From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: start up commands
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 01:14:44 +1200

Gary Hallock wrote:

> In article <9chgeh$5frs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "E. Carrillo"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys:
>>
>>       I have a small question, Is there a way to tell linux to start a
>> program or module sort of the same way that windows starts programs from
>> the startup folder?  I have to use the OSS sound drivers for my sound
>> card since it's not working with my distro, but OSS is doing very well.
>>  So, I have to type the command "soundon" every time I turn on the PC.
>> I'm running SuSe
>> 7.1, Does anyone know how to start this module under SuSe 7.1?  I tried
>> typing the "soundon" line on one of the system files but it didn't work,
>> maybe I placed the line out of place.  Thanks.
>>

> I'm not sure if SuSe is the same, but with Redhat you could put the
> soundon command the /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> Gary

/etc/init.d/boot.local

add in soundon (the full path name etc), this will automatically load  the
OSS modules.   Just as a side not, what soundcard do you use?

Matthew Gardiner
--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux support "Burn-Proof" CDRW's
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:17:21 +0100

Mart van de Wege wrote:
> > Interesting. The Apt-get thing sounds interesting. When you say that it
> > installs the required dependencies, do you mean that it simply prompts
> > you like rpm, or does it actually allow you to download them there and
> > then?
> >
> Even better: it will download it for you there and then. It first shows
> what it needs, and then prompts you if you want to download all that.
> I'll paste an example from a terminal window:
> Again, see that apt tells me exactly what it needs, how much it wants to
> download and how much already is in my local mirror?
> And building that mirror is as easy as changing 2 lines in 2
> well-documented config files and running apt-move mirror for the full
> mirror, or apt-move sync to only mirror what is already install on your
> system.

This is great! Why can't rpm do this? Just this alone may make me want
to switch from RH7.1 to a Debian box. Thanks for the example - this is
just the kind of neat feature that makes life so much easier.

> Apt has 2 major shortcomings: it needs a good internet connection unless
> you mirror locally to your HD, but the Debian package archive for example
> is about 3.5G.

Luckily I have had ADSL this year so I am downloading everything I can
:) One of the problems with rpm's is that if they have dependencies the
packages are not always easy to locate. I have not found a similar rpm
scheme - and this would seem to be a sensible solution.

> And secondly, apt is not very good at installing individually downloaded
> packages, it relies on someone else to set up a well integrated archive,
> so that it can satisfy dependencies. So if your distributor doesn't
> provide you with that you're SOL. At the moment there are AFAIK 3 major
> distro's that do this: Progeny, Libranet (both Debian based) and
> Connectiva (brazilian, Red Hat based). I've heard rumours of Mandrake
> starting the same. You can of course add third party sources to apt, but
> this *will* bring down the reliability of the dependency tracking (ask
> any Debian user about Ximian Gnome)

Interesting - this seems to be a large issue. It seems to me that maybe
a few heads need to be bashed together to make a single dependency
archive and install method that works with most popular distributions.
Also I guess this would mean the distributions agreeing on those little
details that make life painful.

> Long post this, but I hope it helps you some.
>
> Mart

Thanks - very interesting indeed - I am now convinced that I'll try
Debian and not be put off by the installer.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MIcrosoft: Words, denial and WTF!
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 01:18:56 +1200

> I'm fed up with fucking parasites.

use anti-bacteria soap.  As for the feminist debate, who ever is pushing
the extreme-feminists wheelbarrow, are only a small group out of a world
population of 5 billion that don't share their views. So why get your
pube's in a pickle over a small group of nutters?

Matthew Gardiner

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Baseball
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:40:06 +0200 (CEST)

t. max fagass:
> Said jim dutton in alt.destroy.microsoft on 25 Apr 2001 13:48:57 GMT;
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >Chris Ahlstrom  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>Only a moron would wonder about the sales of a
> >>free downloadable operating system.
> >>
> >>Into the breech steps jackie!
> >
> > If sarcasm bit you on the ass Chris would you notice?
> >
> > Never mind we saw the answer.
> >
> > -Jeem, The stupidity runs deep in that one
>
> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!
>
> Random gibberish does not a reply make, Jackie.

what part of '-Jeem' do you not understand?

> Perhaps some remedial
> writing classes, in addition to the remedial reading classes, might help
> you out a bit to understand why.

bwian boitano wept.
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: Elias Poulojohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:45:14 +0300

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> t. max fagass:
>> Said Nomen Nescio in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:20:06
>> >t. max fagass:
>>    [...]
>> >
>> >jabba is that you?
>>
>> No, its the Blue Beetle.
>
> you misspelled raja.

>> >are you sure you want to play a game?
>>
>> Are you sure you want to get your ass spanked?
>
> did linux reinforce your homosexual bumlooker nature or were you like
> this already?
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

so homosexual is supposed to be some kind of an insult?and will you at last
stop with this idiocy?
and as for you jackie-what-ever... i looked at all of your posts...
it is clear to me now... you have the IQ of a peenut..
its a pity...you could make a good homosexual
( you can insult me as you want ... i wont even try to answer.. wont fall
to your level again)
--
X~

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unwelcome changes in Linux advocacy.
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:54:38 +0100

David Neary wrote:
> I'm light - just a bit depressed at seeing a community I like on
> a slippery slope. It's a shame.

If it makes you happier, its been on this slope since the group was
created.  The stupid flameage comes and goes, but the overall tenor
remains about constant.

