Feltham)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:22:12 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 20:54:33 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You just don't get it, do you (and neither does Chad)? It's not a
>*sacrifice*. In the Linux world, software gets written because there is a
>*demand* for a functionality.

That's a cop out because in many cases those very same features are
being put to good use by folks in the Win and Mac world so obviously
there is a demand.

> If some functionality is not there it means
>that either not enough people are interested, or that it is not
>implemented yet (and then it is generally mentioned in the TODO file).

Or that people who are used to making do with what they have just
continue to do so like the crap fonts in Netscape.

>That's all there is to it. There is no marketing department that tries to
>sell us features.

Good thing cause they would be out of business in short order.

> You will get some cognitive dissonance when you buy
>products that are targeted at Windows users. These are generally heavily
>marketed and full of promises regarding features. That these features are
>generally just fluff and chrome and often not even do what is promised is
>immaterial, you didn't ask for them, they are being marketed to you.

I'll agree with you as far as software (ie: Office suites of which 90
percent of the features are not used by the typical person) but with
hardware I disagree.

I want my mouse to do what it says on the box.
I want full use of all the features of my sound/video card.

and so forth.

Linux is consistently behind the times in that area.

>It's just two different worlds flatty, don't sweat it too much, but *do*
>try and see things from our perspective.

I see your point, but I'm not one for waiting until a piece of
hardware has been replaced 3 times by an upgraded version before a
Linux driver is written that barely works with the first version.

>Mart

flatfish++++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:32:14 -0500

"Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > It's amazing how much you Linvocates must sacrafice in order to use a
> > supposedly superior operating system. Amazing...
> >
> > flatfish++++
> > "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
>
> You just don't get it, do you (and neither does Chad)? It's not a
> *sacrifice*. In the Linux world, software gets written because there is a
> *demand* for a functionality.

Meaning: Only the people that know how to write it write it when they
feel like it. The demand of the rest of the population be damned.
This is reason #2940280283 why Linux still hasn't taken off and is dead
on the desktop.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:58:41 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2001 10:16:48 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >> So, when you say "say that again and I'll see you in court", you
> >> actually mean "say that again and I will pretend you didn't"?
> >
> >He lost all credibility when he got more ridiculous the next time around.
> >
> >No need to prosecute the matter when Steve off's himself.
>
> So, yes, you will pretend he didn't say anything. Nice to know you are
> as spineless as I suspected.

No.  I noticed that when he destroyed his own credibility, there
was no longer any damage being done by his original statement.

i.e. Steve undid his own problematic behavior by going even more extreme.

> Lesson one: if you want to be a worthy man, don't threaten.

I'll threaten whenever I damn well feel like it's called for.

> Lesson two: if you want to be a honourable man, don't threaten in vain.

Libel suits are based on damage caused by false statement.
The damage exists ONLY if the source of the false statements has
any credibility.

By destroying his own credibility, Steve destroyed the libel case against him.

Hope that helps, MORON.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: errunt r kookla threatens lawsuit - oh my ribs!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:06:29 -0700

Aaron. Please, please, please, have lots of unprotected  sex with women with
AIDS.

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:24:09 +0100

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > > ALL of of the Unix world has had such features ever since networking
> > > was first implemented in Unix.
> > >

> > In other words, UNIX is network native.
>
> no.  i think unix existed for several years before networking even
> existed.  that networking works well with unix is more do to
> 1) folks at berzerkely having kernel source &c being able to add
> networking
> 2) unix is multitasking and multiuser which lets you easily have
> non-human agents handle networking tasks such daemons.

If Unix was designed as a multi-user system then it will have been designed
with some limited network support in the first version - what other way
would they have added multiple dumb terminals to the system ( even a crude
75 baud serial link is a form of networking).

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:09:14 -0700

Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 24 May 2001 02:37:16 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >Steve Chaney wrote:
> >>
> >> Errunt R Kookla eeped:

> >> Welch!
> >
> >As I said...why should I go to the trouble of convening a court
> >to destroy you....
> >
> >when you fucking self destructed in less than 10 minutes.
>
> So, when you say "say that again and I'll see you in court", you
> actually mean "say that again and I will pretend you didn't"?

That seems to be the case. :)

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:13:08 +0100

On Wed, 23 May 2001 18:26:11 -0700, "Joel Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ome.com...
> > On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:53:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > >I installed SP2 under Win2k and it worked perfectly, just like SP1
> > >did. Contrast this to the Mandrake update CD I was sent in the mail
> > >thaty destroyed my entire system.
> > >
> > >Sorry but Linux still sucks and Windows ROCKS!!!!!
> >
> > Fuck off and die troll.  Win2k is pathetic for it's 40 year old file
> system and
> > the cpu and memory requirement of a super computer just to not run like a
> dog.
> >

> NTFS is 40 years old ?
> W2k will run fine on a P200 with 128 Mb RAM.

