who is hacking him?
>
> He doesn't.  I'm sure he could use nslookup if someone told him about it...
> but he wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with the information.
> Besides... unless you're doing something to attract such attacks in the
> first place (running servers, browsing from your terminal at the bank,
> whatever) you're not overly likely to _be_ attacked, and when you are, most
> such attempts won't get past even the most trivially minimal firewall
> setup... which was provided for him.
>
> Besides, if he needs such tools, as I occasionally do, there are decent
> GUI-based ones which can scan logs, monitor ports, do whatever you please,
> resolve individual items or batches of them, even prepare anti-hacking
> e-mails for you complete with the details of the attack.  Oh, he can't run
> nslookup?  So what?  There are far better tools available, which do a much
> better job, much more easily, so why would he cripple himself with such a
> limited tool as that, if he was even worried about the problem in the first
> place?

You sure wasted a lot of ammo responding to my jocosity!

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:42:31 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Disk fragmentation...hasn't been an issue in the unix
> > world for YEARS.... Diskspace is managed by the kernal
> > to prevent fragmentation from occuring in the first place.
>
> You can't prevent fragmentation.  You can minimize it, but no prevent it.

True...if you write a file big enough, chances are, it will fragment.

But..the point is, every modern Unix, and all of the Linux filesystems
specifically AVOID fragmentation by finding a large enough patch of
disk to place the file BEFORE starting to write....and if a
file append results in fragmentation, then the system will come
back shortly and move the file to a new location, so that it is
immediately defragmented.

> Especially on a a drive that get's lots of use and is running close to
> capacity.

You obviously haven't worked with Unix

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:44:17 -0500

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > I haven't seen any microwaves with an on/off button lately.
> >
> > Okay then, "Start/Stop", if you must be pedantic.
> >
> > > If they had them, then yeah, I'd expect them to at least turn
> > > the display off, and go down to a trickle that only serves
> > > to maintain a few K of RAM (for the clock and maybe some programs)
> > > (which takes very little power, as evidenced by calculators and
> > > watches, and could be done by battery like it is for CMOS
> > > settings on computers.)
> >
> > Even with the display on, it could still be a trickle.
>
> All this "unintuitive" behavior of power switches is causing a major
> problem in California. The issue of all these devices still drawing
> power is keeping a load on the system that it wasn't designed to handle.
> That coupled with lack of new power generation in California is putting
> a strain on the system now, promising a major breakdown in the near
> future. Relying to much on intuition and not enough on reason is going
> to get a lot of people killed.

Serves them right for tying up all the nuclear power projects in the
courts.

> --
> Russ Lyttle, PE
> <http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
> Not Powered by ActiveX

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: SwifT - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Predictions (featuring Drestin Black)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 19:36:44 +0100

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Chad Myers wrote:

> Not really considering the main Penguinistas have been predicting for
> awhile now that Linux growth will skyrocket, which it certainly hasn't done.

Not exactly. The growrate (of Linux-users) is very hard to measure, since
it is a free operating-system and freely downloadable. There aren't any
registration-obligatories or alike (cfr Microsoft) so placing a number on
the growth is impossible. People can only _guess_ how many users there
are, and a _guess_ is always unreliable.

--
 SwifT

------------------------------

From: SwifT - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just in case anybody is wondering about reliability
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 19:38:07 +0100

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Must........not.........ask.........embarassing.....questions.......

LOL :-)

--
 SwifT

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:46:16 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> Of course, if you use grep often enough, you'll get to memorize all those
> command-switches.  Note that word, "memorize".  Now go have a read of "The
> Design of Everyday Things", and see what the author has to say about things
> which need to be memorized versus things where the options are right there
> in front of you, and it's impact on usability.

Does he talk about the speed differences in GUI versus CLI as experience
with both grows?

Note, too, that the GUI usually has a keystroke path available to it,
which can really speed things up compared to dragging a mouse cursor
around.

Aquinas's in this group will be happy to argue if keystroke sequences
in a GUI are actually a CLI feature or not.

