From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft "INNOVATES" again!
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:51:40 -0600

"Lloyd Llewellyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:XaVb6.8138$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Microsoft has proved its superior INNOVATION skills once again by coming
out
> with a new, highly secret feature in Whistler!

And your lack of reading comprehension skills are proved, once again.

> This new exotic feature is a kind of "skin" or "theme" system that can
change
> the look and feel of the entire interface of the operating system!  Oh my
god,
> that is so revolutionary!  I can barely comprehend it!  I'll bet those
Linsux
> Lusers will be drooling over this!  They will have to admit defeat now!

Sorry, Whistler has always had a theming system.   The new shell is
something different, but includes the existing Whistler Theming support.

You can see screenshots here:

http://whistler.aptik.com/cgi-bin/gallery/gallery.cgi?Category=3

Pay close attention to this one, which shows theming in action:
http://whistler.aptik.com/cgi-bin/gallery/show.cgi?Pic=Screen004.gif&cat=3&p
age=1

You really should read what you're commenting about.

>From the article:

> One tester said Microsoft is changing the Whistler desktop interface by
> introducing some type of "extensible shell," or graphical user interface,
based
> on Microsoft .Net.

This is the real change, not the fact that it's themeable.

> Microsoft also is readying some type of new Windows desktop
> user theme, code-named Luna, as part of its revamp, according to several
> testers.

This is just a different theme for the already existing theme support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: The *BEST* advertising!
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:49:08 -0000

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:28:34 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>ono wrote:
>>
>> > It's pretty clear that flatfish is beside himself because Linux
>> > is threatening windows - why this should bother anyboy is not clear,
>> > unless they own ms stock, or getting paid to poison usenet forums.
>>
>> It bothers me because there are always 'managers' asking us why we build
>> industrial robots using w2k instead of linux.
>
>Pretty good question.
>
>Why are we paying so much for equipment that is built on an expensive,
>buggy, proprietary system when you could get better results using a
>free, stable, open system....
>

>>                                                Of course they heard that
>> linux is free and stable where w2k is too expensive and unreliable.
>
>All of which is true.
>

>> We mostly respond that it is theoretically possible but if they want to find
>> out, they have to hire new programmers.
>

>Translation: We're too lazy to replace our shit-head LoseDOS programmers
>       with people intelligent enough to invest their time learning
>       how to program reliable, efficient Unix/Linux systems.

        Besides, shouldn't something like this be relatively immune to
        vendorlock? First, it's not something that Microsoft has seemed
        to notice yet, so there shouldn't be an MSlib for it yet. I
        would expect that the task generally would be something that
        would have no particular dependencies to Win32.

        One wonders why they haven't been using SCO or Solaris.

        I would also expect that Unix is what all of the University
        trained robotics talent is used to.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: The Server Saga
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:50:56 -0000

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:22:34 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Which was probably your intention all along - then again, surely
>> you see it's questionable whether you ever actually installed Linux.
>
>Why would I lie about what I did? Why is it you guys immediately think

        You have an emotional motive to see Linux fail.

>someone is lying when they admit the like Windows? This sounds like
>dogma to me.

        No, just context.

        You are whining in a shill wasteland, not support central.

--

  > ...then there's that NSA version of Linux...

  This would explain the Mars polar lander problem.

                                        Kyle Jacobs, COLA

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: NT is Most Vulnerable Server Software
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:00:16 -0600

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:94os4d$cp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. It is clear you
> > have read a little but have not implemented any of it. Is it no
> > wonder that the teaching profession has such a bad name these days
> > especially in your neck of the woods. Try making your classes a bit
> > more practical. Then the teacher may learn something.
> >
> Perhaps you should look in some of the RFC's for T. Max Devlin.  A
> hint, you'll probably find his name in some of the SNMP ones...

