  Re: Red Hat has become scary? ("Bobby D. Bryant")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Am I ****? HP Photosmart C500 and Win 2000
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:17:13 -0400

Ed wrote:

> Tor, you seem to be obsessed with your claim that "to be f*****" is correct
> and common English.  Now I've been to Norway several times, and I find it to
> be a fine country with wonderful people, many of whom speak English quite
> well, but I can't help but observe that for most of them it is not their
> native language, and they would probably refrain from lecturing others on
> correct usage of it.
>
> As for your specific claim, you seem an intelligent fellow, but you cannot
> be serious when you claim that "f***" is acceptable and normal English.
> Perhaps it was 400 years ago on a dock in London, but this is not 400 years
> ago.  This is here and now, and the word "f***" is currently considered not
> acceptable for public usage.  So continue to amuse yourself with Ye Olde
> Dictionary if you like, but you really aren't at all persuasive on the
> matter.

You've never heard "The fucking fuck's fucked!" ???

> --
> ---
> "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Jim Knowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > On the other hand, there's always the possibility that a preference
> > > for intercourse with his camera is the REAL reason our friend above
> > > has refrained from procreation.....
> >
> > I don't get you assholes: You keep throwing around pathetic insults at
> > anyone who posted anything non-negative about the presence of the four
> > letter word in the initial subject line - without EVER providing an
> > alternative to the common English expression "to be fucked" when used
> > in this non-sexual context.
> >
> > Please get some life, all of you.
> >
> > --
> >   Tor Iver Wilhelmsen                              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > This line intentionally left cluttered. dfgjksdfdghsdknfgsjksngskj

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:17:36 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:UTlD6.1860$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tom Wilson wrote:
>
> > My systems are generally well behaved. I was simply wondering if some of
> > yours were posessed. <g>
>
> I did wonder if the propensity for the number '666' and the fire and
> brimstone oozing out of the back of the monitor were normal...
>
> > I've never seen KDE do half of those things you've described. About the
> > only time I ever had X lock up to such an extent turned out to be flaky
> > RAM on my old Voodoo card. (Windows, too, started locking up whenever a
> > game or application indulged in heavy texture mapping at high
resolutions.
> > It just occured more frequently under X as the overall mapping and
> > rendering were so much faster) Even then, telnet or ssh were functional
> > and allowed me to shut the system down.
>
> How much do you use KDE?

In the past, I used it exclusively. Recently though, I went back to using
FVWM2 as it suits my needs very well.

> > Have you absolutely and positively ruled out flakey hardware of any
sort?
> > Linux does have a very low tolerance for misbehaving and marginal
> > hardware.
>
> I'd have thought flakey hardware would show up as problems under Windows
> too. I suspect it's not flakey hardware but the software: Linux + X + KDE
> 2.1.

The diffference, especially where video is concerned, is that an Accelerated
X configuration really puts a card through its' paces. The same can be said
for system bus I/O. There's a lot less extraneous overhead than running
under Windows and anything marginal tends to reveal itself under those
conditions.

As far as KDE 2.1 goes, I found it to be exteremely stable. The only thing I
dislike about it is its' similarity to Windows. This isn't a "Bash Microsoft
Kneejerk" thing, just a matter of preference. X, from what i've experienced,
is rock solid stable with the right hardware. There are some cards, though,
that can be a royal PITA. (Fought an ATI Rage 128 AGP under Red Hat 7 this
afternoon, in fact).

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:18:52 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >   Rob> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >   >>
> >   >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >   snip>
> >
> >   >> what a maroon.
> >
> >   Rob>  Stop playing "More Libertarian than thou". It's unseemly.
> >
> >Kulkis is not vaguely libertarian.  He repeatedly calls for the
> >murder of people that disagree with him.
>
> He says Saudi Arabia is a "nice place to live", too ;-)

It beats a lot of other places.  As autocrats go, King Fahd isn't too bad.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:21:17 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:25:16 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >GreyCloud wrote:
> >> For all concerned here on this topic: If you know don't talk... If you
> >> are a contractor for the Navy or U.S. Gov. you have some form of
> >> clearance...  don't talk.
> >> You could lose your clearance status and hence your job(s).  Heads up
> >> fellows.
> >
> >Correct.
> >
> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >

> Like you'd know Aaron. You've previously made claims that you have a
> security clearance and stated "I'd better cause I have the code books".
> But if you actually HAD a clearance you'd know that even cleared
> people can't "have" code books.