Donal.
--
"If something like this happened in the real world, not only would I be under
 NDA, but I would also be afraid of having my own personal butt involved in

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:06:17 GMT

Obviously you haven't been reading your Lotus Notes lately.

Nix in no way shape or form is the dominent desktop system in that
company. Maybe the research dept's use it, but everyone else is using
Windows, and most are still using Windows 95. That includes the sales
force, billing, support centers (which just switched to NT4 BTW).

You need to get out of the cubicle a little more Gary :)

FLatfish

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: t. max devlin: kook
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:06:46 GMT

Said Peter Hayes in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:00:26
>On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 05:49:54 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> >If the Apple Lisa, Classic or whatever it was that I saw in Lasky's store
>> >in Glasgow in the early 80s had launched its apps with a single mouse click
>> >I would have been attracted to it, maybe even bought one. As it was, all I
>> >got was precious little, and I left unimpressed.
>>
>> Live and learn.  Who was worse off for this, you or Apple?
>
>Apple. Mind you, I now hate the things for their closed proprietry hardware
>and inefficient outdated OS (OSX excepted, since I've not seen or used it I
>can't pass judgement). So, thankfully, I missed buying Apple.

Well, you're the one complaining, and I don't recall any press releases
bemoaning their loss.

   [...]
>> And from that point on, they're doomed.  The will never ever understand
>> the desktop metaphor, nor the computer underneath, but simply mindlessly
>> click and hope things work the way they expect or imagine.
>
>We're dealing with the desktop and how to launch the app, not how to use it
>thereafter. One click or two to launch it has no effect on how it's used,
>or the user's approach to it.

That's silly.  You don't seem to understand the concept of a metaphor.
When dealing with how an icon works, you are dealing with how the icon
works.  Given the limitations of the interface, I can see how using
different mouse buttons for different things, one of which would mean
"launch", *might* work.  But it simply isn't how the thing has been
developed, and despite your claims, double-clicking isn't difficult
enough to be a problem, or to be avoided.  Rarely do you HAVE to use it,
it's just the easiest way to do something, and is in fact intended as a
shortcut.

>> >Of course some icons aren't exactly self-evident, but that's another story.
>>
>> No, it's not.  Why do you keep wanting to treat certain parts of the
>> desktop metaphor as separate from the desktop metaphor itself?
>
>I meant the so-called artwork attached to some icons.

I know what you meant.  Icons may or may not be more or less ambiguous;
its part of what makes them icons, instead of buttons.

>>[...]Voices are for talking, not for executing processes.
>
>I agree. A VCI works in Startrek, but I can't see people entering values
>into a spreadsheet with one, especially in a busy office.

I can't even see using VCI for light switches and such.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: IE
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:06:48 GMT

Said Giuliano Colla in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 29 Apr 2001
>Ed Allen wrote:
>> T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:06:49
>> >   [...]
>> >
>> >I'm not sure what the latter has to do with the former.  Does lynx have
>> >a very comprehensive bookmark system?  NS4 seems to work perfectly well
>> >for me, to be honest.
   [...]
>>     I have not felt the need for them myself but then I use NS4.75
>>     most of my time on line with images, javascript, java, document
>>     supplied fonts, and style sheets all turned off.
>
>I have the feeling that your attitude (which I share, btw.) is becoming
>more and more common, as a reaction to "artistic" web sites.

I think it becomes more articulated, if not more common, as people come
to expect web sites to actually provide functional value.  This is the
value of being able to use a form or order something, though; it is
convenient access to information.  When we recognize that the web is
very large and valuable, we kind of expect to be able to get something
value from it WITHOUT having to sacrifice our leisure.

>I have an e-mail account at usa.net, and recently, when I tried to
>access the site I was rejected. I tried again paying more attentions to
>the links I was set through, before being rejected, and I saw a
>"reason=images disabled" pass by.
>Well, if they took the pain to check for images enabled, and to reject
>users which don't have them, it means that it's not just my (and yours)
>lunacy!

Just because the most outrageous examples of stupidity are usually
imaginary doesn't mean outrageous stupidity does not exist.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: there's always a bigger fool
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:06:49 GMT

Said Giuliano Colla in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 29 Apr 2001
22:46:07 GMT;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said Giuliano Colla in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 27 Apr 2001

>> >It's sad to learn such a thing. My customers will be bitterly
>> >disappointed when they'll learn that we've been developing for months on
>> >a number of non-existing boxes,  and we will deliver them a non-existing
>> >box running the software they need!
>>
>> You didn't understand, Giuliano.  What he meant was that there is no
>> specific hardware platform, as in "Mac or PC".
>>

>It was an apparently failed attempt to be sarcastic. It's a common
>language shortcut call "Linux box" a box running Linux, as opposed to an
>e.g. "Windows box".

No, I think it was just a mistake.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Exploit devastates WinNT/2K security
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:06:50 GMT

Said Bob Hauck in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:43:45
>On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:27:37 GMT, T. Max Devlin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I'm not concerned with  your lack of understanding of NFS,
>
>And I'm getting real tired of talking to your asshole.  It keeps telling
>me that I have "no understanding" of whatever it is we're discussing at
>the time.

Nonsense.  I said you have a lack of understanding, not that you have
'no understanding'.  Get a grip.

>I'm done with this now.  Feel free to spout whatever nonsense you want
>about NFS while I'm gone.

Why?  I wasn't saying anything about NFS until you started spouting
nonsense about why MS didn't use it.