Linux-Advocacy Digest #993, Volume #31            Mon, 5 Feb 01 18:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: The Wintrolls ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
  Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows? (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Linux is a fad? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: The Wintrolls (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux is a fad? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: DOS2Unix (mlw)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  win2k -> linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Whistler predictions... ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Add to the microsoft secret code ("Bennetts family")
  Re: Whistler predictions...
  Large Scale Install (wright)
  Re: KDE Hell
  Re: MS executives at LinuxWorld Expo
  Re: The Wintrolls ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Sound a networks
  Re: Yum! A new laptop screen, i thinks ill fry it!
  Re: The Wintrolls ("Edward Rosten")

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Wintrolls
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:51:33 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:29:12 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone ever noticed how the wintrolls seem to have absoloutely vast
> >software libraries in their homes? Only the other day, flatfish claimes
> >to have 4 encyclopedias. Who the hell needs 4 encyclopedias?
>
> You obviously don't have school age children.
> Two of the four came as freebies with hardware I bought and the other
> two were OEM's I picked up at computer shows for $5.00 or so.
> Lexmark is great for free software.

Kids, from what I've seen, truely are software magnets. A friend of mine
with 14 and 17 year-olds are waist-deep in the stuff.

> >Mabey they buy every bit of software on sale just to find stuff that
> >doesn't work under Linux?
>
> You don't even have to buy it, just read the box haven't seen too many
> that say supports Linux.

You're seeing more and more though. Which is quite surprising in a way. Of
course, people were confident Linux, itself, would never have appeared on
those shelves, either...

> >Also the range of problems the trolls have is, quite frankly, vast.
> >What's odd about these problems is that they rarely seem to make it on to
> >he serious news groups, and no one else ever seems to suffer from them.
>
> I suggest a little reading in the Mandrake group for some interesting
> laughter.

That seems to be the only, real, problem area where Linux is concerned.
They've become a real joke as a distro maker. The 7.2 "complete" (sic)
fiasco will either wake them up or do them in. There isn't room in the
industry for two lousy OS's. Microsoft needs SOME area to monopolize in the
future...

> >Finally, you have people like Goodwin, Flatty and EF who hate linux and
> >seem to have is crashing the whole time and can't run software they want,
> >yet they keep on using it.
>
> I don't USE it I just keep it installed to try things when the
> Penguinista's make wild claims.

When the vast majority of those claims are verified by the others, it makes
the nay-sayers claims appear "wild".

> > Why? No sane person would carry on using
> >something if they had so many problems with it (usless it was forced on
> >them).
>

> No sane person would use Linux on a home desktop system as their
> primary operating system.

Hey! I haven't heard the "voices" for years...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: 5 Feb 2001 14:46:57 -0600

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:48:53 GMT, Cerberus AOD
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>IBM keyboards are the best IMHO...at least the 80s ones anyway.

The keyboard on the original PC is about the worst in the history of
computing.   The vic-20 had a superior keyboard.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows?
Date: 05 Feb 2001 13:55:18 -0700

gswork <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Out of interest, having spent time time hacking Linux would coders love
> to see the behemoth code that lies underneath Windows?
>
> It would be fascinating would it not?  Some of it is probably pretty
> good stuff.   Imagine having windows as open source.

Yes!  It would be great to see what would happen.

> Ideally-  what would you do?

Create a new distribution of NT that included all the utilities that
are present in a standard Linux disribution.  Put a package manager
into the system with apt.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is a fad?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:08:19 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:95m5ul$a17$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <3pwf6.422$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tom Wilson"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:95kh2v$a3c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > And this should be a surprise to no-one...
> >
> > PS: No offense but, you argue like one! <g>
>
> OOOh. Put those claws away!

It just reminds me of the sometimes "discussions" I have with my fiance.
Women have men beat, hands down, when it comes to tenacity <g>  Whether this
person truly is or isn't a female, the presentation certainly fits the
profile!

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:10:56 +0000

Edward Rosten wrote:

> Finally, you have people like Goodwin, Flatty and EF who hate linux and
> seem to have is crashing the whole time and can't run software they want,
> yet they keep on using it. Why? No sane person would carry on using
> something if they had so many problems with it (usless it was forced on
> them).

But I don't hate Linux!

And it isn't crashing all the time!

What software is it I can't run?

As for why do I keep using it - KNode is worth the effort!

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:10:33 GMT

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 23:18:02 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > >So we have the truth at last!  He just wants to look at the pretty
> > >girls!  I bet that's the only reason he has a computer!
> >
> > I am a girl.
>
> Let's see...how many females who call themselves "a girl" (as opposed to
> "a woman") are old enough to work in computer stores.....liar.

My mid 40's (she lied and was closer to 50..Why? I dunno..) ex-wife referred
to herself as a girl incessantly.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DOS2Unix
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:13:16 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> >
> > Oddly enough, Windows 1.0/2.x/3.0 (real mode) was a multitasking (cooperative,
> > but could have been preemptive) operating environment for DOS using the
> > 8088/8086 segmented memory model with a pretty cool overlay manager. It
> > simulated virtual memory with discardable read-only code segments. Data
> > segments were swapped in an out of LIM "expanded" memory, but code segments
> > were called in as needed and discarded after use.
> >

> Only if you think crashing is "cool"

There is a difference, in an environment like this, with no protection, apps
should be well tested.

The real most functioning of Windows 1.x-3.0 was amazing, and used sparingly,
was a cool environment to write 16 bit code. It made the machine able to do
more.

My big issue with Microsoft is that they still think like they are dealing with
pissy little micro computers where stability is just a reboot away, until the
next time. Windows now makes the machine unable to do more.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy!
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:24:18 +0000

Sgt Detritus wrote:

> I think one missed point here is that "out of the box" mandrake 7.2
> isn't necessarily the best choice for some systems(doesn't like mine).
> Note that I said "choice"  Note also that with M$ choice is something
> that is sadly lacking.  Now, if I am determined to try this linux
> thing, I could just as easily try Slackware, Red Hat, SuSE, Corel, etc.
> etc. ad nauseum.

I have tried Slackware and Red Hat. I found I liked Mandrake... until I
started really using it!

>  Also, If I am determined to save a little cash, I can
> try all of the above without shelling out any more cash than would be
> needed to by cd-R's to burn the images on (because I'm lazy and don't
> want to try to install from a network or other such. theoretically, the
> cost would only be the time it takes to download).

I find it easier to buy ready made CD's from the Linux Emporium since my
only link to the Internet is via a 56k modem on a non-free line (soon to be
replaced by a fixed cost 500k Cable modem).

> As a side note, I left Linux with IceWM running for several days
> without a single reboot.  Windoze 98 can't run for more than 24 hours
> before requiring multiple reboots.  Just to quell the rancor of
> winzealots, I don't use too many products in win98 that don't come from
> M$ because of school.  Why would one M$ product create instability in
> another?  Oh, I forget, they can't all look at the same source code

Ah...

I left a Windows 98 SE machine running for weeks, what, two months. It
never crashed.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: win2k -> linux
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:21:47 GMT

hi all:

first of all, i have read the HOW-TO on linux installation, the part
using NT loader. unfortunately, it doesn't work for me (or maybe i am
missing something really important).

i have a machine that has win2k on it, and i've used partition magic to
move it over so i have 3 partitions (DOS, Linux Native, Linux Swap). The
DOS (FAT32) partition is 6000MB, and linux took up the rest of the disk.

after successfully installing Red Hat 7, when rebooting, it went
straight to the Win2k loading screen. i tried to use the linux LILO
bootdisk, and got into Linux. but after making all the changes like i am
supposed to according to the HOW-TO, i still can't get NT (Win2k) to see
my linux partition when loading.

is there something fundamentally different between the NT4 and Win2k
loader? or am i missing something here?

any help (or pointing me to another web site) would be greatly
appreciated :)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:30:42 GMT