Hmm.. which ones are those?  The name Devlin doesn't appear at all in the
index of RFC's at: http://rfc.net/rfc-index.html

Also, going through all the basic SNMP RFC's, his name doesn't appear
either.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Comparison: Installing W2K and Linux 2.4
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:58:17 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:30:59 GMT
<nUVb6.23233$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Daniel Tryba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:94nne6$dgg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Conrad Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > W2K:
>> > Insert CD into a CD ROM and turn on computer. It boots and begins to
>> > install. Enter your CD key, name and answer a few default prompts and
>> > shortly thereafter you have the a very massively feature packed OS with a
>> > familiar GUI up and running with all your hardware ready to rock.
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Only if you are used to Windows.
>
>Sit a brand new user down at Windows, and one at Linux.
>
>The Windows user will be productive in a matter of minutes, the Linux
>one? Well, try back in a few days.

Seconds, actually; doubleclick on Word, Wordpad, or Excel and he's off.

(Until it crashes, of course.)

As for Linux -- dunno.  It might depend on the IT department doing
their homework and determining which apps are needed on the user's
desktop; for large companies this is an option.

For small companies -- well, Debian looks a bit like an attic, but it
has lots of interesting junk.  :-)

So it's the old tradeoff -- "instant-on" and functionality
versus reliability, and the functionality is out there if
you know where to look and can live with discrepancies with the
rest of the monopolized world. :-)  (If you can't find it all in
four hours, you might as well get Win2k+Word.  1 hour = $100.
Note, however, that this doesn't apply if one's building a master
CD installation set; if one is managing an IT department with
10 people, one can take as long as a week (5 full days) to find
what is needed.  For a company of 500 people, one could take a
full year -- which is probably unrealistic. :-)  Of course,
Microsoft will give discounts on licenses anyway, so this analysis
is not strictly accurate.)

>-Chad

                    Use the source, Luke.
                    Microsoft.  When it absolutely, positively has to act weird.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft is fired.
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:07:37 -0600

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:94ps1t$oe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> And heres why:
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010124/wa_microso.html
>
> This is a copy of the press release that microsoft was nice enough to
remove
> from their website once enough people on slashdot made fun of it.
>
> Now, if microsoft's dns servers actually existed on different networks
> and utilized different gateways, etc (the way youre SUPPOSED to do it),
they
> wouldnt have all failed at once.

Hmm.. according to the press release, it was a configuration error.  Of
course they would all fail at once, since they were all updated at the same
time.  Being on different networks has nothing to do with it (you DO realize
that DNS servers talk to each other and exchange their data, right?)

> This is *very* basic networking knowledge.  I'm not at all surprised that
> no one at microsoft has any idea about how the rest of the world does IP
> networking; as quick perusal of the average MCSE study book shows beyond
> the shadow of a doubt that they have it all wrong.

I don't think you've even looked at an MCSE study book, since the official
MS study books actually say the things you claim they don't.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: I am preparing to teach a Linux class and I am soliciting advice
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:02:35 -0000

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:08:10 +0000, Eamon Skelton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The Staroffice word-processor is quite good but I think you must
>install the entire StarOffice suite.
>
>If you just want a simple word-processor with very few frills,
>try Abiword.

        Maxwell is also nice. However, I don't know if it's
        under active development anymore.

[deletia]

--

        Ease of use should be associated with things like "human engineering"
        and "use the right tool for the right job".  And of course,

                                Bobby Bryant - COLA
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why can't Microsoft keep their web servers up?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:10:08 -0600

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:94prm1$oe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Des Herriott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 25 Jan 2001 13:12:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >> Tell me, do you even understand why its bad to put all your domain
> >> servers on the same subnet?
>
> > Not that I'm normally a Microsoft advocate, but you really need to go
> > and read a book about CIDR.  Then go back & read Erik's post and try to
> > understand the point he's making, rather than conveniently ignore it.
>
> > Hint: those addresses are not necessarily on the same subnet.
>
> Except that in this particular case (the one which we're discussing, we
are
> not discussing TCP/IP for dummies, we are discussing why microsoft is full
> of a bunch of idiots) they WERE all on the same subnet.

