  Re: What does IQ measure? (FM)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:10:04 GMT

Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:57:09 +1300;

>> >But that ignorance leads them to do ... stupid things...which makes
>> >them "not nearly as good programmers as they would be if their
>> >ignorance was removed by learning about *the computer*"
>>
>> Both of you have completely missed the point.
>>

>Then we have done it by misunderstanding you, so why don't you try and
>explain the point better?
>
>It's hard to explain OUR point more clearly - knowing low level languages
>improves your ability to use high level languages.
>

>Perhaps your point is that you don't have the time to learn about lower
>levels?  You want to get on and get the app working and out the door?
>That's bad programming from two separate points of view.

No; his point isn't about programming apps.  Its about automating apps.
LShaping is a fan, as I am, of desktop automation.  Its almost
programming, sort of like scripting, but requires less arcane and
otherwise useless knowledge to accomplish, and is far more valuable to
the non-expert user.

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Middle Aged Fat Asses
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:15:55 GMT

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> Why is is that everytime the subject of Linux comes up in an
> office, about 25 middle aged fat asses fly into the conversation
> to profess the advocacy of using Windows powered boxes.
>
> Windows boxes are so easy to install.  I tried to install Linux
> and it was SOO DIFFICULT!  Every PC crashes, so why pick the OS
> which is hardest to install!  Oh my!
>
> They are so concerned about install and setup they forgot the
> REASON this BECAME IMPORTANT!  It BECAME IMPORTANT BECAUSE,,,,
> MIDDDLE AGGGED FATTTASS MAN ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME HERE,,,,
> IT BECAME IMPORTANT BECAUSE WINDOWS IS AN UNRELIABLE PEICE
> OF SHIT OPERATING SYSTEM WHICH ISN'T CAPABLE OF UPTIMES EXCEEDING
> A WEEK!  IT'S THE FUCKING OPERATING SYSTEM WHICH HAS MADE THIS
> RE-INSTALLATION ISSUE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO YOU!
>
> The next concern MIDDLE AGED FAT ASS MAN has is that Linux
> doesn't have Microsoft Office.  MAFAM can't use a computer unless
> it has his favorite!  MAFAM, use Star Office or Gnome or KDE office.
> Use Evolution!    Do not rely on MAFAM products from Micro-crash anymore.
>
> There must be a device which uses centrifical force or some other means
> which will transfer MAFAM's brain from this lower extremeties back
> up to his cranium where it belongs.
>
> MAFAM also has this terrible difficulty in understanding why it's important
> to know LINUX is ready for business when you refer to the largest
> super computer clusters being built from Linux.  MAFAM thinks that's
> GEEK BRAINS STUFF and that doesn't APPLY TO MAFAM WORLD!
>
> Nothing in MAFAM's world needs to have GEEK BRAINS stuff as long as
> you have a GOOD PLAN!
>
> MAFAM lives by the GOOD PLAN philosophy.
>
> See you all on the wide track MAFAM'S!
>
> Charlie

I've never noticed the phenomenon. Mostly 'middle-aged fat asses' just
sit around talking about sports or something.

I wondered if Linus put a comment in the source code about 'middle-age
fat asses' that was deemed offensive.

Scenario:
#define "some header file"

/* What's funny is that I'm purposefully including this function just so
that 'middle-aged fat-asses' can't install easily! Because if there's
one thing I can't stand, it's 'middle-age fat-asses' - Linus */

void Anti_Fat_Ass (int& weight, int& Age)
{
        if ((weight >= fat) && (Age >= Middle))
                fubar_install();
}

Sounds like a potential Oliver Stone movie if you ask me, which I'm sure
you won't.

--
Happy Trails!

-Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:18:30 GMT

In article <nuVq6.397253$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mmnnoo wrote:
>No offense, Charlie, but you're starting to scare me a little.
>The large numbers of separate posts with links and no
>comment.... on another day, ranting... all caps...
>and now 'MAFAM's?

I read all posts despite what you might think.

