  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Terry Porter)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 03:24:08 -0400

Rotten168 wrote:

> drsquare wrote:

> > >Did the geniuses who made your track ball build it with X in mind??
> > >
> > >Bearing in mind X was there first, the trackball makers seem to be at
> > >fault.
> >
> > Never mind that you can press the left and right buttons at the same
> > tiem for the same effect...
>
> No... that's what's unwieldy about it, pressing both the left and right
> buttons is too annoying to be used in a practical sense.
>
> This whole thing is just another way Linux is failing on the desktop.

Considering that X predates the Logitech trackball by a full decade,
I suggest you ask Logitech why they are selling a trackball that is
incompatible with X.

> --
> - Brent
>
> "General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
> - Darth Vader
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bill Gates on CNBC In Depth tonight - how come no mention of Linux?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:28:17 -0600
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Anonymous"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bill Gates on CNBC In Depth tonight - how come no mention of Linux?
> What happened?
> Not even the press mentioned Linux!
> Has Linux fallen off the radar screen again?
>   --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
>      Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
>     -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

Hmm.  Ballmer thinks Linux is the number one threat.  Allchin thinks the
GPL is un-American.  Mundie turns in desperation to a 60 year old quote
from mathematician/philosopher Alfred North Whitehead to argue against
open source.  Let's see.  Do you think Linux on Gates' radar screen?

Gates is well known to be a pansy about interviews.  He contacted
Wired last year,  and offered to give an interview,  but insisted that it
be conducted within an hour so the interviewer could not seriously
prepare.  On one occasion,  he jumped over a chair and ran off the
set during a televised interview with Connie Chung,  because she
asked a question he didn't like.

I'm sure he told CNBC that any mention of Linux was forbidden,
lest he have to run off the set holding his wiener.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 03:29:37 -0400

Michael Vester wrote:

> David Fox wrote:
> >
> > Ben Franchuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > Ha! I bet all users have had to re-install windows at least
> > > once or fight the system installing new hardware or software.
> >
> > Unfortunately, they usually fail and call me for help.
>
> I find myself in the same situation. Despite my pro Linux stance and lack
> of any respect for losedos, my friends and relatives call me for help.
> Many times, the solution is a reinstall or even a format and reinstall. I
> have done more losedos installs than I can remember. I should get an

Maybe you should install RedHat instead

"Say...what if I could get you out of this mess...FOREVER.
I'll give you something that you can play around with for a week.
And if you like it, you can upgrade off the net for FREE..FOREVER."

> honorary MSCE.  My Linux advocacy is starting to pay off. My father is now
> a very happy Red Hat Linux user. I can easily support him with ssh.
>
> --
> Michael Vester
> A credible Linux advocate
>
> "The avalanche has started, it is
> too late for the pebbles to vote"
> Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum:
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:30:03 +0100

> Routinely.  (I'm doing this from memory, but this is close.)
>
> +------------------------------------------------+
> +------------------------------------------------+
> | Your program has crashed.  Press OK to         |
> | terminate the program, CANCEL to debug.        |
> |                                                |
> |     [OK]                          [CANCEL]     |
> +------------------------------------------------+
>
> Would it be too much to ask for them to put "Debug",
> "Kill" (or "Terminate"), and "Wait" in there, instead
> of OK and CANCEL??!
>
> Sheesh.
>
> Of course, in this case, it's not the user whose intelligence is in
> question.

OK, I'll agree that this is fairly cryptic (and NOT ok), but IIRC, the
debug button only arrives if you have VC++ installed.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:31:12 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Terry Porter"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2001 19:46:22 GMT,
>  Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>
>>> Pete, you've become a stuck record, alternating between asking for
>>> info previously supplied, and accusing me of being a liar.
>>>
>>> Get a grip.
>>
>> You get a grip. Post an example or SHUT UP!
>
> I have, you ignored it, and this is what happens.

Which one?

It would be useful if you could post one/send it to me since I don't have
the time to find one myself to get Pete to shut up.

-Ed

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 03:32:08 -0400

Donn Miller wrote:

> Stuart Fox wrote:
>
> > Windows 2K maps CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to task manager which lets you blow any app
> > out of the water.  How is that harder?
>
> It doesn't "blow any app out of the water", does it?  All the task
> manager does is send the equivalent of kill -TERM, which sends a signal
> to the app requesting its termination.  It's still not like most unix
> systems, where you can opt to send a kill -9 (-KILL) telling to app to
> terminate IMMEDIATELY.  Of course, I think what the Windows Task Manager
> does is send the Windows equiv. of kill -TERM, and if the app doesn't
> die within XXX seconds, it opens a dialog box stating that "this app
> isn't responding.  What would you like to do?"  And if you select "End
> task", it sends the Windows equivalent of of kill -KILL, which means
> "kill, dammit, and I mean it!"

Isn't it sooooooo nice of Microsoft to make so many operating systems
that make you FIGHT with the goddamned system.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does XP stands for ???
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:38:44 +1000

> The way some corporate idiots think about Windows,
> you'd think it meant extra pussy.

Does MS claim it makes porn I mean the Net download/ work faster?

ROTFL =)

------------------------------

From: The Xebot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 00:47:25 -0700

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 02:54:03 -0400, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Stuart Fox wrote:
>
>> Windows 2K maps CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to task manager which lets you blow any app
>> out of the water.  How is that harder?
>
>It doesn't "blow any app out of the water", does it?  All the task
>manager does is send the equivalent of kill -TERM, which sends a signal
>to the app requesting its termination.  It's still not like most unix
>systems, where you can opt to send a kill -9 (-KILL) telling to app to
>terminate IMMEDIATELY.  Of course, I think what the Windows Task Manager
>does is send the Windows equiv. of kill -TERM, and if the app doesn't
>die within XXX seconds, it opens a dialog box stating that "this app
>isn't responding.  What would you like to do?"  And if you select "End
>task", it sends the Windows equivalent of of kill -KILL, which means
>"kill, dammit, and I mean it!"

Not so.  If you respond YES to that dialog box, Win2k/NT will kill the
process, period (via TerminateProcess), no signals -- no clean-up
either, which can leave your system in an "un-well" state, however.

Re:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winbase/prothred_1bg3.htm

Excerpt:

"The TerminateProcess function is used to unconditionally cause a
process to exit. Use it only in extreme circumstances. The state of
global data maintained by dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) may be
compromised if TerminateProcess is used rather than ExitProcess. "

FYI, in Windows XP beta 2 professional, ctrl-alt-del brings up the
Task Manager, which now has options to Shutdown/Restart/Logoff the
computer.

WinXP has oodles of UI productivity enhancements.  Yes, it even has
stuff not stolen from Mac OS X (which I also use).

I also run RedHat 7.1, which is why I'm in this NG.  However, I'm
still too lazy to get my Maxtrox G400 running in dual-head mode under
Linux.  Why can't that be easier?

--
Please see my high-tech, satire column "Michael Paluka"
(the Xebot) at:

   This seems to have reduced my spam. Maybe if everyone does it we

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM to let Linux fans use mainframe--for free
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 09:01:06 +0200

drsquare wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2001 20:19:46 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> Defeat in what?
>>
>>in the debate.
>
> Debating how much of an idiot you are?

There is no debate of that. Itīs a fact that he is an idiot.
So, simply killfiling him just saves a lot of bandwidth and the BS that
Aaron is spewing. He should stop thinking with his ass and grow at
least half a brain.

Peter

--
The last good thing written in C was Schubert's Symphony No. 9.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 01 Jun 2001 07:51:13 GMT

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:31:12 +0100, Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Terry Porter"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 31 May 2001 19:46:22 GMT,
>>  Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>> You get a grip. Post an example or SHUT UP!
>>
>> I have, you ignored it, and this is what happens.
>
> Which one?
>
> It would be useful if you could post one/send it to me since I don't have
> the time to find one myself to get Pete to shut up.

It was a while ago Ed, and I'm tired of Pete's tirades.
I'm happy to just leave it and debate with more reasonable posters.

--
Kind Regards
Terry