From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I have a soft spot now and then :)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:20:19 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "The Ghost
In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 22 May 2001 14:25:32 +0100

>>> I like your Psycho Rat one better :)
>>
>>Have you tried printing it yet?
>>
>>Put
>>
>>%!PS-Adobe-2.0
>>
>>as the first line, then print it on your nearest PS printer, or using
>>Ghostscript.
>
> Rangecheck in roll, here.
>
> (A pity.  I like cool hacks.  Yes, I cut and paste it accurately,
> after widening my xterm to >80 characters.)
>
> [.sigsnip]

You didn't copy the bracketed text at the top of the sig. I managed to
make it so it is both a program and partle readable.

Also, the old version didn't work if you pasted it to GS---you had to run
it as a file. Now it works properly.

Also, the sig is exactly 80 chars wide, is it not?

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Warning to new users of Windows XP
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:31:08 +0200

"Zsolt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, 23 May 2001 16:39:50 GMT
presented us with the wisdom:

> > That's the beta, I said the gold copy. You can legally buy the beta
> > (ain't that a trip!) for $10.00 or so.
> >
> This is shame! You have to _PAY_ them for beta testing their software !?!?
> They should be paying you to put up with their garbage and do testing for
them!

Apple did the same, you know.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:32:56 +0200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ell0h$f0j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9el13o$cho$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
> <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9ek4ai$k62$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Then install drivers, applications, etc etc.
> >
> > He didn't format first, he reinstall on top of existing install.
>
> Doesn't it require you to reinstall all drivers etc because it trashes
> the old registry?

It doesn't thrashes the old registry, and it doesn't require reinstall of
the drivers.

> Even so, I'm suprised he figured out that reinstalling the OS would work,
> and went through the process, when he couldn't figure out how to get rid
> of the sidebar.

Morons learn just enough so they can be *good* morons.

------------------------------

From: "Investigator" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win 9x is horrid
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:33:56 -0400

The PC for free has long been used to hook Mr. Undiscriminating to a
marketplace.

You've seen those "Buy [this disgusting internet service](, for 3 years,)
and your (bottom-of-the-line) [undesirable brand] computer purchase will be
rebated" advertisements. I think several online services were/are doing that
too. Now, I know Internet connectivity is not "software", per se, but there
is no difference between service and software when it comes time to paint
their surface areas.

Don't misunderstand... Systems are bundled to market in whatever models are
most saleable. The truth told is this: what the public is most willing to
purchase is what will do best on the shelves.Do you buy a car or the
braking, fuel injection, and electronic spark advance systems' algorithms?
On the other hand... would you pay one half-day salary for non-working
cell-phone hardware or one half-week salary for a year of services on that
phone?

    _/_/_/    _/_/_/  _/    _/
   _/   _/  _/    _/ _/    _/             Woody
  _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/         He, who never tries,
 _/   _/  _/    _/ _/_/_/_/                  never fails.
_/    _/ _/    _/  _/  _/

>From various contributors to the "Win 9x is horrid" thread:
[snip]
> >: >In a few years people aren't going to care what OS is installed;
> >: >they'll all come with every basic tool you need (internet,
> >: >word processor, spreadsheet, audio/video tools, etc.).
[snip]
> >: >the real money will be made on hardware.
[snip]
> >: Hardware, whether it's a cell phone, a satellite receiver, or a
> >: computer, is something that is GIVEN AWAY
[snip]
> >Show me where I can get a free computer if I buy windows.
[snip]
> a FREE PC if you watched their silly
[snip]

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:36:04 -0500

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ek5j3$kov$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> OTOH, Netscape 4.7x crashes regularly and now, I can't even get it to
> >> start up, it just core dumps.
> >
> > Hmm.. it's rock solid for me.
>
> Same here.

You guys must be doing something magical. I've installed this box
twice now and both times Netscape has deteriorated to the point where
it won't work. Usually after 12-14 uses.

> >> Netscape 6 requires practically reinstalling the OS, but it seems to
> >> fair a little better. Of course it's a usability and functionality
> >> nightmare and the news reader is a complete pile of ****.
>
> If windows makes you nearly reinstall the OS to put on NS, it myst be
> realy shitty.

No, I'm talking about Solaris! I had to install over 50 patches
which is what I meant by "practically reinstalling the OS".

> Under Linux, you just untar it and it works perfectly.

Yes, I've had this same experience.

> I've also found the recent Mozilla builds rather better, so its probably worth
> going with them instead.

I haven't had much luck with Mozilla builds in general =(

> >> Again, NS 6 seems better in this regards, but only if you manage to
> >> install it without hosing your OS.
> >
> > Which is simple since it's difficult to actually hose solaris.. unless
> > one wants to deliberately.
>
> The best way is probably to creat an `install software' user, and always
> install as him, but making the software world readable. That way you can
> guarntee that it will never do anything nasty.