The internet and especially newsgroups are not scary.
I am not scary.

You can just as easily NOT read me messages as you can
just as easily BUD list me on your local computer.

I do not feel compelled to adopt to your philosophy of
life and I personally have not called you a middle
aged fat ass man.

Now that covers posting with type.

And I see you have a problem with me posting without type.

FUCK OFF!!!

I think it about covers it.

Go home to mommy and just FUCK OFF.

Thanks

Charlie

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:18:49 GMT

Said LShaping in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 11 Mar 2001 00:46:54 GMT;
>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Said LShaping in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 08 Mar 2001 02:41:16 GMT;
>>>"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in

>>>That is a wild generalization which suggests that a high level programmer
>>>must not only know the machine language but also be able to redefine
>>>functions using machine language.  Strange, that coming from someone who
>>>probably is multilingual.  Obviously, Giuliano is assuming that there will
>>>never be progress in programming languages, that all "good" programmers will
>>>always be stuck messing with machine language.  Or he is assuming that
>>>machine language will always stay in step with high level languages.  The
>>>more likely scenario, if this is not already the case, it that high level
>>>programmers must leave the details to low level programmers.  Human
>>>languages certainly do not require the user to know every detail, heaven
>>>help us if they did.
>>
>>I think what Giuliano said is that all "good" programmers *understand*
>>machine language; he didn't say anything about messing with it.  And he
>>is right, of course;
>
>And that is an opinion, of course.

Its obviously Giuliano's opinion, as you will find it is most
developer's opinions, which is not surprising, considering it's a fact.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:19:41 GMT

Said Giuliano Colla in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 11 Mar 2001
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 3 Mar 2001
>> >"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>    [...]
>> >
>> >Make up your mind.  You just sat here and bitched about how high the price
>> >of Word was compared to it's competitors, now you're bitching because it's
>> >too cheap.  Can you at least choose a single position and stick with it?
>>
>> Fuck off Erik, this is about as disingenuous as you can get, and highly
>> dishonest.
>>
>> Come back when you can actually contribute to a discussion.
>>

>Feeding him his own stuff, aren't you?
>
>Try to be wrong sometimes Max, so that they may relax a bit. :-)

Well, at least somebody noticed.  But I'd hardly declare myself to never
be wrong; the troll's do that more than often enough, as it is.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: URGENT MESSAGE TO CHAD'S EMPLOYER Was: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:28:05 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 01 Mar 2001 03:22:40
> >>
> >> Please, whoever employs Chad, remove his windows machine this instant and
> >> make him use Solaris/CDE.
> >>
> >> -Ed
> >
> >Let the record show the kind of immature childish assholes I attempt to
> >engage in an intelligent debate with.
>
> Well, either it didn't work, or Chad was lying again.

Chad's using a tried-and-true Rush Limbaugh tactic... sanctimony.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Windows Owns Desktop, Extends Lead in Server Market
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:31:44 GMT

Said chrisv in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:00:13 GMT;
>"Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Othertimes, people'd come in wanting to buy Red-hat linux, and I'd point 'em
>>to the book-section. (Linux Bible series). They'd ask "Why not get the full
>>version?.." I'd tell em "Why? This is still a full installation, for half of
>>the retail box, and you get this thick 'manual' with it.."
>>
>>The expressions are always priceless..
>
>What's their expression like when they find out your store has, like,
>ZERO Linux apps for sale, while there's THOUSANDS of Windows apps on
>the shelves?

Anger, I'd expect.  At Microsoft.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:32:47 GMT

Said Roberto Alsina in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:00:50
-0300;
>chrisv wrote:
>
>> "Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>Othertimes, people'd come in wanting to buy Red-hat linux, and I'd point
>>>'em to the book-section. (Linux Bible series). They'd ask "Why not get the
>>>full version?.." I'd tell em "Why? This is still a full installation, for
>>>half of the retail box, and you get this thick 'manual' with it.."
>>>
>>>The expressions are always priceless..
>>
>> What's their expression like when they find out your store has, like,
>> ZERO Linux apps for sale, while there's THOUSANDS of Windows apps on
>> the shelves?
>
>Weird. Do you always value your things based on how much money you can
>spend on them?