We have only your insistance that this is the case.  Convenient, eh?  No
proof whatsoever.

> I understand that there will be a split on that group of IPs if you were
using
> a common /28.

Then please provide the proof that they are on the same subnet.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:13:16 -0600

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:94prgo$oe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:94p8ob$s02$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > IP's.
> >>
> >> Tell me, do you even understand why its bad to put all your domain
> >> servers on the same subnet?
>
> > So in other words, you have no idea what a netmask of .240 or /28 does.
>
> I do, erik, because I have practical experience.
>
> You however, do not.  You have alot of books though, im sure.

Then how come you're the one that insists they're on the same subnet,
despite no proof?

> > Thanks for confirming it.  (note a netmask of /28 spits 11 and 12 from
20
> > and 21 onto different subnets)
>
> Unless any one of a dozen other topology things is going on.

Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch.

Doesn't it seem odd to you that consecutively named DNS servers are
organized in a way to facilitiate routing to seperate subnets?  If they were
on the same subnet, they'd likely be consecutively numbered as well.

> Now, care to tell the class all about why having multiple dn servers on
the
> same subnet is a very, very bad idea?

Show the class your proof that they're on the same subnet.

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:11:02 -0600

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> I don't think you've even looked at an MCSE study book, since the official
> MS study books actually say the things you claim they don't.

Then perhaps the question is, have the people running the world's second most
visible Web site ever read the MCSE study book?

Microsoft comes out looking like a tribe of fools no matter how you spin it.

System crash? --> MS looks bad.
Hax0red? --> MS looks bad.
Clubie maintaining microsoft.com --> MS looks bad.

The one basic thing that MS has never understood, and probably never will, is
"professionalism".  You can see that everywhere, in both their products and
their services.  It isn't part of their corporate culture.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting first W2K server
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:13:05 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Forget that.  You'll be coming into work at all hours of the day, now.

MCSEs on a four-hour minimum for callouts say that's what they like best
about Windows shops.  Salaried employees, or employees that like to have a
life outside working hours, aren't nearly so fond of it.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:18:30 -0500

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> "." wrote:
>
> > Funny how microsoft sales droids dont like to talk to technical people.
>
> I should have also said in my other post ("not just Microsoft"), that if your
> company buys the wrong thing and it doesn't work as advertised, standard
> practice is to blame the technical staff for sabotaging it.
>
> I was in the political hot seat over this once.  The company made a really
> stupid purchasing decision, and the product absolutely would not work as
> promised.  Two people before me had tried to make it work, and failed, and
> were being accused of not wanting it to work.  When the hot potato fell into
> my lap, I followed the vendor's instructions and also discovered that it
> would not work as promised.  Not being one to play the fall guy, I ran a
> suite of systematic tests and plotted the results vs. parameter settings.
> When I plotted the a graph I got a sawtooth pattern that strongly suggested
> that some integer variable was wrapping around because it did not have enough
> bits.  That was enough to convince my boss to demand a conference call with
> the product's maintainer.  He was *really* annoyed to be bothered by a
> customer, and let slip that the system was experimental and was never
> intended to be used as the salesman had promised.

Which, of course, is grounds for a fraud suit.

> The fallout?  None at all.  Corporations are accustomed to letting lying
> salesmen make their decisions for them, and then ordering IT to "make it
> work".
>
> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:21:34 -0500

Conrad Rutherford wrote:

> OK, lesse...
>
> W2K:
> Insert CD into a CD ROM and turn on computer. It boots and begins to
> install. Enter your CD key, name and answer a few default prompts and
> shortly thereafter you have the a very massively feature packed OS with a
> familiar GUI up and running with all your hardware ready to rock. HTTP, FTP,
> Media Server, Journaling file system, DirectX hardware acceleration of every
> device, OpenGL running at the right refresh for that autodetected monitor
> and video card and the list goes on. Browser ready, wordpad ready,
> mediaplayer supporting pretty much every format (and others are a codec
> autodownload away), graphics editor and viewers, handicapped accessiblity,
> communications programs, telnet, ftp, massive network support - the list
> just goes on and you can just sit back and watch it load.
>
> ==========
>
> ok, now, how to do a BAREBONES Linux 2.4 install, no real apps, just command
> line crap:
> ==========

Ok, now, how to do a BAREBONES LoseDOS install, no real apps...