-c

------------------------------

From: Zsolt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:36:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 25 May 2001 02:50:39 GMT presented us with
the wisdom:

> Linux will ALWAYS be behind in drivers because the manufacturers write
> for the OS that makes money for them first and then, and that is still
> a maybe, they MIGHT get around to writing a Linux version.

Oh, I'm so glad to read this!
Would you care to explain that to my Samsung ML-4600 laser printer, please!?
Because, it came with a manufacturer-written linux driver, which was written
for RedHat 6.x, but works perfectly with Mandrake 7.2 as well. On the other
hand, it has Windows 95,, 98 and NT drivers (built by the manufacturer),
but _NONE_ of them works with Windows 2000 Professional. And when I say
does not work, I did not mean exreme features, like
<sarcasm> pull back the printed paper, fold it in 4, insert back in 45
degree slant and print on the edge of the paper </sarcasm>
What I mean is, that it simply does not print, period.
Neither Microsoft nor Samsung web sites offered any usable drivers eaither.
So, as a final solution I had to replace it (I mean the OS) with a more capable one.

> Bullshit!!!
>
> Linux didn't get Twinhead support till recently. Windows had it all
> along!!

Recently ???
Metro-X had dual head support in 1997.  I can send you a copy of their original
distribution floppy with date stamp on it if you pay for P&P.

Of course, when you worship an OS, which comes out with 30 year old solutions
as "new features", then your time-perpective is a little different, I understand.
(I'm refering to the 'group' permissions on files in XP and switching users on the
same desktop without logout/login, not to mention the version number in DLL names).

Zsolt

Zsolt

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:38:19 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>> Spot the basement-dwelling, Win98 using, outed idiot.
>
>you keep telling yourself that.

Well, the only think I'm 100% sure of is the "outed idiot" part.

OUTED!  LOL!

>Rule #1: never underestimate your opponent.

Why not?

>This, Chris, is why you lose.

Why do you lose?

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:41:17 -0500

"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9el3ul$jks$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Chad Myers wrote in message
> <9OhP6.24873$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >
> >What's even more hilarious about it, is even The Register (known for
> fabricating
> >news on-demand and editorializing in reports and passing them as facts)
>

> Have you any concrete examples of that?

Pick just about any article with Microsoft in it. They editorialize
right in the body of the story.

Here's one for today:

The very first sentence is an editorial comment
"Further evidence of Microsoft's uncanny..."

That's an "opinion".

Then, the last 2 sentences:

"and she wants to give Bill a piece of her mind. Go on Bill, call her... "

> >has yet to come up with even one concrete example where SP2 has had
> problems.
> >The last report I saw, where they were trying their hardest, they could
> only
> >come up with a "few" users having problems "some of the time" with
> hibernation
> >on laptops. I have a crappy Dell PoS laptop and even it hummed along with
> >SP2 just fine, including about 20+ hibernations in the past 3-4 days due
> >to flight-hopping and such.
> >

> The Register reports what it learns.  Some readers have reported problems
> with SP2, and it passes them on.

It digs and digs to find one example, then sensationalizes it to make it
seem like SP2 is a complete failure, DOA and everyone is having problems with
it. It's classic Register style. Start out with a sensationalistic headline,
talk about how bad the problem is, then, in the middle of the article,
reveal that it was only like 2 people.

-c

------------------------------

From: "You've got MALE.. sex organs!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:48:13 -0600

But he (and thousands of others), recognized Aaron for the phoney he
is..

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: errunt r kookla threatens lawsuit - oh my ribs!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:45:50 GMT

Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It's kind of hard for Aaron to find the type of woman of his caliber and
>intellect in the area where he lives.  After all, there are no trailer
>parks, ghettos, or projects in his area.

How about bowling alleys?

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:48:53 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>When you're as smart as I am, there is no need.

If you were so smart, you wouldn't be so afraid to admit that
sometimes you don't know.  The more educated a person gets, the more
he/she realizes that there' many thing they don't know.  They are not
afraid to admit that they sometimes are wrong.

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time to bitc__ again
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:52:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>On Fri, 25 May 2001 03:58:56 +0100, Steve Campbell
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I dont normally use this kind of tone but
>>would you PLEASE fuck off back to windows and give our heads peace. (
>>flatfish mrore than daniel)
>

>Huhh?
>
>What a convoluted mess of a reply....
>
>Have you been drinking?

You would to, if you had to fight with Linux every day.  Keep posting
flatfish!

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:00:07 +0100

>> > He didn't format first, he reinstall on top of existing install.
>>
>> Doesn't it require you to reinstall all drivers etc because it trashes
>> the old registry?
>
> It doesn't thrashes the old registry, and it doesn't require reinstall
> of the drivers.

I didn't know that.

