From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft DEATH NECKLESS is COMPLETE!!!
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:53:04 +0000

> Just a few?  How many is a few?  Apple II, Commodore 64, PET, trs-80,
> color computer, Altair, TS-1000/ZX-81, Unisys A and B systems, CDC Cyber
> systems, Cray I, II, III, XMP and YMP, ETA 1, Connection Machines,
> RS-6000, AS/400, IBM System 36/38, Any number of VAX systems, IBM 43xx,
> Tandems,  HP 9000, Psion...
>
> I could go on for quite some time you know for systems that don't have
> Linux ports.

You could, but as usual, you're full of shit. The Psion does have a Linux
port, and most of the ones you mentioned don't exist outside of museums
any more. Are there any Cray I's actually running anymore?

BTW: http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/

> 250,000 mostly part time developers, often working on competing
> projects.
> For instance, all the people working on KDE and GNOME are essentially
> duplicating each others work in different ways.  Eventually, one of them
> will win out and the others work will mostly have been for nothing.

Competion is good. That's why the monoply crapware is shite.

> And that's 250,000 developers working on all the applications as well,
> MS has something like 20,000 developers on it's payroll including
> contractors, as full time workers versus the part time Linux
> developers.

still less than 1/10 of the numbers.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:54:08 +0000

In article <94tcl4$1gd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:wbpc6.1132$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:94t0a8$h2d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > they
>> >
>> > AFAIU, the difference between 32 bit & 64 bit is mainly in the HAL,
>> > NT itself is platform independent.
>> >
>> Well yes and no, the IA64 bit version will have its own HAL, but it
>> will also be ported to support 64bit cleanly, that means removing a lot
>> of underlying 32bit cruft as well as adding a 32bit compatibility
>> module. So there is quite a lot of work involved, it's not just a
>> matter of using a different compiler, it never is with an operating
>> system moving to a different natural word size.
>
> Thanks for the clarification. BTW, I understand that Intel is having big
> trouble with building a compiler for IA-64. That is Not Good.

I don't think so. There's a thread on comp.arch about it.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: All this Whistler stuff.
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:02:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>> "Martigan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:Vzkc6.29755$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >     News articles around are claming this thing to be the greatest
>> invention
>> > around.  What I want know is if it is so great, an you can do so many
>> things
>> > with it, why can't you customize it, i.e. the kernel?  Cuz M$ don't want
>> you
>> > to know!  Plus is it is so great then why will there be a SR-1 about four
>> > months after it's release?
>>
>> What exactly would you like to customize in the kernel?  Nearly any
>> parameter the kernel uses for tuning is accesible through the registry.
>
>Even with Regedit, 95% of the registry is indecipherable nonsense...
>

>--
>Aaron R. Kulkis

This is absolutely true!

The #1 complaint from Loosesters is that Linux files are HARD
to edit and HARD to understand...  Oh what a pain,,, bo-ho-bo-ho!

Try Regedit.  20,000 year old hyragliphics make more sense.

And you have to re-boot to see the effect of any change in the
registry.  Another SUCK feature of Windows.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:04:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:

>> >THOLEN!
>> >JUST GO JUMP IN THE GODDAMNED VOLCANO, YOU MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT!
>> >

>> tholen is definitely mentally sick.
>>
>> He's been doing this since the early 90's.
>> Perhaps earlier than that.
>
>My first unfortunate experience of reading Tholen's pollution dates back
>to 1989.

This is incredible!   This man has been mentally disturbed
and on the internet pumping out this kind of crap for
12 years or more????

Why don't the authorities get him into  a state hospital
where he can be treated?

Charlie

------------------------------

From: CR Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ramen worm/virus cracks NASA and others
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:06:27 GMT

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Shane Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Conrad Rutherford wrote:
> > >
> > > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:94q17o$13p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> is
> > > now
> Web
> > > status
> A&M,
> > > and
> Redhat
> > > 6.2
> system,
> its

> > > discovery
> computer
> > > system,

> highly
> > >
> > > But it can't even reach C2 level of security... NT is more "highly
> > > securable" the NSA says...
> >

> > NT 3.51 on a Compaq box with no network connection or floppy drive was C2.
> > I don't believe NT 4 or 5 were ever C2 certified in *any* configuration
> > but I may be wrong.
>
> You are wrong. NT4 was C2 certified with both a floppy and network
> connection.