Then what are they doing in my safe?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:21:46 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2001 10:35:47 -0500, Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>Correct.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Aaron R. Kulkis
> >>

> >Like you'd know Aaron. You've previously made claims that you have a
> >security clearance and stated "I'd better cause I have the code books".
> >But if you actually HAD a clearance you'd know that even cleared
> >people can't "have" code books.
> >

> Not to mention that fact that telling people you have any classified
> material is in itself a security violation.  Oh, but I forgot, you've
> got that modified NNTP header to protect you.

EVERY COMMO CHIEF has classified material.  THAT'S THE FUCKING JOB.
GET OVER IT.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:23:17 GMT

"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> My only criticism of SuSE is SAX/SAX2 which is utter rubbish. I needed
> several goes to get the resolution and depth I wanted. It never did
succeed
> on my laptop, merely crashing and locking up the whole machine. I'd to
hack
> XF86Config by hand to get it to work. SuSE really need to re-write this
> abomination, especially as everything else works so well, if a little
> slower than Mandrake.

No-one has really "nailed" a good configuration tool for X, yet.
Unfortunately, the only way to get good results is to hack the XF86Config by
hand.

Mandrake IS quick since they tend to stay bleeding edge with their distros.
The only big drawback, though, is that their distros tend to be a bit, shall
we say, unstable. 7.2's quirks pretty much did me in where they're
concerned. I plan to stick with SuSE from this point forward.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:25:27 +1200

Lance Togar wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS PL wrote:
> > >
> > > As hard as it may be to believe, even in Washington, price and quality
> have
> > > some value. When a reporter asked why her agency uses Microsoft
> products,
> > > Reno explained that her procurement policy is to "buy the best equipment
> > > possible at the lowest price possible to benefit the American
> taxpayers."
> > >
> > > That's quite a concession. The purpose of American anti-trust law is not
> > > prop up corporations that are losing market share, but to protect
> consumers.
> > > If Windows is the "best" available operating system at the "lowest
> possible
> > > price," it's hard to see what good it does Microsoft customers to split
> the
> > > company in half.
> >
> > What has that got to do with Linux in the larger picture.  Thats the US!
> > the US has more money than you could poke a stick at, hence, they don't
> > give a shit whether they have to upgrade software every year just to
> > ensure maximum reliability.
> >
> > However, in the real world, such as in New Zealand, where the government
> > departments are corporitised, hence, run like corporations, they are
> > required to show a surplus, and efficiency gains to the Crown at the end
> > of each financial year. The CEO has a three year contract and must
> > perform to continue to be the head of the department.  That is why so
> > many have either moved or stayed with UNIX/Linux. WINZ (Work and Income
> > New Zealand) use UNISYS mainframe loaded with UnixWare, and several
> > clusters of HP servers running HP-UX.  Tax department uses AIX.  The
> > NZSE (New Zealand Stock Exchange) uses s/400 for mainjor, mission
> > critical work, and uses Linux to carry out email etc that aren't mission
> > critical, however, once Linux has proved itself they intend to
> > incorporate more into the main computer setup.
> >
> ..
> Well put but I'd remind you that the US *is* part of the real world. Like it
> or not. Further, Linux and *BSD are doing a whole bunch of work there.

JS PL virtually setting the US as the defacto standard of what other
government departments are running as an OS.  I personally couldn't care
less what happens in the US. SO much money is wasted yetit is never seen
as a big issue, hence, whether the DOJ uses Windows or not issue another
non-issue.  If the DOJ use Linux they would been seen as biased towards
Linux and alternative OS's, and if they ran Windows, there would be a
big "Microosft" conspiracy, hence, the DOJ are damed if they do and
damed if they don't.

Matthew Gardiner
--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:26:35 -0400

Brent R wrote:

> Franek wrote:
> >
> > Charles Lyttle wrote:
> > > However there are a number of manufacturers who make PC equals for the
> > > factory floor. They are much lower cost than traditional factory
> > > hardware, especially HP or Sun systems. These systems cost lots more
> > > than CompUSA trash, but still are cost effective, *IF* they have a good
> > > OS loaded. Linux does have competitors in this market, QNX being one.
> > > But the cost of a single BSOD is high enough to keep Windows out.
> > er... I've done some work on the "factory floor" and I've used different operating
> > systems. First (I'll probably be crucified now) linux crashes just as well as NT,
> > especially with some of the crap that's out there (of course it doesn't show blue
>on
> > screen <g>, maybe that makes it preferable.) Second, NT is used an *awful* lot in
>the
> > factory environment, and again, it's not that bad, no Sir, not at all. Lastly,
>whatever
> > application you're running that *must* not abend, you won't run either on NT or
>linux, or
> > anything else of the kind. For critical real-time control none of these will do.
>QNX will
> > do, as will some specialized systems like DCSs or PLCs. General-purpose boxes
>normally run
> > user interfaces, data collection, recipe loading, this kind of things, not the RT
>control.
> > This stuff can be rebooted relatively harmlessly.
> >
> > The problems with NT have rather something to do with:
> > - cost of licensing and idiotic conditions with artificial limitations
> > - goddamned size of it (linux can be chopped up and configured *exactly* for that
>task you
> > need)
> > - related to the previous: a potentially higher cost of hardware--sometimes it's
> > important.
> >
> > > --
> > > Russ Lyttle
> > > "World Domination through Penguin Power"
> > > The Universal Automotive Testset Project at
> > > <http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>
>
> Hmmm... if you read my other posts and you'll see that I am in no way a
> MS-basher... usually I'm bashing some of the Linux kooks in here... but
> I have never had Linux even come close to crashing. I love pressing the
> CAPS key and watch the light actually go on and off without failure
> (something I could not do in in Windows98). The problems I've had with
> Linux have all been related to X, the GUI locks up and I press
> CTL-ALT-BCKSPCE and take down the GUI. So needless to say the really
> important stuff in Linux I do on an alternate text-login.

No need to do that.  your GUI apps will continue to run, and as soon
as your fire up your X-display server, you will see your GUI apps
displayed again, unmolested, still running, unperturbed.

> I've had problems with NT, not nearly as bad as Windows 98 but with more
> problems then Linux. I personally can't tell if it's due to bad
> administration or what... it also has to do with a misbehaving app

Personally, I've never heard of an NT machine that has good administration...
at least not good enough for it to perform admirably.

Have you seen the new Mafia$oft ad:

"These machines haven't been touched in days..."

As if that's some sort of accomplishment that wasn't already surpassed
in the 1960's.

> locking up the system (and the three fingered salute doesn't bring up
> the NT process screen right away). NT is also a huge resource hog...
> Linux is more compact with comparable (probably better) stability and
> endurance.
>
> I would suggest that the only reason why NT is making inroads is that
> company's are making apps for it... and phasing out UNIX. Look, NT is a
> proprietary system just like the commercial UNICES that these companies
> used beforehand (I'm assuming), but those products had competitors while
> MS has none.
>
> I've never heard of QNX (please divulge). I would wonder if some of
> these companies use IBM mainframes? I would probably bypass PC's
> altogether and go with a WS or mainframe. Let's face it... PC's are fast
> but they're pieces of junk. No one makes a PC that's designed to put up
> with the punishment that would be dealt to it on a factory floor. I've
> used an IBM mainframe (ES/9000, VSE/ESA) for about 1.5 years now, and
> I've seen how much more robust they are and how much PC's suck.
>
> --
> - Brent
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux = CHOICE!
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:31:14 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Ed Allen wrote:
>
> >     We are looking forward to changing away from monopoly crapware.
>
> The only crapware I'm seeing is on Linux.
>
> >     It is only the Win32 development parasites who are afraid of the
> >     change.
>
> That's why I'm using Linux right now.
>
> >     The only difference is where the code and libraries get placed.
> >
> >     You write a post install script putting links to where the real
> >     code was placed.
>
> You still have to do extra work for each distro.
>
> >     Vendors getting money for crap is what I call easy times and it
> >     has to stop.
>
> Why? Why shouldn't I be paid for the fruit of my labours?

Not if it's rotten fruit, no...

> How am I supposed to eat if I do not receive money for what I've created?

improve the quality of your product.

> Become a free-loader and sponge of the rest of society?

improve your work, or kindly nip off and shoot yourself in the head.

Oh, that's right..you're in England...you'll have to do something
more excruciating, like swallowing rat poison.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:32:23 +0600

"B. R. Ivy" wrote:

> Does anyone out there think that Red Hat is moving towards a proprietory OS?
> I really appreciated the way that RH 7.0 installed but it almost seemed too
> slick.  And now they want to bundle in the way too pretty Nautilus GUI with
> 7.1.   I'd hate to wake up five years from now with another Microsoft on the
> horizon. Ideas? Opinions?

Why do "slick" and "pretty" evoke "proprietary"?

Almost everything Red Hat publishes is under an open license.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas