From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are Linux people illiterate?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:51:53 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > We may never know what the first language of Britian was.  So let us
> start
> > > with the proto gaelic of the Picts and Celts.  Then came the Romans to
> > > Britonium (sp?) and their introduction of Latin.  It was the Roman
> presence
> >   ^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > The people were known as the Britons, and the land was called Britain
> >
> > (not Great Britain, merely Britain).
>
> You are generally correct.  Britian has been the name of the land for a long
> time.  It was to Romans who first tagged those barbarians with the name
> Britons and others with then name Picts.  Note here I am using the word
> "barbarian" in it classical Roman meaning which is not of the empire.  The
> Britons and the Picts had the habit of tatooing their bodies in elaborate
> patterns and then going around with very little clothing, compared to

As I recall, the Picts also had a predilection towards painting
themselves with blue clay before going into battle...

Help! Help! We're being attacked by smurfs!

> Romans.  So the Romans named these people as "the painted peoples" which is
> what Briton is derived from.  Their land was named became know as "the land
> of painted people" which has come down to us as Britian.  The part of
> Britain that was a Roman provence was known as Britonium (sp?) (Got to look
> it up.)

ah, ok

> [...]
>
> Correct, that was the dividing line between the land that the Romans were
> able to make a part of the empire and the land that they didn't.  When the
> Legions were no longer able to maintain the intergrity of that border, the
> wall was built to assist the Legions.
>
> > I was in Norway recently, and was surprised how many words I could
> > recognize between my English and my study of Russian.
>
> The Viking, controlled of Britian for about a couple of centeries.  Many of
> the British today are the decendents of Vikings, at least in part.  So the
> language assorbed much from the language of the Norsemen, and the affinity
> between to languages are still evident today as you discovered.  Even when
> the words don't come across, the sound do.
>
> > > When it evolved into old english it started to become a
> > > writtenlanguage as well.  But there were no standard spelling and each
> > > author "wood rite tha words lik he thot waz rite".
> >
> > correction:
> >
> > "an eech awfor wood rite tha werds like Timmie Pawlmer duz."
>
> Perfect example of writing English without having a standard speller.
>
> > > When that became too much of a problem, the crown commissioned the
> > > development of the standard speller an dictionary for the language of
> the
> > > English.  Which is the source of the terms "the King's English" and "the
> > > Queen's English".  The person who was appointed to the task was not a
> great
> > > linguist, so he wrote the dictionary by examining various documents
> written
> > > in "english" and gathered spelling samples from those documets.
> Although
> > > rules were established as a part of that effort they were not applied as
> > > they should have.  The mishmash of spelling rules the we have to live
> with
> > > today got started that way.
> >
> > something is askew here.
> >
> > Words of Greek  origin have consistant spelling rules with themselves.
> > Words of Latin  origin have consistant spelling rules with themselves.
> > Words of French origin have consistant spelling rules with themselves.
> > Words of German origin have consistant spelling rules with themselves.
> > Words of Norse  origin have consistant spelling rules with themselves.
>
> Correct.  Which is consistant with the mutt nature of the development of the
> english language.  When the standard speller and dictionary for english was
> first being developed.  English has still mostly a oral language.  There was
> the opportunity to develop the written form to have consistant spelling
> rules with in English.
>
> From what I understand of the process that was actually used:  As many books
> and other documents written in English were gathered, wordlist were
> generated from them.  The word lists were merged alternate spelling of the
> same words were folded together and one spelling was selected.  From this
> master word list, the final product was created.

When did all of this occur?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with printer
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:53:55 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:56:14 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >Tim Palmer wrote:

> >> Wat maid you tihk that? This is LIE-nux your tocking about hear. Like you sed, it
>work's fine with Windo's,
> >> so wye not use Win and be happie?
> >
> >Being happy and using M$-Loseware are mutually exclusive experiences.
> >

> Maibe for you, but millians of happie poepal use it every dayuse it every day

Is your spelling so lousy because it's so hard to type with Bill's
genitals in your anus, and Steve Bawwwwwlmer's in your mouth....

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: 19 Jul 2000 02:58:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: The statement above has absolutely no facts to debate. Instead of reciting
: the anti-MS "evil Microsoft" line try laying down some proven incidents of
: wrongdoing on Microsoft's part.