Got a link? Last I used NT, it wouldn't qualify with a floppy or network
card. I can get access to other users and copy their files. I don't
think Linux by itself would qualify either. The user-group-other access
mechanism isn't sufficient.

--
Russ
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:10:01 -0500

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) wrote:
> > >
> > > I read thru this article and I remembered the Microsoft promise.
> > > And it all came flashing back to me GD'it.  I completely missed
> > > it!
> > >
> > > Microsoft W2k was their attempt at creating a mono-os to replace
> > > the dual product lines of NT and 98/95.  They needed to make
> > > this effort work as it IS too costly to compete with Linux
> > > when you HAVE to support dual os's and PAY your EMPLOYEE'S.
> >
> > I've often wondered why this fact didn't draw more attention. NT5
> > was supposed to be the one OS for all purposes.
> >
> > > Funny but, in Linux land there is only ONE OS which is
> > > supported and that's Linux.  No-matter what machine
> > > you may be running on, Linux is consistent on all of
> > > them.  You could be running a mac or an S390, the
> > > OS base is the same to the user.
> >
> > Microsoft just don't understand this and it is one reason why
> > they have lost the server market. The main reason of course is
> > instability and non-existant security.
> >
> > > They are insane to even believe they can compete with an OS
> > > like Linux.  There are just a FEW computers left which don't
> > > have a Linux port working for them.  Just a few.
> >
> > They 'bet the farm' on w2k. They lost but they have so much cash
> > they can ride the storm. They are now betting the farm on the
> > xbox and .net. I will be surprised if xbox is as big a success
> > as they need but .net will be DOA. Microsoft will be around for
> > a long time but their domination of the PC market will disappear
> > long before 2005. They will be a medium sized applications
> > developer in 2005 under new management.
>
> Gate's pride will keep him anchored to a sinking ship.
> Broken back, and a hole below the waterline.
>
> Heh heh heh hehhhhh

Nice to see that all is well in Fantasy Island. These are bold predictions
from those that constitute ONE user to THREE HUNDRED other OS type users.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:05:13 +0000
From: Mart van de Wege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> "." wrote:
>

>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>> Certain countries (Norway comes to mind) are very friendly towards
>
>>> choice and freedom, but not 'Europe' in general.
>

>> Netherlands: all the freedom of norway with 1. half the taxes and
>
>> 2. more to do.
>

> Heh heh heh.
>

> The only army in the world that's unionized, too.
>

> The army Union negotiated that they don't have to get haircuts unless
>
> they are actually getting mobilized.
>

>> -----.
Sorry Aaron,

That was while we stil had a conscript army. It was the VVDM
(Union of Conscripted Personnel) that pushed this through.
Unfortunately for your argument we abandoned conscription a
couple of years ago, and we now have a fully professional army.
Crewcuts are still not mandatory, but hair is now not supposed to
go beneath the ears I believe.
I agree it was a bit silly though, long haired soldiers. Also it
must be said that apart from the unfortunate Srebrenica incident,
the Royal Dutch Armed Forces and it's various services have
performed well in the field, despite their liberal and informal
regulations.
I'll shut up now before I wander further Off-Topic,

Mart

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:11:54 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >>
> >> "Martigan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:Vzkc6.29755$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> invention
> >> things
> >> you
> >>
> >> What exactly would you like to customize in the kernel?  Nearly any
> >> parameter the kernel uses for tuning is accesible through the registry.
> >
> >Even with Regedit, 95% of the registry is indecipherable nonsense...
> >

> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
>
> This is absolutely true!
>
> The #1 complaint from Loosesters is that Linux files are HARD
> to edit and HARD to understand...  Oh what a pain,,, bo-ho-bo-ho!
>
> Try Regedit.  20,000 year old hyragliphics make more sense.
>
> And you have to re-boot to see the effect of any change in the
> registry.  Another SUCK feature of Windows.

