From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sun vs. MS
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 07:39:25 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >Patrick McAllister wrote:
> >>
> >> I just thought this was funny....I liked his responses to MS, although I
> >> personally can't vouch for their accuracy.....
> >>
> >> http://www.sun.com/dot-com/realitycheck/headsup010205.html
> >
> >As someone with the necessary background (both theoritical and practical),
> >I find Sun's answer to be both factual AND highly amusing.
> >:-)
> >
> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> I find it absolutely incredible that Microsoft representatives would
> make the assertions they have against the company who brought Java
> into existance in the firstplace.
>
> Doubly so when you consider Microsoft has never had a sucessful Java
> replacement to this day.

For Microsoft to actually produce a product that is truly platform
independant will be their undoing...and they know it.

> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 07:43:55 -0500

mlw wrote:

> Patrick McAllister wrote:
> >
> > I just thought this was funny....I liked his responses to MS, although I
> > personally can't vouch for their accuracy.....
> >
> > http://www.sun.com/dot-com/realitycheck/headsup010205.html
>
> I have a great respect/fear of Sun. I have a great disdain/hatred for
> Microsoft. Both these companies are power hungry. I have a disdain for
> Microsoft for what they have been able to do, I have a fear of Sun for what
> they would do, if they were in Microsoft's place.

Sun makes most of their money designing and licensing networking protocols...
that's where the majority of their intellectual capital is invested.

Their hardware production is totally outsourced.

Almost all of the initial work in useable network protocals (telnet,
ftp, etc.) were developed under Bill Joy...who then founded Sun, with
their famous slogan "The NETWORK is the computer".

Sun is about networking.  Whether it is networking with another
Sun box or not, they really don't give a shit....they don't even
care if you're networking with Unix or not...just as long as you're
doing networking.

> Never the less, the non-sense Microsoft spews must be countered with some
> sarcasm.
>
> --
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 07:47:49 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Wintrolls

Les Mikesell wrote:

> I never understood why you should have to deal with the obscure and
> arbitrary devices names that *bsd uses in this process.  It is much easier
> to pick the descriptive choices that you see with the Linux 'make xconfig'
> step.

The FreeBSD kernel config file is very well documented with comments.
For example, it's pretty obvious what mse0 is:

# mse: Logitech and ATI InPort bus mouse ports
device          mse0    at isa? port 0x23c irq 5

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 07:47:28 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Steve Mading in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 7 Feb 2001 07:36:56 GMT;
>    [...]
> >Has it occurred to any of the people in this argument that maybe,
> >just maybe, it's possible that *both* the Davidians and the ATF
> >were guilty, and that neither side was in "the right"?  Perhaps
> >the madman *did* torch his own followers out of some demented
> >sense of religious martyrdom, but the ATF shouldn't have put him
> >under the siege in the first place.  There's nothing illegal about
> >being a moron who thinks he's some kind of god.
>
> No, but it is illegal to resist arrest, as counter-intuitive and scary
> as that may seem to the libertarianites.  Perhaps the ATF *could* have
> avoided a siege.  Other than the fact that the religious madman decided
> to murder his own followers and their children to avoid arrest on a
> relatively petty charge, though, there's scarcely any reason to presume
> they "shouldn't" have.  And the fact that Koresh turned out to be a
> murderous madman, not just a religious flake who happened to own guns,
> doesn't really support that point, either.
>
> To be honest, I find the Ruby Ridge incident many times more disturbing.

I think that in both cases, the Federal law-ENFORCEMENT officials were
flagrantly violating the law themselves...and should ALL be thrown in
the hoosegow for a goood, loooonnnnnnnnnnnnng time.

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: 08 Feb 2001 12:50:00 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) writes:

> #1.  Suse and Mandrake and RedHat already do a fine job of autodetecting
> hardware.

I've installed Red hat five times (2x 5.2, 1x 6.0, and 2x6.2), and while
it does an impressive job it's still far from flawless.  Sound it
typically the weakest point; second, I've never had a monitor
correctly autodetected, and even when feeding in the correct specs the
modelines created by Xconfigurator gave unusable output.  Not to
mention the difficulties getting X to work at all, if you're unlucky
(cases in point: S3 Virge MX+ and Neomagic 256 under Red Hat 5.2)

I'm not claiming that Windows, in the absence of driver disks, would
fare any better; that's not the point.  The point is that the first
impression of many people who try out Linux will be the installation
process, and this often requires rather more fiddling by the user than
most people are comfortable with.

Is this the `fault' of Linux?  No - it's the `fault' of the
manufacturers for not playing nicely with Linux (by providing driver
disks or making sure the hardware identifies itself correctly to the
installation program).  Nevertheless, it is the reason why many people
are put off Linux in the early stages.

> I have found that once a Linux system is setup, the administration
> is non-existant.  The systems established in cron by all the distributions
> are sufficient to keep the system up and operating for years.

You mean, you never update your software?  All the Red Hat
distributions I have used have recommended upgrading the kernel at
some point, due to remote exploits.  Apart from this, system logs
should be examined and backups performed regularly, at the very least.

--
Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 07:54:20 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > > Here's a FAQ for you to read
> > >
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/techart/faq111700
> > > .htm
> >
> > That's what I got:
> >
> > "The page you're looking for has been moved or removed from the site."
> >
> > This, I believe is the best possible explanation of .NET, with "hands
> > on" experience. Thank you.
>
> Perhaps if you actually noticed that the link wrapped before posting, you
> wouldn't make a fool of yourself.

Perhaps if you would have set your line length properly, you wouldn't
come off as being someone who doesn't even know how to formate a USENET post.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Subject: Re: Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 versus Linux comparison
Date: 8 Feb 2001 12:52:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Warner) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hi all,
>
>I just found this on Microsoft's site:
>http://www.microsoft.com/SBSERVER/productinfo/linux.htm
>
>No mention of the publication date, but it appears recent and it is
>copyright 2001.
>
>Microsoft again says Linux is more risky. But this is a very impressive
>piece of spin:
>
>"The open-source nature of the product means that many Linux deployments
>are somewhat unique and custom built with various solution pieces pulled
>together. Thus a small-business customer becomes highly reliant on the
>technology provider who designs and implements the Linux-based network.
>If that technology provider is not available to continue to provide
>support, there is not likely to be another provider who can easily step
>in and have the knowledge to take over support of that custom-built
>network."
>
>In other words, Microsoft is now saying don't use Linux because you will
>then be tied to a single technology provider! (Newbie alert: this is
>false).

Not to say hypocritical.

If your closed-source technology provider is unable to continue to provide
support - to pluck an example out of the air,  let's say an anti-trust
investigation orders their execution - there is not likely to be another
provider who can easily step in.

With an open-source solution, anyone can step in and take over.
--
Nick

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 07:57:57 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >This means that, at the sub-atomic level, we will NEVER detect
> >certain event if the product   delta-time x delta-energy is
> >below the minimum threshold of uncertainty...at least not with
> >any experimental apparatus based on Quantum Dynamic theory.
> >
> >Einstein summarized this principle as follow:
> >
> >       The rule is *not* "Don't stick your tongue out at the
> >       teacher;" the rule is "Don't GET CAUGHT sticking your
> >       tongue out at the teacher."
> >
> >In this case, he was referring to the Conservation of Mass-Energy law...
> >that is, if the violation of Conservation of Mass-Energy is short enough,
> >then, in fact, the substance being studied "can get away with" violating
> >the conservation law.
> >
> >Thus, the theorizing about entities such as "gluons"...massive,
> >short-lived particles that keep the nucleus together...as long as
> >the atomic nucleus is small, then the gluon can pop into-existance,
> >traverse the nucleus, and then disappear again, without violating
> >the Conservation of Mass-Energy law, because it's too short-lived.
> >With larger, nuclei, however, the gluon might not be able to do
> >it's work within the specified time to remain undetected...and
> >thus, and explanation for fission decay of the heavier elements.
>
> Also reasonably well explained, but I sense you're going a bit
> overboard.
>
> I think what's most remarkable is that your response is more than a
> sentence or two to begin with.  Not what we're used to seeing from you,
> Aaron (though I can understand that discussing this stuff is pretty
> irresistible, to those of us who find it fascinating.)  Be careful,
> they're going to take away your troll card.
>
> >Ultimately, as the present Quantum Dynamic method is finally
> >overthrown for new, more comprehensive physics (in the same way
> >that Quantum Dynamics overthrew classical Newtonian physics to
> >explain what happens at the atomic level), we may discover a
> >way to see below the threshold defined by Heisenberg's uncertainty
> >principle.
> >
> >Schroedinger, was, of course, trying to argue that Heisenberg's
> >proposal lead to irrational paradoxes...yet, so far, Heisenberg
> >has held out, without a single paradox arising.
>
> I don't believe you're right, here.  Shroedinger was *illustrating* the
> ramifications of quantum theory in producing what would appear to be
> irrational results when applied to the macro-universe, whether Newtonian
> or the 'already irrational' Einsteinian, universe.
>
>    [...]
> >Anyway, in the original drawing, there was a man, standing in front
> >of a campus map, title Heisenberg Institute, with a large X and a
> >legend bearing the words, "you are here (more or less)"
>
> Cool cartoon; I think I've seen it.
>
> I think ultimately it will all fall out with the 'extra dimensions'
> required for string theory to be predictive being infinite in number.
> Leaving use where we started, but with a universal field theory.

Every solution to a mystery of physics .... yields 10 more mysteries.

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Date: 8 Feb 2001 12:56:10 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Gardiner) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>And why do you say that?  After looking at Microsoft...A collective
>group of companys/organisations develop and embrace and open
>standard..however...Microsoft wants to re-invent the wheel again, so
>they create C# and DirectX because they don't like using something not
>developed by them.  Given the chance, if Microsoft could, they would try
>to replace TCP/IP with their own protocol

They tried that, the original Windows for Workgroups had NetBEUI, and only
later did it support TCP/IP (and NetBEUI was still the default).

> just out of spite of the fact
>that it was embraced my UNIX first.  When it comes to analysing
>Microsoft, they, in my view, they as a company are very childish.

Not childish, just obsessed with creating customer lock-in.
--
Nick

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: how come you have to reboot when you change DNS servers in Windows?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 08:00:03 -0500

Ben Reiter wrote:

> In article <FBQf6.3523$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "jtnews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I was trying to experiment with
> > > various networking options in windows
> > > 98se and for each little different
> > > configuration like changing a DNS server
> > > I had to reboot windows.  Why is that?
> >
> > The reason is not quite as difficult as you might imagine.  The 9x TCP/IP
> > stack initializes at boot, and once initialized it can't be changed.
>
> I can't think of any reason this should be necessary, nor any reason why
> it couldn't have been fixed in 98, 98se, etc.
>
> The OS should handle DNS lookups (I'm using this as a network operations
> example since it's used in the original question).  A simple call to
> WinGetAddrByName(name) (example; I don't know the winsock APIs) should
> return the IP of the name based entirely on the name the OS is using.  I
> can't think of any other modern OS that can't switch DNS servers without
> shutting down power and completely reloading the OS and all applications.
>
> Could someone with more experience in Windows programming, maybe even MS
> OS design, show me a reason why this change requires a restart?  Or,

Probably because MS put it in the boot-up code, and didn't provide any
internal facilities for accessing it after that.

> rather, why the TCP/IP stack, 'once initialized it can't be changed'?
>
> \Ben
>
> --
> "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher regard
> those who think alike than those who think differently" - Nietzche
> "Think Different" - Apple
>
> My address above has no spamproofing - spam me, and I'll get your throwaway
> account cancelled, guaranteed.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.