A good point, Roberto, but I'm afraid its lost on those who honestly
have no use for an OS without packaged applications on the shelves to
buy for it.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:34:32 GMT

Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:47:50 +1300;
>> Been thinking along those lines myself. I despise Windows, I despise
>> Bill Gates, yet here I am helping people with their Windows problems
>> so they can go on using Windows and Bill Gates can go on making money
>> while I can go on offering free tech support so he doesn't have to
>> work quite so hard for his bucks.
>
>I admire those who offer their help for free out of, basically, a desire
>to do the right thing and help out your fellow man.  I try to emulate
>that behaviour myself, whenever a question I can answer is asked.
>
>To worry that helping others might increase BG's wealth by another
>0.00001% is unworthy of the original goal.

Thank you, ".".  That was well said.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:37:39 GMT

Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:14:26 +1300;
>> > I admire those who offer their help for free out of, basically, a desire
>> > to do the right thing and help out your fellow man.  I try to emulate
>> > that behaviour myself, whenever a question I can answer is asked.
>> >
>> > To worry that helping others might increase BG's wealth by another
>> > 0.00001% is unworthy of the original goal.
>>
>> 0.00001% of a billion is still 10K$US, BG has more than a mere billion.
>
>To think, I anticipated this post, and actually chose to remove the
>sentence that told you to imagine a very very small number in place of
>the one I typed, because I didn't know exactly how much money Gates had,
>and I didn't think anyone would pay more attention to the number than the
>idea.

You forgot that Usenet is like flypaper to pedants, as well as
pederasts.

>The amount of money BG makes directly off you (whoever) helping someone
>who already (potentially illegally) has it installed is a pretty
>intangible concept, so being literal really gets us nowhere.  The point
>is, the money is not as important as helping one another.

But Ayene's point that even a large sum of money is less than .0000001%
of BG's "wealth" is quite concrete, in its own right, I think.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:39:10 GMT

Said Bloody Viking in alt.destroy.microsoft on 5 Mar 2001 23:08:48 GMT;
>Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: small-time criminals attacking Mafia$oft...what's so bad about that.
>
>I don't know about you, but my moral compass is not degaussed. I suppose you
>could say that the virus fuckwits are vigilantes, but vigilantes that use
>criminal methods are still criminals, no matter the motive.

And vigilantes that are criminals are still vigilantes, not simply
criminals, regardless.

>: [You think these fuckwits care about Linux?  They're merely doing EXACTLY
>: what we tell M$-droids to beware of...M$ products' lack of security]
>
>Like I said, they are loose cannons. They are only helping out Linux by
>accident with their activities.

In the end, that can be said of all of us.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: NEEDED: A Loadlin Distro. (WAS: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks
government help to stop)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:42:52 GMT

Said Bloody Viking in alt.destroy.microsoft on 4 Mar 2001 01:46:58 GMT;

>Dave ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: LOL. Never use sarcasm when Chad's around, he's too dumb to "get" it.
>
><Norwegian accent>
>Ja, so: I n:oticed.
></Norwegian accent>

<*grin*>

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux Joke
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:43:36 GMT

Said Chris Ahlstrom in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 04 Mar 2001
01:25:31 GMT;
>Q.  Why does the Linux user constantly obtain
>    upgrades of the kernel and other OS facilities?
>
>A.  Because he can.

LOL!

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux office, a possible future.....
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:44:08 GMT

mlw wrote:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > says...
> >
> > > This is a real possibility, right now!!
> >
> > Where is it? Where? Where?
>
> Take your pick of Linux distributions.
> >
> > > Imagine most, if not all, office workers in a company using Linux with KDE or
> > > Gnome.
> >
> > Imagine all the bug reports... 8)
>
> Fewer than those that get send to Microsloth.
>

> > > Most corporate infrastructures are 100 BaseT networks on a switched backbone.
> >
> > Ah, there you've got me. Ours is still 10 BaseT. 100 BaseT coming soon!
>
> Perhaps yours, but all of the companies I deal with are upgraded.
>

> > > Imagine 25, 100, or 1000s of office workers connected to a central backbone.
> >
> > Can you imagine the network traffic?
>
> A switched backbone negates most traffic.
>

> > > The research department can use the cumulative processing power of these
> > > machines to process information.
> >
> > I'm not sure I'd like a myseterious research group to hijack my machine
> > and use it for their purposes!
>
> There is where we disagree. Most office workers don't care, and wouldn't even
> notice. As long as the spreadsheet, word processor, and e-mail work, they'd
> never know.

True.

> > > The IT department can use the various clustering and remote access technologies
> > > to manage all the machines as a whole or individually.
> >
> > Ah yes... here we go. Centralised management. That has been tried before.
> > I saw it at Digital. They had clusters, they had shared disks... it
> > worked, after a fashion.
>
> The tools were quite primitive 10 years ago.
>

> > Here's a "rule of thumb" for you.
> >
> > For every system you introduce to fix problems, the new system brings
> > with it it's own set of problems.
>
> Perhaps, but tried and true technology as MPI and the UNIX clustering tools are
> pretty well tested.
> >
> > That's not to say try something new, but... we've swung from individual
> > machines, through centralised ones, now individual again, and... where's
> > the fashion going now?

OT:

Am I the only person on the entire Internet who isn't insanely
interested in networking or networked computers? Nor would I be
interested in being a sys-admin. I like administering my own machine,
but I just don't find networking that interesting. I like coding better.

Just a question.

> > > The possibilities are amazing. We need to break this whole, stupid, DOS
> > > mentality that wastes billions of dollars of computing power. Sun has it right,
> > > the network "IS' the computer, but more to the point, the corporate
> > > infrastructure can be the computer.
> >
> > If you're talking about making computers be a network device you need one
> > thing first. A fast reliable network. That can happen in the office.
>
> Not a "network device" a stand-alone computing node. There is a big difference.
>

> > Where it won't happen is in the home. There are _still_ a lot of people
> > dialling up with 56k modems. Can you imagine having a diskless machine as
> > it tries to download an app across a 56k link? Or maybe you'll try
> > running X across such a link? Sluggish, did you say?
>
> Who said ANYTHING about diskless? No one but you. A modem connected unit would
> not be part of the cluster, but certainly remote adminstratable.
> >
> > > Windows computers, for all the bluster from Microsoft, are still no more
> > > innovative than the CP/M on which they were based. So what? They play sounds
> > > and put up pretty pictures. UNIX can do that and more.
> >
> > Please! There's a big difference between Windows and CP/M.
>
> The mentality is very similar. A small island onto itself. UNIX the idea has
> always been grouping the power of the computers.
>

> > As for UNIX being able to do, why aren't they doing it, why aren't they
> > the leading force on the desktop?
>
> The reason for that has a lot to do with AT&T, Microsoft's monopoly, etc.
> Anyone sufficiently educated with the history of the PC and modern operating
> systems could conclude it isn't because Microsoft did anything well.

Besides marketing, and a good business plan, and just even having an
interest in the PC's before most other companies.

> > > Sure there are more "applications" for Windows, but there are few applications
> > > available for Windows which do not have an equivalent in the UNIX world, i.e.
> > > there are very few innovative applications for Windows.
> >
> > What's the UNIX equivalent of Corel Draw?
>
> There are several packages, what did you have in mind for particular features?
>
> > Microsoft Word? (Star Office
> > is close but not quite there).
>
> Do tell, why isn't Star Office "there" yet? I have been using it over a year,
> before that I was using Applix.

I agree with Pete. It's a neat program, but it just doesn't have
everything down yet. Microsoft user-tests everything to death (except
stability, hehe) and it shows in particular when you use SO.