And if you guessed wrong, and it doesn't boot up....HAVE FUN!!!!

> Charlie

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:05:02 +0100

> Wow.  A real live Microsoft employee.  Right here in
> alt.destroy.microsoft.  :-D
Thats not correct, I'm in A.L.S :-),

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:13:12 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >Charlie Ebert wrote:

> >> tholen is definitely mentally sick.
> >>
> >> He's been doing this since the early 90's.
> >> Perhaps earlier than that.
> >
> >My first unfortunate experience of reading Tholen's pollution dates back
> >to 1989.
> >

> This is incredible!   This man has been mentally disturbed
> and on the internet pumping out this kind of crap for
> 12 years or more????
>
> Why don't the authorities get him into  a state hospital
> where he can be treated?

Why do you think I encourage the worhtless piece of shit to develop
and up-close and personal relationship with a local source of
free-flowing lava?

> Charlie
>

> >> I do not understand why anybody would waste their
> >> time with this crap for a decade or more
> >> when they could just kill themselves and be
> >> done with their worthless miserable lives?
> >>
> >> But then again, I wonder the same of the Windows
> >> community...
> >>
> >> Charlie
> >

> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:15:04 -0500

CR Lyttle wrote:

> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Shane Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > is
> > Web
> > A&M,
> > Redhat
> > system,
> > its

> > computer

> > highly

> > > NT 3.51 on a Compaq box with no network connection or floppy drive was C2.
> > > I don't believe NT 4 or 5 were ever C2 certified in *any* configuration
> > > but I may be wrong.
> >
> > You are wrong. NT4 was C2 certified with both a floppy and network
> > connection.
> >

> Got a link? Last I used NT, it wouldn't qualify with a floppy or network
> card. I can get access to other users and copy their files. I don't
> think Linux by itself would qualify either. The user-group-other access
> mechanism isn't sufficient.

Most commercial Unices qualify.

As soon as Ext3 comes out (with ACL's), it will qualify also.

> >>SNIP<<
> --
> Russ
> <http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
> Not powered by ActiveX

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:17:18 +0000

In article <94sogk$5lf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> So you didn't buy Visio because is was non-MS software?  (Cutting off
>> your
> Not exactly. I just knew that there existed a product called visio, I
> just didn't know it was that good. When ms bought it and integrated it
> into it's office line I gave it a try and liked it immediately. What I
> like about office is that all products fit nicely together, that you get
> cool and solid installers and that they are a lot more stable then the
> competition (unless you install crapy software on the same box). The
> reason I started to give the ms-only pc a try was because of netscape
> 4.0.. (which really messed up my machine!). After that I converted from
> NS
> to IE and from FrameMaker to Word. (and I never looked back!).

You went _from FrameMaker *to* Word?!

*boggle*

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: How long does your box run for?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:17:43 GMT

In article <94ug9m$rc9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward Rosten wrote:
>I'm curious, so I'd thought I'd fire off a question:
>
>How many of you leave your Linux boxen on 24/7 and how many of you switch
>them off every night?
>

>Cheers
>
>-Ed
>
>PS I switch mine off every night (mostly).
>
>--
>Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
>weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>       - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                         |eng.ox.ac.uk

4 computers at 24 X 7.

This was something I couldn't do with Windows NT.

My uptimes are limited only to the power company's whims
and the whims of the Debian development team and their
release schedule.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:09:43 +0100

> >The possibility of a corrupted filesystem doesn't really bother me too
> >much, since I expect that of 98 anyway.  I run scandisk every so often
> >when I need to (e.g to fix the not-shutting-down problem from time to
> >time).
>

> Can you believe that Microsoft still doesn't have a decent file
> system.
>
> They don't even have the equivalent of EXT2 yet.
Consult "Windows NT File System Internals : A Developer's Guide"
by Rajeev Nagar (ISBN: 1565922492) and come back if you still think they
don't.