> Steve Mading wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > :>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () posted:
> >
> > : | >>| >> I'm sure you're speaking about a recent version of Mandrake.
Try Win2k
> > : | >>| >> and you'll be equally stunned.
> > : | >>> |
> > : | >>> | I run Win2K Professional and there's no comparison....
> > : | >>> | Mandrake wins, hands down, for hardware detection.
> > : | >>
> > : | >>Do you still have to select your display adapter and monitor?
> > :> |
> > :> |     Still?
> > :> |
> > :> |     Redhat 5.0 did video autodetection, nevermind Mandrake 7.2.
> >
> > : Come on!! I just installed Mandrake under VMWare on my system, as well
> > : as on another system and I had to choose monitor and graphics card
> > : manually.
> >
> > VMware gets in the way of some hardware detection.  It presents fake
> > virtual devices, but doesn't always give the right answers to the
> > autodetection queries by the OS.  I can't get Windows NT to discover
> > my 'video card' either when I run VMware the other way around (NT as
> > a guest OS, Linux as the native OS).  This is because VMware is
> > presenting a fake Video card that doesn't even exist in the real world.
> > In the NT control panel, under Display Properties, my Adapter Type is
> > listed as "VMware, Inc. svga".  The driver to make this work was
> > supplied by a download from VMware, and was not autodetected.  I had
> > to use the "Have Disk" style of driver installation.
>
> Oh well.
> It certainly isn't a "show-stopper"
> merely adds a 10 more minutes to your install.

More like 3 to 5....
You simply select a menu item from VMware and, then open the installer up
from control panel. Pretty painless.

------------------------------

From: "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Add to the microsoft secret code
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:53:48 +1100

"gswork" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:95ekvt$3b1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
snip

> /*
>     TOP SECRET Microsoft(c)  Code
>     Project: Chicago(tm)
>     Projected release-date: MAY 1998
>     $History$
> */

#include "dos.h"
#include "basic.h"
#include "monopoly.h"

> #include "win31.h"
> #include "win95.h"
> #include "evenmore.h"

--Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:51:22 -0000

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 19:38:06 -0500, Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () posted:

>| >>> |

>> |     Still?
>> |
>> |     Redhat 5.0 did video autodetection, nevermind Mandrake 7.2.
>
>Come on!! I just installed Mandrake under VMWare on my system, as well
>as on another system and I had to choose monitor and graphics card
>manually. This is how I have always done it and I didn't have to do

        No, you "come on".

        I have had a Voodoo3 and a Matrox G400 completely autoconfigured
        by Mandrake all the way up to 3D acceleration. My 19" pnp crt
        monitor is also autoconfigured.

>this when I installed Win2k. My sound card, graphics card (specific
>drivers), monitor, modems, printer, scanner and zip250 drive were all
>installed and ready for use when I installed Win2k. My mission here is

        OTOH, when I recently installed NT5/SP1 I had to load extra
        drivers the NIC, modem, audio & video.

        Infact, Win2K with certain hardware will just give you this
        enigmatic "unknown hardware" detected message with some
        hardware even when it's perfectly aware of what it detected.
        It does this even despite the fact that it has a generic
        driver available.

        The novice end user would have no clue how to deal with this
        information hiding as "forcing it" to use an arbitrary driver
        is anti-intuitive.

>not really to preach how wonderful Win2k is but to just mention that

        BULLSHIT!

[deletia]

        BTW, the video hardware that NT5/SP1 pukes all over is the
        ATI Blade 3D.

From: wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Large Scale Install
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:53:07 GMT

Does anyone know or have experience with installing Linux on
a large scale?  For example, 9,000 machines in 90 buildings
in a municipal region.

The environment is a mix of Macs, IBM, Vax Mainframe, etc.

Thanks in advance.

jmaw

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:07:12 -0000

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:34:02 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Charlie Ebert in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 03 Feb 2001
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>>On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 02:05:55 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   [...]
>>I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth if you don't mind.
>
>Thanks, Charlie.  Glad to have you.
>
>>When it came to King, King resisted arrest and was beaten up
>>for doing it.  It was put on video and the citizens finally
>>got to see police in action up close.  You'd never see this
>>on cops but it happens all the time and still happens to
>>this day.
>>
>>When it comes to Koresh, don't we have better things to do
>>with our Federal money and time than chace religious kooks?
>>Religious kooks with guns or not, who cares....
>>
>>Did they break any law?  I still never heard.
>
>That's the problem, really.  What happened was that they were suspected
>of breaking the law, by stockpiling weapons.  But when Mr. Koresh was
>approached to serve him with a warrant, providing him an opportunity to

        This has got to be one of the most assinine euphemisms I have
        ever had the displeasure to be subjected to. He wasn't merely
        'approached'. HIS HOUSE WAS SUBJECT TO MILITARY ASSAULT.

[deletia]

        They took the leader of a doomsday cult, someone already
        prone to violent paranoid dellusions and punked him.

        They took the most inflammatory cause of action possible.

        This is not uncommon police practice. They will abuse you to
        the extent that they think they can. You can be a criminal
        law professor and still treated like Rodney King. Just do a
        little yard work.

--

  >> Yes.  And the mailer should never hand off directly to a program
  >> that allows the content to take control.
  >
  >Well most mailers can, so I guess they all suck too.

        Yup.

        Candy from strangers should be treated as such.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: MS executives at LinuxWorld Expo
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:10:39 -0000

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 22:17:27 GMT, Pete Goodwin <imekon@$$$REMOVE$$$.freeuk.com> wrote:
>R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
><95i0sr$p64$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>Microsoft's assertion that Linux is not a technical thread is
>>actually absurd.  Eventually, Linux will reach the mainstream
>>and executive desktops.  When it does, Microsoft will be unable
>>to pretend that it has originated technology that was forged in
>>the cauldron of Open Source.
>
>They've had a long time to get there... and they haven't quite made it yet.
>Instead they (KDE) appear to be copying Windows. What innovation Linux?

        Innovation isn't the issue.

        Besides, there are interface elements that Microsoft originally
        swiped from X and motif anyways. Nevermind the fact that
        Microsloth's own GUI isn't particularly "innovative" and is itself
        a knockoff of various predecessors.

--

        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:58:06 +0100

In article <dDEf6.29252$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete Goodwin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>
>> Finally, you have people like Goodwin, Flatty and EF who hate linux and
>> seem to have is crashing the whole time and can't run software they
>> want, yet they keep on using it. Why? No sane person would carry on
>> using something if they had so many problems with it (usless it was
>> forced on them).
>
> But I don't hate Linux!
>
> And it isn't crashing all the time!
>
> What software is it I can't run?
>
> As for why do I keep using it - KNode is worth the effort!

Pete,

I have been following your adventures with LM 7.2 for some time, and
apart frome the abuse you heap on your poor system, I must admit that
your postings confirm to other rumours I've heard and my (admittedly
limited) experience with Mandrake.
It seems that Mandrake is so obsessed with being on the cutting edge on
one side and their market share on the other side, that they have started
shipping defective distros. This is a sure path to oblivion in my
opinion, and I would suggest you switch to another distro ASAP. That
would also bring the noise level of your postings waaay down.

Mart

Happily running Debian 2.2

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Sound a networks
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:15:00 -0000

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 09:48:24 +0000, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Tom Wilson wrote:
>
>> To each his own, I guess. I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to my
>> software/hardware. I personally prefer the roll-your-own approach to
>> things. As far as having a long way to go. It does, in the context of Joe
>> Average User. Hopefully, InstallShield's entry into the fray will help
>> things out as far as package management is concerned. Time will tell.
>
>I'd rather let the system set itself up so I can get on with I want to do.
>I'm less of a tinkerer these days.

        Then why do you use WinDOS?

        Unix is much more true to the paradigm of "set itself up".
        At least the like of kudzu do hardware autoconfiguration
        in batch mode. With quarterly point releases for the OS,
        you actually have a complete package of OS+drivers.

        This is in stark contrast with n+1 pieces of installation
        media where n equals the number of device drivers present.

        Win2K drove me nuts with this. Plus if you have drivers for
        multiple versions of Windows on the same driver disk, Windows
        can't properly sort out which are appropriate for the current
        running version.