Why bother repeating the effort of the court case?  Go read
Judge Jackson's findings of fact.  This task has already been
done.

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 23:07:24 -0400

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8l35h4$a6m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : The statement above has absolutely no facts to debate. Instead of
reciting
> : the anti-MS "evil Microsoft" line try laying down some proven incidents
of
> : wrongdoing on Microsoft's part.
>
> Why bother repeating the effort of the court case?  Go read
> Judge Jackson's findings of fact.  This task has already been
> done.

Very few facts can be found there.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:00:20 -0400

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 07/18/00
   at 05:18 PM, Mark Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>BZZZT!  Wrong.  If you read my messages, you will see that I never said what
>you ascribe to me.  In fact, I have stated that I agree with government
>oversight of business and believe that there are things which government does
>best.  Your last statement, with the exception of calling me a "jerk," is
>something I might have said (although I would have worked on the spelling a
>bit).

>If you want to argue, find out if you really disagree before you go attacking
>people.  You come off looking like a jerk, yourself.

BZZZT what hell makes you think everyone reads everything you say?

BZZZZT you made blanket,  black/white statement. If I have it wrong, its not
my mis-interpretation, but your lack of clearly stating what you really mean.
-- But lets see what you really know. Why don't you give your of the things
government has blotched and that business didn't.

BZZZZZT I have repetitive motion injuries to both hands that lead errors.
Frankly, I didn't the post significant enough to make extra work of it.

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What I've always said: Netcraft numbers of full of it
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:32:25 +1000

"sandrews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8l2v27$oq7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Christopher Smith"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> No the one you don`t have to reboot daily (hint it`s a
> >> distribution).
> >
> > Well I know you don't have to reboot Win2k daily, so it's not
> > that.......
> >

> It`s not a m$ product and it`s NOT full of bugs nor security holes.

Well, Win2k isn't full of bugs & security holes so.......

You seem to be at an illogical conclusion.....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: NYC LOCAL: NYLUG Meeting Wednesday 19 July 2000: Will Roseman of Linux Global
Partners reports from the front
Date: 18 Jul 2000 23:32:26 -0400

Until last year there was hardly any serious up-front money spent on free
software.  This year we will see billions invested.  This logistical
support is crucial to the success of our forces in their advance into the
very heartland of the enemy's empire, the fabled "Desktop".

If you wish to support the Free Software Forces, and perhaps make some
money too, come and hear how Will Roseman and Frederick Berenstein and many
more investors are already helping.

This meeting is free and open to the public.

Official notice below.

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

        *** New York Linux Users Group July Meeting ***
                           - NYLUG.org -

        Linux Global Partners, formerly called "The Linux Fund"
  -Premier Holding Company and Venture Capitalist in the Linux Space-

7/19/00
Wednesday
6:30pm-8:00pm
IBM Headquarters Building
590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street
Check in at lobby for badge and room number

Join us as Will Roseman, Principal, discusses his experiences investing in
start-ups and how Linux Global Partners has developed a successful network
of Linux-specific companies, including the GNOME desktop company, Helix
Code; as well as Code Weavers, Metro Link Inc., Gnu-Money, KT Wave,
Heimdall Linux, and Linux Utilities.

_______________________________
After the Meeting... Stammtisch

Join us around 8:15pm or so at the Typhoon Brewery & Restaurant located
at 22 East 54th Street between Madsion and 5th Aves.
What is Stammtisch? http://linuxmafia.com/bale/#stammtisch

______________
Swag Give-Away

Storm Linux cds and VA Linux window stickers. Limited quantities.

______________________________________
Where & When is the NYLUG.org Meeting?

With the generous support of IBM, all regular NY-LUG meetings are held at
the main IBM building at 590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street in mid-town
Manhattan every third Wednesday of the month starting at 6:30pm. All
meetings are free and open to the public.

Thanks to Eric Berg, we now have sortable archives from 1999 and in new
millenium. Check it out at: www.nylug.org

________
Contacts

Jim Gleason, President, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Eric Berg, Vice President, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

______________
What is Linux?
http://www.nylug.org/about_linux.html

__________________
What is NYLUG.org?

NYLUG (www.nylug.org) is New York's Linux Users Group supporting all
things Linux and Open Source in the New York metro area. Please feel
free to contact me if you have any questions about the NYLUG.org.

______________
Special Thanks

To everyone who helped to make the July 17th protest in front of the NYC
courthouse a huge success - especially Billy Donahue and Ruben Safir. And
many thanks go to all of the people who travelled down to Washington DC
for the DMCA protest in front of The Library of Congress on May 2nd. Many
thanks also to Rebecca Blake & Lara Kisielewska of Optimum Design (they
co-publish Linux Magazine) for creating our mascot "Tuxi" and to Mark
Andal for the original cabbie idea. Thanks to Ari Jort - core nylugger
whose contributions are too numerous to mention here. Special thanks also
go to Peter Norton and Barry Hughes, NYLUG's lead engineers at LinuxWorld
Expo, and all of the other NYLUGGERS who volunteered. Without you, we
could not have done the show. Good job!

NYLUG.org: Host LUG Sponsor of LinuxWorld Expo's .Org Pavillion
February 1-4, 2000; Jacob Javits Center, NYC

Jim Gleason               VA Linux Systems
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.valinux.com
phone: 212-858-7684       President, New York Linux Users Group
fax: 212-858-7685         http://www.nylug.org

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:20:08 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As I recall, the Picts also had a predilection towards painting
> themselves with blue clay before going into battle...

That is true.

> Help! Help! We're being attacked by smurfs!

Now I have an image of an army of mutant killer smurfs lead by old Papa
Braveheart Smurf charging the Roman Legions!  ;-)

> > From what I understand of the process that was actually used:  As many
books
> > and other documents written in English were gathered, wordlist were
> > generated from them.  The word lists were merged alternate spelling of
the
> > same words were folded together and one spelling was selected.  From
this
> > master word list, the final product was created.
>

> When did all of this occur?

It was around the time of the introduction of the moveable type printing
press to England.  While Gutenburg first big commision for the moveable type
press was his Bibles.  The first big commision for the press in England was
for the Dictionary.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of Free OS's and M$ pricing a little side trip!
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:03:53 -0700

Colin R. Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > From your measure the ratio of the cost of a Microsoft solution ot a
Linux
> > solution is approx 1.76:1.  But I think that the ratio would be even
more
> > slanted in favor of Linux.
>
> 800,000:290,000 is about 2.76:1  Then 510,000 is the savings, not the cost
> of MS.

The 1.76:1 was a typo, sorry.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.sys.sun.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Star Office to be open sourced
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 03:39:03 GMT

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, phil hunt wrote:

> Unix is very flexible. Consider what it was originally designed for --
> multiuser systems with teletypes or dumb terminals, & 1-2 MB RAM. Now

I'm sure Ken & Dennis would have loved to have as much as 1-2 MB of RAN
to play with!  The first version of UNIX ran on a PDP-7, that had only
4096 18 bit words available for user programs - that's right, about 8K!!

I imagine 1 or 2 MB in those days would have been considered a large disk.

> consider what it's actually used for: a very wide range of devices,
> from PCs, graphic workstations, supercomputers, embedded control
> systems, MP3 players, and (soon) palmtop PDAs. There's never been another
> OS that covers even half as wide a range of uses. The fact that it is
> so versatile points to it being well designed.

Absolutely!

> 1. Use + for arguments instead of -. So:
>    $ something +verbose
> would turn on verbose mode, and
>    $ something -verbose
> would turn it off

Argh!  And turn you back on 30 years of tradition?!

> 2. have more regularity in arguments, probably by having a standard parser
> in the OS. At the moment, some use:
>    $ something -a=value
> others use:
>    $ something -avalue
> I'd standardise on the former.

Well, there is a standard parser; it's galled getopt().

I prefer the latter, as the "=" is redundant.

> 3. for each command-line program, have a GUI version, with the same name
> but prefixed with a 'g'. So grep and ggrep, ps and gps, ftp and gftp, etc.

I'm sure the GNU crowd will hang you for suggesting this!  :-)

> 4. (a big change), for each optional package that can be added to the
> system, the package would go in directory /opt/package-version where
> <version> is of the form 1.2.3. There would be a symbolic link, /opt/package,
> pointing to the one in use.

Err, that's pretty much the "standard" SVR4 way of doing things; /usr/local
is a hold over from the Old Days...

I like some of your other ideas - but some of them would require a lot
of CPU power!  Not to mention kernel size bloat...