Answer: That's ALL you can do.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ramen worm/virus cracks NASA and others
Date: 25 Jan 2001 13:23:26 -0600

http://betanews.efront.com/article.php3?sid=980449212

Kaspersky Lab's is now reporting that the Linux-based virus 'Ramen' is now
"in the wild." The firm sent word around the net today that several Web
sites have now been defaced by the malicious code, enough to up its status
to "in the wild". Places affected by the bug include NASA, Texas A&M, and
Supermicro. As of right now, the worm only seems to be affecting Redhat 6.2
and 7.0 versions of Linux.
Using three known breachable security exploits in the operating system,
Ramen can penetrate the system and take over root access to execute its
payload.

One executive at Russia-based Kaspersky Labs told reporters "The discovery
of the Ramen worm 'in-the-wild' is a very significant moment in computer
history. Previously considered as an absolutely secured operating system,
Linux now has become yet another victim to computer malware."

Perhaps the most unsettling piece of this puzzle is that Redhat has known
about the problem for more than six months.

===============

It was only a matter of time - when linux started to be used by more than a
handful of hackers that eventually virus writers would turn their attention
there. It's wasn't worth writing a virus for linux before - who'd have
noticed or seen it?

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Datacenter Server does support the "five nines"
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:18:39 -0600

Adam Warner wrote:

> So there you go. Microsoft has now stated that at least one of its
> Datacenter Server offerings can be 99.999% reliable.

Actually, the article was a bad Bablefish translation.  What really happened
was that an employee at a big German firm suggested "upgrading" to Windows, and
his boss's anwer was -

    Nein, nein, nein, nein, nein!

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

p.s. - Casual thought... would 12.99999% also qualify as "five nines"
reliability?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:23:46 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Daniel Tryba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:94nne6$dgg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Conrad Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > W2K:
> > > Insert CD into a CD ROM and turn on computer. It boots and begins to
> > > install. Enter your CD key, name and answer a few default prompts and
> > > shortly thereafter you have the a very massively feature packed OS with a
> > > familiar GUI up and running with all your hardware ready to rock.
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Only if you are used to Windows.
>
> Sit a brand new user down at Windows, and one at Linux.
>
> The Windows user will be productive in a matter of minutes,

a BRAND NEW USER?

Uh, no....the brand new user typically needs 15 minutes just to figure
out how the mouse works.

NOTHING IS INTUITIVE....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THING!

Is any of this getting through to you, shit-head

> the Linux one? Well, try back in a few days.

And the LoseDOS user....try back in a few months.

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Jan 2001 13:30:13 -0600

Wow - what a come back...

So, I guess I must have hit a sore spot.

YOu do know this text came from a pro-linux article and website right?

ahahaha

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:29:06 -0500

Conrad Rutherford wrote:

> For example, ReiserFS is not included (just as it wasn't in 2.2), but it
> will come along in kernel 2.4.1, which is now in a test phase. There are
> also known issues with NVidia cards, which requires a patch to work with
> kernel 2.4.0 -- go figure with NVidia.

Strange...my Linux system is 100% off the SuSE 6.4 CD's, and I have reiserfs,
in fact, everything except the root and swap partition are Reiserfs.

> Sure - let's all do this, and make sure you don' mistype that mv
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.0/arch/i386/boot/bzimage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0 - WHOOPS!!!
> Didn't you see that capital "I" in bzImage wasn't a lower case L so it
> didn't work - damn!!!

Translation: No harm done.

> ahahahahahahahahaah - I love this ... Linux 2.4 for the masses - YEA RIGHT!
> This is an upgrade?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.