Chris

--
Are you sure you want to read this message?
Click Okay to continue, and Cancel to okay

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:54:39 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> Click to sort by type, click to select the first, shift-click to select the
> last, copy... oh, wait, did I create the folder?  Nope.  Damn.  Create
> folder.  Hmm, let's check free space... yes, okay, lots of free space.  What
> was I doing?  Oh, yeah... right-click, paste.
>
> move *.txt ../newdir^C
> mkdir ../newdir
> free
> move *.txt ../newdir
>
> Your way accomplishes the same thing... without the flexibility... at the
> expense of about 30 extra keystrokes, as opposed to about 6 mouse clicks.
> How is your way better?

How many keystrokes equal a mouse click might be a reasonable question.
For example, to move to the top of this window to save this message, I have
to drag the mouse up there, slow down as I approach the File menu, then
click.  A reasonable typist could type maybe 5 letters in that time.
A fast typist might do 15.   So you're example could equate the 6 mouse clicks
with up to 90 keystrokes.  And more if you have to wait for Windozzzzzzzzzz to
look up the code that displays the menu, load it, then load the menu itself.

Just arguing that simple counts simplify the situation too much.

> Which is fine if you even _have_ such tasks.  His typical day consists of
> opening Word, loading a document, editing it, firing up a web session to do
> some research, back to the document to edit it some more, save it, maybe
> print a couple pages...
>
> Which parts of that are worth scripting?

Some parts, if he hasn't disable Word macros to protect against macro
virii.  He would go faster if he used the keystroke shortcuts.

> > That Granpappy stuff is just stereotyping anyway, I know Granpappy's and
> > Granmama's who are old school hardcore programmers.
>
> Sure; mine's not, however.  He is a copious writer and diehard researcher,
> though, and does that quite well without ever seeing a command line.  Hell,
> if I thought there was any benefit in it for him, _I'd_ teach him how to use
> it.  He's a bright guy, should pick it up in no time.  However, I can't see
> any benefit of it to him.

I hope you asked Gramps, rather than making that decision for him!
Gramps, Kelsey's hiding things from you!!!!

Chris

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Caifornia power shortage...
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 14:00:19 -0500

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > I haven't seen any microwaves with an on/off button lately.
> >
> > Okay then, "Start/Stop", if you must be pedantic.
> >
> > > If they had them, then yeah, I'd expect them to at least turn
> > > the display off, and go down to a trickle that only serves
> > > to maintain a few K of RAM (for the clock and maybe some programs)
> > > (which takes very little power, as evidenced by calculators and
> > > watches, and could be done by battery like it is for CMOS
> > > settings on computers.)
> >
> > Even with the display on, it could still be a trickle.
>
> All this "unintuitive" behavior of power switches is causing a major
> problem in California. The issue of all these devices still drawing
> power is keeping a load on the system that it wasn't designed to handle.
> That coupled with lack of new power generation in California is putting
> a strain on the system now, promising a major breakdown in the near
> future. Relying to much on intuition and not enough on reason is going
> to get a lot of people killed.

Actually, the REAL problem is that the ECO-NUTS in California shut
down practically every fission power project that came down the pike
in the 1970's.

If those plants had been built, a lot of oil-fired and coal-fired
plants would have been taken off-line a long time ago AND Cali.
would STILL have surplus capacity.

> --
> Russ Lyttle, PE
> <http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
> Not Powered by ActiveX

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:00:37 GMT

Curtis wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
> |
> | Naw... it is easy to type "ee filename.jpq" to view a JPEG file.
> | In fact, "ee *.jpg" brings up a GUI with all the files ready for
> | easy selection.
>
> It's just as easy to open the folder containing your pics.

Only if you've enabled the "single-click to open" option of your Windozzzz
GUI.  Even then, typing "ee *jpg" is a bit faster than moving the mouse
to the first picture, then clicking it.

Chris "last word lover" Ahlstrom <grin>