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

------------------------------

From: joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 03:34:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, JS/PL wrote:
> > >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >
> > >No - a bunch of socialist personality types sitting around agreeing
(and
> > >insisting) that government should steer the design of their
software is
> > >boring.
> >
> > You don't even understand what's happened well enough to complain
> > intelligently.
> >
> > MS is being broken up so the government does not have to get
involved with
> the
> > design of software.
>
> How naive are you? This ruling automatically assigns a team of
government
> employees with the task of enforcing this assinine ruling until the
end of
> time.

You have to naive to think folks are going to be scared into defending
MS against big bqad government.  The ruling splits MS - a la AT&T and
that ruling has conservative support.

If the ruling stands (*which most feel it won't) the United
States
> Government will be designing the OS in a MUCH greater sense than your
> idiotic "so they won't have to get involved" foolishness.

Yeah like that failed AT&T breakup.  Get a life man.

As it stands the company will be broken - that's not oversight. It is
over !  Even MS supporters complain they took an extreme, noncredible,
nondefensible stance.

--

-- joseph

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 03:56:48 GMT

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:33:25 -0700, Spud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[snips]
>
>"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Boris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> What are your (Windows advocate) reactions to this whole .NET
>software
>> leasing idea?
>
>Well, I'm a Windows user rather than advocate, but...
>
>Personally, I could care less.  The one potential benefit I see is not

        Alternately: open data interchange protocols would allow you
        to buy any product that you like whether it is complex or simple,
        cheap or overpriced, underfeatured or overfeatured and they would
        all allow you to get your computing done.

        You also wouldn't be a prisoner to the M$ upgrade treadmill or
        need to constantly feed M$ coffers with rental fees.

>having to shell out umpteen bucks for a product which I will at best
>occasionally use; if I understand their plans, I'll pay when I _do_
>use it, and quite possibly end up paying a heck of a lot less than
>purchasing.

        Alternately, you wouldn't have to continue to pay rent once
        you've gotten the 'car' or 'house' fully paid off and either
        can still be of use to you.

--
        The LGPL does infact tend to be used instead of the GPL in instances
        where merely reusing a component, while not actually altering that

        This dramatically alters the nature and usefulness of Free Software
        in practice, contrary to the 'all viral all the time' fantasy the
        anti-GPL cabal here would prefer one to believe.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pat Goff)
Date: 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00 GMT
Subject: Dell Foos Festival

Attention,
Everyone in the tech industry who loves to play foosball the Dell foos festival
is just for you!

This is a FREE event just for  players in the tech world.

August 11th, Austin TX.

http://www.natsa.org   click on the Dell foostable icon, for registration and
information
Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Microsoft's new ".NET"
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:01:55 GMT

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:18:51 -0700, Spud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[snips]
>
>"TimL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:VVca5.2798$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (RealCea) wrote:
>
>> the worst type of monopoly this country has ever seen? Innovation my
>> > ASS!! Whats up with the crappy BIOs/IRQ architecture? You'd think
>they
>> > would develop something beyond
>> > 1970 technology there. All I see is a lucky man who got his OS
>(MS-DOS)
>> > on all
>> > of IBM's PC's. And that was not even developed by him!!!
>> >
>> > P.S. Internet Explorer was originally developed by Spry, Inc.
>>
>> Uhm, what does Microsoft has to do with BIOS/IRQ architecture?
>
>Simple logic: "It's bad, therefore it must be Microsoft's fault -
>regardless of who actually did it."

        No, they were a dominant force on the platform in question
        for the last 20 years...

[deletia]

From: "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advocacy and Programmers...
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:56:43 -0700

Davorin Mestric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8l1ufj$r54$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have followed this ng for a while now. One very interesting fact I
> > picked up is the huge anti RAD (Rappid Application Development) fealing
> > of the Linux Programmers.
>
>     that's because they don't have them.  it is the same when you hate
those
> people in expensive cars.

Well, you are close. It turns out that those who prefer RAD tools, do not
use GNU/Linux because GNU/Linux does not have [decent] RAD tools. The same,
I think goes for the the CLI/GUI ongoing debate. Those who prefer a nice
graphical user interface do not use GNU/Linux because GNU/Linux hasn't had a
nice graphical user interface until relatively recently in the operating
system's history.

But your implication of jealosy is both absurd and wrong.

Best Regards,
Kevin Holmes
"extrasolar"