What??? 128 Mb RAM before you can open Notepad???

Peter

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:13:09 +0100

On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:53:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I installed SP2 under Win2k and it worked perfectly, just like SP1
> did. Contrast this to the Mandrake update CD I was sent in the mail
> thaty destroyed my entire system.
>
> Sorry but Linux still sucks and Windows ROCKS!!!!!

Can I display the output of an app running on one machine on the screen of
another machine, assuming of course that the two machines are networked
together. It's possible in Linux, can it be done in Win2k? Or WinXP?

Peter.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:20:12 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote:
>
> >>He lost all credibility when he got more ridiculous the next time around.
> >>
> >>No need to prosecute the matter when Steve off's himself.
> >
> >So, yes, you will pretend he didn't say anything. Nice to know you are
> >as spineless as I suspected.
>
> Well, in the Kook's defense, the guy did essentially admit that he was
> not serious about the charge, when he brought out the "crack whore"
> nonsense....

To be successful, one must be ruthlessly lazy...that is, to not invest
an ounce of effort into problems which have already solved themselves.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:25:27 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >>So, yes, you will pretend he didn't say anything. Nice to know you are
> >>as spineless as I suspected.
> >
> >Well, in the Kook's defense, the guy did essentially admit that he was
> >not serious about the charge, when he brought out the "crack whore"
> >nonsense....
>
> Whatever. Aaron barely lets a day pass without threatening someone in
> some way.

Oh yeah!  Why don't you come here and say that!

>          Of course all his threats are hot air, because he is
> morally invertebrate.
>
> Yes, Aaron, I am baiting you, because it amuses me to see you get
> all anxious.

I'm laughing at you.
Hope that helps.

>                And I wouldn't consider cheating in school to be
> beneath you.

When you're as smart as I am, there is no need.

Besides, I would NEVER dishonor myself in such a way.

>                 After all, you seem to be completely ignorant of
> anything computer-related, yet you say you managed to get close
> to the end of a college career.

Actually, most of my fellow students, and even a few TA's
were under the impression that I was a graduate student,
*BECAUSE* of my knowledge and expertise with computers.

The first time I worked at the GM tech center, I was a systems
administrator, working for EDS, in one department of one building.

When I returned 5 years later, I was 4 rungs up the totem
pole....OVERSEEING that EDS fulfills their contractual obligations,
AND setting policy for them to implement AND guiding problem resolution.

> Cheating is one wy to explain that, you know.

I've forgotten more about computers than you'll ever know.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 23:26:10 +0200

"Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:

> > The other question is, of course, do they *want* to be found?
> > It doesn't take a lot of thinking to understand that there is a good
> > chance that they don't.
> > Brin's Earth is a story about ETs finding humanity.
> >
> > Paranoia is a survival trait, after all.
> >

> Scientific curiosity might very well be a 'survival trait' to advanced
> civilisations. Even stupid us have already sent messages to hypothetical
> aliens.

ISTR that in several "get in touch with aliens", pruposed ways to do so has
been tested, and no one was able to crack them.

Scientific curiosity is wonderful, but I would hardly call it survival
trait. It tend to kill people more often that not. :-D
As far as we know, they worship Murphy.

> If there are 'others', it will only take one social deviant with a
> high-power radio transmitter (Who knows, they may come free with the local
> equivalent of breakfast cereal) to break an entire civilisation's
> self-pronounced quarantaine.

You need some *high* power radio transmitter to do this. Especially over
serious distances. I'm talking military grade staff here.
And you need to activate it continously.

In addition to that, anything that will be sent on space is likely to be
compressed, which tend to eliminate repetitive patterns, which is what SETI
and the like are listenning to.

> > It would be intellectually nice to know that we aren't alone in the
> > universe, would it be practically wise?
>
> As with everything else we discover, we'll know afterwards.

And as usually with this stuff, it may be too late.

> (As a sidenote, the last words uttered in the Universe might very well
turn
> out to be: "I wonder what'll happen if I push this button?"; possibly
> followed by a short and abruptly broken off "Aaarrggh-")

Isn't it a Terrry Prachett qoute?

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:41:10 +0100

> JSPL, maybe you should stick to playing hand-puppets in your parents
> basement.

I think he's more into pocket billiards ;-)