>> Even so, I'm suprised he figured out that reinstalling the OS would
>> work, and went through the process, when he couldn't figure out how to
>> get rid of the sidebar.
>
> Morons learn just enough so they can be *good* morons.

:-)

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:02:52 +0100

>> > Hmm.. it's rock solid for me.
>>
>> Same here.
>
> You guys must be doing something magical. I've installed this box twice
> now and both times Netscape has deteriorated to the point where it won't
> work. Usually after 12-14 uses.

This is really odd.

If you delete ~/.netscape, it should restore it, since a user running
netscape can't alter any of the default configuration stuff. Mabey its
making you go over quota?

>> If windows makes you nearly reinstall the OS to put on NS, it myst be
>> realy shitty.
>
> No, I'm talking about Solaris! I had to install over 50 patches which is
> what I meant by "practically reinstalling the OS".

Odd.

>> Under Linux, you just untar it and it works perfectly.
>
> Yes, I've had this same experience.
>
>> I've also found the recent Mozilla builds rather better, so its
>> probably worth going with them instead.
>
> I haven't had much luck with Mozilla builds in general =(

Try some of the recent ones. Its beginning ot be a decent speed, now.
Almost OK on a P133.

-Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The nature of competition
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:05:20 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 21:18:47 -0700, "Paolo Ciambotti"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I had a really snappy ad hominem reply composed, and decided that it would
>only reflect poorly on me.  So I'm going to suspend belief for a moment,
>and take you at your word.  If what you've posted is true, then you're my
>age or older.  And I'm going to retirement and living trust and estate
>planning seminars at work.

I am 41 years old and I didn't mean to insult you I was just trying to
say that a lot of people have experience as well.

>I'm posting from a RedHat 7.0 system that my wife, a clerk-typist,
>installed.  I had her try to do it just for the heck of it.  She
>encountered only one problem, with XFree86, and she figured it out on her
>own.  I haven't done any cleanup since then.  Heck, she even installed it
>over a different distribution and didn't lose any of her old files.

Ok.
Installing Mandrake on an entire blank hard disk is a matter of
pressing enter a couple of times. Easier than Windows in fact.

>Which brings me to question number one.  If you're so experienced, how
>come you can't install an operating system that even a complete newbie
>has no real problem installing?

I never had any trouble installing it.
That's the easy part.
It's using it that is painful and to be honest reading reams of doc to
use what I consider hostile and inferior programs (browsing, news
reading, multimedia) is a waste of time.

>And question number two has to be, of course, why all the aliases?  I've
>never posted under any other name than the one in this header.  Most
>people here haven't.  But you keep popping up with what would appear to
>the newbie lurker as original stories of Linux failures under dozens of
>different names?  Why?  What do you hope to gain by posting the same tale
>of woe over and over again under numerous aliases?

One step ahead of the spammers and yo-yo's that lurk here. I wouldn't
use my own name ever. I just feel it serves no point. BTW all of those
aliases aren't me, but I let Terry have his fun.

>And assuming that you're my age or older, what is with this juvenile
>"Windows ROCKS and Linux sucks" style of posting?  I'd expect that from a
>sixteen-year-old, not from someone who knows where every wire in a 370/168
>goes.  Actually, I'd be disappointed in a sixteen-year-old if they did
>that.

Agreed. That was a stupid post.
>I'd really like to know what's motivating you to be so deceitful and
>disingenuous.  I had hardware compatibility problems with WinNT 3.51 five
>years ago, but I don't keep posting the same damn complaint over and over
>and over and over in a Windows newsgroup five years later.

Terry does. He keeps talking about 1995 like it was yesterday.

It's an advocacy group. Take notice that I rarely if ever say anything
about Linux as a server OS because I believe it is a good choice for
that application.
>Just once, why don't you be completely honest and level with us?  Did you
>sink all your retirement into MSFT?  I mean, what's motivating you?  We
>all know it's not really the software anymore, it's something else.

Ha ha!
I don't own any stocks at all.
 Zippo.

I believe we (America) are headed for a huge depression and quite
possibly the end of the world as we know it and while I am certainly
no religious nutcase I believe the end times are upon us.

I also despise MSFT and their dirty tactics but they make the OS that
I need to run my programs so I am stuck at the moment. Only other
program of MS I own is Flight Simulator and that was a gift.

>I shoulda stayed with the ad hominem reply, it was funnier.

flatfish++++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:08:57 GMT

On Fri, 25 May 2001 00:41:29 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Compare this to Mandrakes update CD which destroyed a perfectly
>> working system....
>>

>What did you do wrong?

First mistake was opening the mailer the CD came in.
Second mistake was booting Mandrake 7.2.
Third mistake was putting the CD in the drive.
Fourth mistake was su'ing to root.
Fifth mistake was selecting LiveUpdate.
Sixth mistake was giving it the ok to trash my system.

I made lot's of mistakes.