From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: So ya' wanna' run Linux?...I have a bridge for sale in Bklyn.....
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 05:35:09 GMT

Typical Linux...And they (the Linonuts) wonder why virtually nobody
who is a desktop user is migrating to Linux...

Sure, throw out your WinModem.
Throw out your Win Printer.
Throw out your Win Scanner.
Use half the features of your soundcard.
Use half the features of your video card.
Spend days configuring a firewall.
Run a text browser.
TTF and anti-aliased fonts? What are they? Ruin your eyes.
Run 5 different programs to read mail/news offline.
Spend days setting up an internet connection sharing system.
Get your ISP pissed at you when you mention Linux.

Right..............

No wonder Linux has been a dismal failure in it's lame attempt to
challenge Windows or Mac for the desktop market.

Linux isn't even a HAS been, because it HAS been nowhere and that is
where it will stay...

A wet dream in the minds of the geeks...

Hopefully you didn't waste half a day trying to install that video
card?

Claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen S. Edwards II)
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: 15 Aug 2000 05:35:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8na833$ma$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Stephen S. Edwards II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8na24m$akh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8n98oj$h71$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> >How is that cheating?
>>
>> FVWM is a small-sized wm, which doesn't nearly have
>> the amount of functionality that EXPLORER.EXE has.
>>
>> Hence, your RAM comparison is very biased.  :-)
>
>What is FVWM missing that explorer.exe provides for a working environment?

There are several things that EXPLORER.EXE does that
FVWM does not.  Of course, FVWM and EXPLORER.EXE were
designed at different times, and are different
interfaces, altogether, both with different philosophies
behind them, so my listing of things that EXPLORER.EXE
has/does would be pointless, as they are apples and
oranges in that respect.

We were originally discussing the GDI, and how it combined
with EXPLORER.EXE doesn't use up any more RAM than X with
a _comparable_ window manager.  In some cases, X/wm uses far
more RAM than WindowsNT's GDI/EXPLORER interface.

It's about how much RAM it takes to run these two things.
I'm talking about code sizes here.  Sure FVWM takes less
RAM... because it's smaller than EXPLORER.EXE.  It's smaller,
because EXPLORER.EXE has a lot more "stuff" in it.

Hence, of course your X/FVWM session will be lighter than
my EXPLORER.EXE session.

Hence, that is why we were ribbing you about "cheating".  ;-)

In order to properly compare the two, you'd need to run
a wm that is comparable in functionality to EXPLORER.EXE,
in order to see how much RAM X will take up to provide the
wm for the user.

Functionality not from a personal standpoint, but from
a "how much stuff is in it" standpoint.
--
.-----.
|[_]  |  Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount/
| =  :|  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|    -| "Even though you can't see the details, you can sense them.
|     |  And that is what makes great computer graphics."
|_..._|                      -- Robert Abel of Abel Image Research

------------------------------

From: "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.sys.intel,comp.os.windows.advocacy,comp.os.mac.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.area51
Subject: Re: Will MS kill off Compaq and Gateway?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:42:27 +1000

=======_NextPart_000_00C0_01C006CF.6A1C4B50

That would be their dream, yes. But I don't think they'd be stupid =
enough to attempt it so suddenly.
Plus the alternatives are looking better by the hour...(free =
registration required)
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/yr/08/biztech/articles/14linux.html

Dan

 ---
A quick script to eliminate ALL the bugs in Windows at once:

c:\> deltree c:\windows

  junekis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
  Here's a little speculation for you conspiracy buffs:=20
  Microsoft has been heard saying for the last couple of years that they =
are=20
  having trouble coming up with upgrades to Windows that are compelling =
enough=20
  to cause people to upgrade - so to protect their revenues, they may =
have to come=20
  up with a version that is "rented" instead of purchased - you will =
write a monthly=20
  check for, say, $30 to microsoft every month as your "software bill".=20

  In order to enforce this, obviously, the software would have to be =
server-centric,=20
  and you would have to kill off all those old desktop systems that are =
running perfectly=20
  well with Win 9X.=20

  First, MS starts saying that Windows is going to "evolve" into =
next-generation windows=20
  services, which won't reside on the PC, and will be internet-based.=20

  Then all of a sudden, here comes the X-BOX, reported to have a Pent =
III CPU, 64MB RAM,=20
  an 8 GB hard drive, and a high speed LAN card. MS "swears" that this =
is NOT a PC, and that=20
  they aren't out to compete with PC makers.=20

  That may be half true. What if the X-BOX is intended to be a client =
machine for MSN based=20
  server-centric next generation Windows?=20

  Given Microsofts  reputation for oft-times smothering its own =
children,=20
  if I were a PC maker, I would be investing in Linux BIG TIME, so that =
I would have=20
  something to sell  if and when  MS cancels sales of desktop windows in =
order to=20
  boost sales of the X-BOX!=20

  Then again, maybe only IBM and Dell will be smart enough to survive a=20
  great Microsoft Backstabbing!=20
   =20

--
++ email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |  sgi                               =
++

=======_NextPart_000_00C0_01C006CF.6A1C4B50

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That would be their dream,&nbsp;yes. =
But I don't=20
think they'd be stupid enough to attempt it so suddenly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Plus the alternatives are looking =
better by the=20
hour...(free registration required)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/yr/08/biztech/articles/14linu=
x.html">http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/yr/08/biztech/articles/14linu=
x.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dan</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;---<BR>A quick script to eliminate ALL the bugs in =
Windows at=20
once:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>c:\&gt; deltree c:\windows<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>junekis &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]=
y</A>...</DIV>Here's=20
  a little speculation for you conspiracy buffs:=20
  <P>Microsoft has been heard saying for the last couple of years that =
they are=20
  <BR>having trouble coming up with upgrades to Windows that are =
compelling=20
  enough <BR>to cause people to upgrade - so to protect their revenues, =
they may=20
  have to come <BR>up with a version that is "rented"&nbsp;instead of =
purchased=20
  - you will write a monthly <BR>check for, say, $30 to microsoft every =
month as=20
  your "software bill".=20
  <P>In order to enforce this, obviously, the software would have to be=20
  server-centric, <BR>and you would have to kill off all those old =
desktop=20
  systems that are running perfectly <BR>well with Win 9X.=20
  <P>First, MS starts saying that Windows is going to "evolve" into=20
  next-generation windows <BR>services, which won't reside on the PC, =
and will=20
  be internet-based.=20
  <P>Then all of a sudden, here comes the X-BOX, reported to have a Pent =
III=20
  CPU, 64MB RAM, <BR>an 8 GB hard drive, and a high speed LAN card. MS =
"swears"=20
  that this is NOT a PC, and that <BR>they aren't out to compete with=20
  PC&nbsp;makers.=20
  <P>That may be half true. What if the X-BOX is intended to be a client =
machine=20
  for MSN based <BR>server-centric next generation Windows?=20
  <P>Given Microsofts&nbsp; reputation for oft-times smothering its own=20
  children, <BR>if I were a PC maker, I would be investing in Linux BIG =
TIME, so=20
  that I would have <BR>something to sell&nbsp; if and when&nbsp; MS =
cancels=20
  sales of desktop windows in order to <BR>boost sales of the X-BOX!=20
  <P>Then again, maybe only IBM and Dell will be smart enough to survive =
a=20
  <BR>great Microsoft Backstabbing! <BR>&nbsp; <PRE>--
++ email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |&nbsp; =
sgi&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ++
++ John =
Unekis&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp; 11785 Beltsville =
Dr #1300&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ++
++ Customer =
Education&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp; |&nbsp; Beltsville, MD =
20705&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp; ++
++ Customer and Prof. Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp; tel# =
301.572.3141&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ++</PRE>&nbsp;=20
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

=======_NextPart_000_00C0_01C006CF.6A1C4B50==