  Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary? ("Stephen S. Edwards II")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Leninist USEFUL IDIOT denies reality, attempts a smear campaign
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 01:47:21 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Loren Petrich wrote:
>
> >Let's see...who is more credible:
> >A: A person who sits back and gobbles up the propaganda, like yourself
> >or
> >B: A person who does the research, and visits places himself, like me
>
>         Reversing the two would be more plausible.
>
> >>         The birch trees I have in mind are John Birch trees :-)
> >Demonstrating once again that you admit that you are unable to
> >even compete in this argument without resorting to slander.
>
>         Are you unable to laugh at yourself?

Merely noting that your only way to counter my observations of
historical
fact is to dismiss them as fairy tales.

Tell me, was it a fairy tale when Stalin had 30,000,000 people murdered?

> >Belorus is TIGHTLY allied with Russia, and they have been negotiating
> >UNIFICATIONS.
>
>         Belarus maybe, but the Ukraine?

When did I ever alledge that Ukraine is allied with Russia.

You, on the other hand, tried to sell your bullshit that Belorus is
going off in their own direction.  In fact, Belorus is one place where
I specifically AVOID because absolutely NOTHING has changed there.

> >>         Communist university administrators? Mr. Kulkis, you've been
> >> living in groves of birch trees for too long.
> >Demonstrating once again that you admit that you are unable to
> >even compete in this argument without resorting to slander.
>
>         Same to you, with your accusations of Communism.
>
> >Explain why they impose Leftist speech codes on our campuses.
>
>         Like what do you mean?

The ones that keep getting struck down by the US Supreme Court.

University of Michigan
University of California at Berkely
University of Minnesota

etc.

> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: From a Grove of Birch Trees It Came...
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 01:48:28 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Loren Petrich wrote:
>
> >>         The birch trees I have in mind are John Birch trees :-)
> >Are you implying that there is a birchy-man hiding under our collective
> >beds?
>
> No, that your views are childish, Red-under-the-bed conspiracy theories.

Why did the Chinese Communists contribute over $3,000,000 to the
Democrats?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John S. Dyson)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Date: 23 Jul 2000 05:13:21 GMT

In article <8ldqp0$2qr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich) writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Loren Petrich wrote:
>
>>>         The birch trees I have in mind are John Birch trees :-)
>>Are you implying that there is a birchy-man hiding under our collective
>>beds?
>
>       No, that your views are childish, Red-under-the-bed conspiracy theories.

If someone is a communist, then they should be proud of it...  That doesn't
mean that everyone will agree with that person's philosophy (I certainly
don't.)  When someone has strong self-doubt, and won't admit to their
beliefs, then at least one of their problems is within themselves.

People whom I have known and are communists are most fun to discuss
issues with when they are honest about their beliefs.  Alot of the
bad feelings that occur in discussion is when one side or another
isn't being forthright, and people don't say what they really mean
or believe.

John

------------------------------

From: "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Failure of the USS Yorktown
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:08:31 -0700

Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:rGre5.8313$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:Ct1e5.124187$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:B31e5.3256$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Adam:
> > >
> > > I wonder - has ANY naval ship EVER had ANY malfuction of a computer
> system
> > > that was running an OS other than Windows that caused it to have an
> > > equivelent type of failure (not necessarily "lost control of it's
> > propulsion
> > > system" but equal in criticality).
> > >
> > > Considering the US and Soviet militaries rely far more on the Unix
> > operating
> > > system than any other OS - does anyone suggest that Unix has NEVER
EVER
> > > failed not a single time to crash and take the system down around it?
> >
> > Until this thread, I never thought the military used conventional PCs,
> > especially at sea. I wonder, with nuclear powered ships, how the effect
of
> > radiation would have on a computer's processor.
> >

> > > Because this is one incident. True or not. It's one. Just one. Of a
> > version
> > > of NT that has since been patched and wholesale upgraded. We know the
> navy
> > > continues to use NT and to date not a single other malfunction has
> occured
> > > (and been reported as this one has so often been) related to NT or
> > Windows.
> >
> > You know, if we were talking about a web server crashing or an office
work
> > station crashing, one incident wouldn't matter much. But in this
> situation,
> > one insident is far too much.
> >
> > But I would wonder, how often does the military use conventional PCs
and,
> if
> > so, what OSs do they use?
> >

> > > So, does Unix share this success record? A SINGLE failure *during
> testing*
> >
> > Dude, all computers crash.
> >

> that was the point I was trying to make! I think you missed my sarcasm :)

/me slaps himself.

Best Regards,
Kevin Holmes
"extrasolar"

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.fan.bill-gates,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: If Microsoft starts renting apts (was: If Microsoft starts
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:34:40 -0400

"Clell A. Harmon" wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:10:00 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.fan.bill-gates;

> >>    [...]
> >>
> >> Hilarious!  Where'd it come from?
> >
> >I wrote it.
>
>           No, really.

Do I have to post a damn copyright notice?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The real faux paus of the U.S. military... (was Re: The Failure of the
USS Yorktown)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:41:30 -0400

Gary Hallock wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>2 + 2 wrote:
>
>> The first space shuttle went up with 6 redundant IBM computers that were
>> several generations outdated, due to government contracting leadtimes.
>>
>> An astronaut had a laptop with him that was immensely superior to the IBM
>> computers.
>>

>Are you sure about that?   The first shuttle was launched in April 1981.
Did
>laptops exist back then?

You may be right. It may have been a later flight regarding the laptop. The
laptop story was widely reported.

2 + 2

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:42:05 -0400

"John S. Dyson" wrote:

> In article <8ldqp0$2qr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich) writes:
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>Are you implying that there is a birchy-man hiding under our collective
> >>beds?
> >
> >       No, that your views are childish, Red-under-the-bed conspiracy theories.
> >
> If someone is a communist, then they should be proud of it...  That doesn't
> mean that everyone will agree with that person's philosophy (I certainly
> don't.)  When someone has strong self-doubt, and won't admit to their
> beliefs, then at least one of their problems is within themselves.
>
> People whom I have known and are communists are most fun to discuss
> issues with when they are honest about their beliefs.  Alot of the
> bad feelings that occur in discussion is when one side or another
> isn't being forthright, and people don't say what they really mean
> or believe.

Petrich is the classic crypto-commie.

> John

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tinman digest, volume 2451736 (Tholen)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 06:43:58 GMT

Slava Pestov wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Slava Pestov wrote:

> >> Jumping into discussion again, eh Marty?
> >
> > Not at all, Slava.
>
> Denials don't change the truth, Marty.

Nor does pontification.

> > Meanwhile I see
>
> You see incorrectly.

Yet another example of your pontification.

> Open your eyes, Marty.

Impossible.

> > you have failed to note the
> > difference between an implication and an inference.
>
> On the contrary.

Yet another example of your pontification.

> > No surprise there.
>
> See above.

Above still holds no surprise for me.  Even moreso this time around as I have
read it already.

------------------------------

From: "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
USS Yorktown)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:56:37 -0400

Steve wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Facts are correct, but the missions are a little
>mixed up.
>
>The Apollo series had seriously outdated computers
>due to the fact that they wanted to be able to
>component repair any failing item down to the last
>transistor. IBM SMS technology allowed that. IBM
>MST technology did not, hence the semi IBM
>360/quasi 370 computers that were used for the
>later Apollo missions. These were conglomerations
>of IBM 's standard computers tweaked for NASA.

Sounds very self serving. That's like saying it's better to replace pieces
of a CPU down to the last diodes, rather than the whole CPU.

Due to the size difference, a larger number of replacements could be
carried.

With your line of reasoning, the only logical conclusion is that the shuttle
should have waited until a Univac or whatever could be carried up there.  :)

Surely there was plenty of experience with computer components in space by
the time of the shuttle.

It's like this ship issue. Clusters are clearly part of the answer where
there is a "shared nothing" architecture with the backup effort being put in
alternate apps or training to ensure a problem-causing event is not
repeated.

>Space shuttles didn't get laptops until the mid
>1990's as far as I know. The puters' were still
>somewhat component repairable. The laptops were
>for data collection and not for running th
>shuttle.

As I dimly recall, an astronaut may have carried up an unofficial laptop
earlier, before the government procurement timeline SPRANG INTO ACTION, so
to speak, heh heh.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
Date: 23 Jul 2000 06:58:50 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: John Hall wrote:
: >
: > "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: > news:LlId5.36590$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: >
: > > > No, I mean it's a simple language, good for simple jobs. Not for large
: > > scale
: > > > complex jobs, or jobs with specific hardware interface requirements.
: > > >
: > >
: > >
: > > Can you be more specific? In what way is VB failing on a large scale that
: > is
: > > not revealed to us "little scale" programmers who are having no trouble
: > > using VB for most anything.
: >
: > VB has very poor error handling (well certainly the versions I've used)  -
: > it makes it very difficult to write large-scale, robust applciations.
: >

: The problem is fools like DB who have a trade-school education,
: yet think they're in posession of PhD level knowledge.

The problem is also often people who think that simply because they are
experts on one platform, assume that they are experts on others...

*ahem*  [Stephen waits for "Mr. long-assed .signature to realize who he's
         talking about...]
--
.-----.
|[ ]  |  Stephen Edwards | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount
| =  :| "I'm too polite to use that word, so I'll just say,
|     |  'bite me, you baboon-faced ass-scratcher.'"
|_..._|                     --SEGA's Seaman on the "F" word.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary?
Date: 23 Jul 2000 06:59:53 GMT

Robert Moir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:8l9tuv$6r7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

: > Such as?  Do you mean running as a service, or otherwise?  As we all know,
: > Windows NT doesn't do multiuser at the desktop (multiple interactive
: > sessions) unless you're using Terminal Server.  How does that executable
: run
: > from the server?

: Not much point asking him that. If you follow the few posts I've had with
: him, he doesn't know the difference between an application and a server. Its
: all making sense now.... Mikey, are you the Captain of the USS Yorktown?

ROTFLMAO!@#
--
.-----.