From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:16:55 +1200

Jon Johansan wrote:

> Says good-bye to expensive, hard to manage unix crap too...
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/News/1120413
>
> Zenon Chomyszyn, technology manager at the Halifax, told Computing that the
> company's Unix systems are too expensive to maintain, and that he hopes to
> reduce these costs by installing W2DC, despite a high initial outlay.
> "The benefits will be the management of the systems and boxes rather than a
> saving in purchase price," he said.
>
> Chomyszyn added that the operating system will increase the availability,
> reliability and scalability of the bank's databases, and will reduce
> operational costs by managing a single server rather than thousands.

Here in the body of the article you say they are moving from "expensive"
Unix machines to Windows 2000 Datacentre, yet, in the subject you say,
"bank switches from using NT 4", bit of a contridiction? Also, the
article failed to mention what version of Unix they were using? Why
didn't they replace it with a nice new SUN StarFire w/ Ultra Sparc III
Processor in it running Oracle?  the article is too brief to make any
clear  conclusion what is superior. Also, they failed to say whether
they have an afiliation with Microsoft? hence, they might get the
software cheaper than the shelf price.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
From: Alan Shutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 02:19:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) writes:

> You retard.

If you can't do better than that, maybe you should ask a
grade-schooler to teach you something new.

--
Alan Shutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - In a variety of flavors!
Editing is a rewording activity.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:52:26 -0400

Ace Agincourt wrote:

> Hi Roberto,
>
> On 21 Apr 2001 17:58:20 GMT,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
> put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
>
> ? Ace Agincourt wrote:
> ? >Hi Roberto,
> ? >
> ? >On 20 Apr 2001 18:40:28 GMT,
> ? >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
> ? >put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
> ? >
> ? >? billh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ? >? >
> ? >? >"Roberto Alsina"
> ? >? >
> ? >? >> You apparently don't know what absurd means.
> ? >? >> You say it's not murder because it's not unlawful, right?
> ? >? >
> ? >? >No.  I said killing in war is not murder, is not unlawful, is not immoral,
> ? >? >and is not unethical.
> ? >? >
> ? >? >You chose to believe that means I said, "it's not murder because it's not
> ? >? >unlawful."  Something I've never said
> ? >?
> ? >? Murder is by definition unlawful. Therefore, if you say killing at war
> ? >? is not unlawful, the alleged lawfulness of the killing is sufficient
> ? >? cause for the killing not to be murder.
> ? >
> ? >
> ? >Serbia was at war with the Kosovas.  Are you claiming that the mass
> ? >murders did not occur.  Also, Hitler went to war against the Jews.
> ? >Are you a holocaust denier?
> ?
> ? I see you joined late, so my position, by reading only the above,
> ? could be misunderstood.
> ?
> ? I personally believe any killing not in self defense, including
> ? killing at war, should be considered murder. I was only taking
> ? Billīs position to one of its many unpleasant logical outcomes.
>
> So you think a man who throws a young child on an unexploded hand
> grenade, to save himself, has committed no crime, moral or legal?

You'll have to forgive Roberto...his mental age regarding these things
lags about 10 years behind his physical age.

> ?
> ? >? Therefore, you, in the paragraph above, have said (among other things)
> ? >? "killing at war is not murder because it's not unlawful".
> ? >?
> ? >? Now, whether you can see what you said or not, is not my problem.
> ? >?
> ? >? >The two are not the same.
> ? >?
> ? >? No, not the same, but one implies the other. And you said enough
> ? >? to imply what I said you said.
>
> Best wishes, Ace.
>
> ====================
>
> This story shall the good man teach his son;
> And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
> From this day to the ending of the world.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 22 Apr 2001 02:57:27 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:22:12 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> Ace Agincourt wrote:
>>

> Yes.
>
> He should also be put on trial for Treason.
>
> And sentanced to hanging by his testicles.

Typical thuggery from Kulkis. You're not a libertarian at all, you're
a spiteful hoodlum.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 22 Apr 2001 02:59:45 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:12:14 +0100, Ace Agincourt wrote:

> Under whose authority?  Should Bill Clinton be forced to stand trial
> for his war crimes: the bombing of a Sudanese Pharmaceutical plant and
> the associated maimings, and the bombing of an Afghan youth training
> centre and its associated murders?

I doubt this would have much support, and I believe the US could (and
would) veto such a move (if it was done via UN)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: 22 Apr 2001 03:06:11 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 05:36:03 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> I admit I have never created a deb or rpm package. There is a book on
> making rpm packages which no doubt helps developers. As debian package
> management is superior I presume that is the reason why it is harder
> to build packages for it.

This is not correct. The reason it is harder to build packages are
largely due to arbitrary, and fairly silly restrictions on what
the packager is allowed to do (for example, multiple patches aren't
allowed)

> As to why rpm is more prevelant that is simple.
> RedHat have been the most widely used distro for several years. Full

Not only that, but others adopted RPM at an early stage. In the early
days, Caldera (then one of the other big distributors) also used RPM.
TurboLinux was also RPM based. The result was that RPM was widely
adopted.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re:
Communism,    Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: 22 Apr 2001 03:06:53 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:58:00 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

>> > What does this have to do with Linux advocacy? Is Linux, an
>> > Is Lamic womans choice of OS?
>>
>> No, of course not; they're not allowed to make such choices.  Linux for
>> women's rights!  :)
>
> Fuck them.  They already have too mancy privileges and not enough
> responsibilities, you simpering, ass-kissing ninny

more anti-freedom rhetoric from anti-freedom Kulkis.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:08:48 -0400

http://www.monster.com/
http://www.dice.com/

> --
>
>                         B'ichela

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What to do with Bill Clinton (was Re: OT: Treason (was Re:
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:09:53 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> [...]
> > ? >
> > ? > Hi Aaron,
> > ? >
> > ? > On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:22:12 -0400,
> > ? > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > ? > put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
> > ? >
> > ? > ? Ace Agincourt wrote:
> > ? > ? >
> > ? > ? > Hi Don,
> > ? > ? >
> > ? > ? > On 21 Apr 2001 01:26:52 GMT,
> > ? > ? > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
> > ? > ? > put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:
> > ? > ? >
> > ? > ? > ? On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:11:05 +0100, Ace Agincourt wrote:
> > ? > ? > ? > Hi Roberto,
> > ? > ? > ?
> > ? > ? > ? > Serbia was at war with the Kosovas.  Are you claiming that the mass
> > ? > ? > ? > murders did not occur.
> > ? > ? > ?
> > ? > ? > ? They are mass *murders* only if they are war *crimes*, ie they are
> > ? > ? > ? unlawful even in the context of war. Are you claiming the mass murders
> > ? > ? > ? were not war crimes ?
> > ? > ? >
> > ? > ? > Should, then, Lord Walworth have been tried for war crimes after he
> > ? > ? > murdered Wat Tyler?  Who would have intervened in England's private
> > ? > ? > affairs?
> > ? > ? >
> > ? > ? > ?
> > ? > ? > ? > Also, Hitler went to war against the Jews.
> > ? > ? > ? > Are you a holocaust denier?
> > ? > ? > ?
> > ? > ? > ? The NAZIs were tried as war *criminals*, meaning their killings were
>found
> > ? > ? > ? to be unlwaful.
> > ? > ? >
> > ? > ? > Under whose authority?  Should Bill Clinton be forced to stand trial
> > ? > ? > for his war crimes: the bombing of a Sudanese Pharmaceutical plant and
> > ? > ?
> > ? > ? Yes.
> > ? > ?
> > ? > ? He should also be put on trial for Treason.
> > ? > ?
> > ? > ? And sentanced to hanging by his testicles.
> > ? >
> > ? > Don't you think hanging by testicles is too good for him?
> > ?
> > ?
> > ? That depends on whether you tie a noose around his testicles...or use
> > ? 300-pound test fishing line, stitched THROUGH his testicles.
> >
> > Wouldn't the line just pull through, leaving him writhing on the floor
> > in agony until he dies?
> >
> > I think the place for his trial would be China.  There they have some
> > very ingenious ways to execute, where the execution process takes
> > days, even weeks.  Making him wear the wire jacket may be appropriate.
> >

> You have to start this with the water torture first.  Its a tough call
> tho.
> Would the water torture make him numb or insane so that the wire jacket

How about SALT water THROUGHOUT the death by a thousand cuts.

> > The Wire Jacket and Death by a Thousand Cuts
> >
> > Wire is wrapped tightly around the naked body
> >
> > Each day the executioner cuts off a bit of flesh protruding between
> > bits of wire
> >
> > Apart from the cuts, the condemned is cared for (fed and watered)
> >
> > A skilled executioner can make the execution last over a month
> >
> > The condemned can last until 90% of his skin has been removed
> >
> > The condemned doesn't bleed to death because the tight wire prevents
> > excessive blood loss
> >
> > Each cut adds to the agony of the condemned
> >
> > ?
> > ?
> > ?
> > ? >
> > ? > ?
> > ? > ?
> > ? > ? > the associated maimings, and the bombing of an Afghan youth training
> > ? > ? > centre and its associated murders?
> > ? > ? >
> > ? > ? > Best wishes, Ace.
> > ? > ? >
> > ? > ? > ====================
> > ? > ? >
> > ? > ? > This story shall the good man teach his son;
> > ? > ? > And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
> > ? > ? > From this day to the ending of the world.
> > ? >
> > ? > Best wishes, Ace.
> > ? >
> > ? > ====================
> > ? >
> > ? > This story shall the good man teach his son;
> > ? > And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
> > ? > From this day to the ending of the world.
> >
> > Best wishes, Ace.

> > This story shall the good man teach his son;
> > And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
> > From this day to the ending of the world.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.