[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Yum! A new laptop screen, i thinks ill fry it!
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:18:04 -0000

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 06:40:00 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:ah7f6.224$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:76Yd6.340$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > "meow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > While I disagree that Linux could possibly harm an LCD screen, I do
>agree
>> > with you on one point.
>> >
>> > Monitors and Video cards have supported automatic identificaiton of
>> monitor
>> > capabilities for years.  Why doesn't Linux support this?
>>
>> Xconfigurator does and has for quite some time.
>> Mandrake's installer does and has ever since they opted for graphical
>> installs
>> Educate yourself before posing such questions...
>
>When I was running Mandrake 7.2 it most certainly did *NOT* auto-detect my
>monitor.  I had to physically select it from the list (and I had to do this

        I detected mine just fine. Although, with a proper pnp monitor
        it shouldn't really care about "which" monitor you have but what
        refresh modes are available.

>every time I changed graphic modes, which was quite annoying).
>
>Xconfigurator?  Does that exist in every distribution of Linux?  Does it
>exist in even most of them?

        It exists for anyone that chooses to use it.

        It exists for the distro under discussion.

--

        Freedom != Anarchy.

          Some must be "opressed" in order for their
        actions not to oppress the rest of us.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:31:48 +0000

> On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:29:12 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone ever noticed how the wintrolls seem to have absoloutely vast
>>software libraries in their homes? Only the other day, flatfish claimes
>>to have 4 encyclopedias. Who the hell needs 4 encyclopedias?
>
> You obviously don't have school age children. Two of the four came as
> freebies with hardware I bought and the other two were OEM's I picked up
> at computer shows for $5.00 or so. Lexmark is great for free software.

Do you use them all? Are any of them as good as, say Britannica?

>>Mabey they buy every bit of software on sale just to find stuff that
>>doesn't work under Linux?
>
> You don't even have to buy it, just read the box haven't seen too many
> that say supports Linux.

You spend time reading software boxes?

>>Also the range of problems the trolls have is, quite frankly, vast.
>>What's odd about these problems is that they rarely seem to make it on
>>to he serious news groups, and no one else ever seems to suffer from
>>them.
>
> I suggest a little reading in the Mandrake group for some interesting
> laughter.

Don't use Mandrake, then. Simple, really.

>>Finally, you have people like Goodwin, Flatty and EF who hate linux and
>>seem to have is crashing the whole time and can't run software they
>>want, yet they keep on using it.
>
> I don't USE it I just keep it installed to try things when the
> Penguinista's make wild claims.

So you install it and then do what if you never use it. Also, you install
it every time someone posts on cola? No wonder you're pissed off with it
:-)

>> Why? No sane person would carry on using
>>something if they had so many problems with it (usless it was forced on
>>them).
>

> No sane person would use Linux on a home desktop system as their primary
> operating system.

I have good reasons for using Linux. You have good reasons for not using
Linux. So why bother with it at all?

> Flatfish Why do they call it a flatfish? Remove the ++++ to reply.
Its flat!

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:34:00 +0000

> I don't believe that these "wintrolls" do realize that for sure each
> pro-linux-guy in this group has made his funny to bitter experiences
> with  M$-Systems ? Ever got a crash in Excel when trying to save a file
> and lost

We've all been there...

>  all data ? Ever wrote a 400-pages document and Word 97 didn't agree
>  with

Ouch! 400 pages in word? You must like punishment :-)

> your layout ? I know, Excel and Word are applications and not the OS,
> but  they are as unreliable as W3.1*/95/98/ME.

True.

> Mostly the trolls are amateurs in computing -nothing bad, I am too-, got
>  problems with configuring such easy stuff like mandrake, trying to open
> 130MB textfile with the wrong editor, complain about fonts and buy
> hardware  like winmodems which sometimes won't run with Linux. If you
> put Diesel in  the wrong car, who is the idiot ?

The Wintrolls seem to go out of the way to do idiotic things.

-Ed

--

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:36:26 +0000

> You'll have to admit that without our much appreciated Wintrolls, this
> NG would be utterly boring.

That is true.  My personal favourite was Tym Parmer (Tim Palmer). That
guy was seriously funny. Aparrently he hung out on
something.usage.english (or something like that).

-Ed