It's also hampered by the sluggishness of X, as are all other GUI apps.
Why do you think the vast majority of *nixen use text-based mail/news
readers?

> Tell me what isn't "there" yet about these packages?
>
> > I'm sorry but the number of desktop
> > applications on Windows easily outstrips those on UNIX.
>
> Number, yes, unique to a task, no.

Well, it's your own personal preference. Some people like the idea of
not needing a dozen apps in a *nix to do what in Windows would take one
app.

Unique to a task is not necessarily a good thing.

> --
> I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.

Good quote. :^)

--
Happy Trails!

-Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:46:32 GMT

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <nuVq6.397253$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mmnnoo wrote:
> >No offense, Charlie, but you're starting to scare me a little.
> >The large numbers of separate posts with links and no
> >comment.... on another day, ranting... all caps...
> >and now 'MAFAM's?
> >

> I read all posts despite what you might think.
>
> The internet and especially newsgroups are not scary.
> I am not scary.
>
> You can just as easily NOT read me messages as you can
> just as easily BUD list me on your local computer.
>
> I do not feel compelled to adopt to your philosophy of
> life and I personally have not called you a middle
> aged fat ass man.
>
> Now that covers posting with type.
>
> And I see you have a problem with me posting without type.
>
> FUCK OFF!!!
>
> I think it about covers it.
>
> Go home to mommy and just FUCK OFF.
>
> Thanks
>
> Charlie

It's called decaf man, you should give it a try, along with
anger-management counseling and LOTS of medication.

--
Happy Trails!

-Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:52:18 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:56:35
GMT;

>"Niels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:98539a$efr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >You left off, respectively:
>> >Not worth hacking, never worked hard, no one would notice.
>>
>> Let me tell you that for some people every *nix box is worth hacking, cause
>> they run major
>> DDoS networks with over 1000 or maybe even more r00t3d boXes to play around
>> with...
>>
>> These guys wont leave any unsecure box around, i know of some UK cracker
>> group that seems to have scanned and rooted thousands of unsecure wuftpd
>> boxes, and DDoS irc servers with it...
>>
>> So maybe owners wont notice but other people do..!
>>
>> Talk, Listen, Think and talk again =)
>
>I've always maintained that Linux must have an EZ-HACK feature, judging
>by the ease in which "hackers" compromised entire university computer
>labs for their DDoS assault on Ebay, Amazon, Microsoft and several
>others last summer. It was reported that a large majority of the
>machines used in the attack were compromised Linux boxes.

Chad is correct, as always.  Linux has several EZ-HACK features, in
fact.

*   INTERCONNECTIVITY - Being a Unix varient, Linux is built from the
ground up with network connectivity as an inherent part of the OS.  In
contrast, Microsoft has a crappy IP stack and a pathetic web browser
bolted on.

*   INTEROPERABILITY - World-class, industry-standard ability to provide
services and connectivity for any system, regardless of whether it is a
compliant IP system or a piece of Microsoft shit.  Many of the servers
are even open source, to ensure that both people who need to connect and
people who want to connect can easily gain access.

*   COMPATIBILITY - The attacks possible on Linux are practically
identical in form, if not details (and often those, too, of course) with
any other Unix.  This makes it easy to attempt (and notoriously hard to
sustain) a variety of cracks.  Ebay and Amazon's incursions were
transient; Microsoft had to outsource their entire DNS system.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: 12 Mar 2001 03:06:49 GMT

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Correlation does not imply causation.
>
>However, Correlation which coresponds with reverse correlation
>usually does imply causation one way or the other.

Hmm, is there such thing as "reverse" correlation as
you say it? In other words, I thought correlation is
commuatative?

I'm pretty sure "reverse" correlation is used to refer
to negative correlation (r < 0) rather than in the
sense above.

--
The artist's only responsibility is to his art. He will be completely
ruthless if he is a good one...If a writer has to rob his mother, he