From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:31:35 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> > Ballmer's comments are FUD, meant to scare everyone, --everyone--, away
> > from Open SOurce in general and GPL, in particular.
>
> Whatever, *I* will make that claim.
> Goverment fund code should be public domain, not GPL.
> Will you argue with this statement now?

Some of that code can be classified in the name of National Security.
Then no one in the public sector can get it.  Most of it is classified
just so that no one business can gain any leverage from it and block
another business from using it.

Using the Freedom Of Information Act won't get you the code either. They
will just tell you it either doesn't exist or send you a blackened out
page of the document in question.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:37:21 +0100

>>>Why, you're nothing more than an a goatish, idle-headed fustilarian!
>>
>> I'll just take your word on what that means.
> Hahahahah, me to!
>
> Dr Square why not just pass over posts you don't like, or learn to use
> the Agent killfile, it'l lower your blood pressure tremendously :)
>
> Plus Ed is a knowledgable guy, I think its silly to piss him off.

Thanks.

Even so, I still have no idea what the insult meant. If you do a google
search for "Elizabethan insult generator" in google, it will come up
first. it has loads of cool insults.

> Up to you tho, usenet is still a free medium.

That's why we get the likes of Aaron, too.
-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:40:11 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete
Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <9fbp0b$de2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> Here's a recent example. You recently posted an artile about
>> sourceforge being hacked. You carefully worded the post to make it look
>> like it was dus to a vulnerability in apache and/or ssh, where it was
>> nothing of the sort.
>
> Now where in that post did I say it was anything of the sort?
>
> This is what I said:
>
> "After all the bleating about IIS, now I see an Apache server has been
> hacked. SourceForge uses SSH... hmmm..."

What's with the

"SourceFogre uses SSH... hmm...?"

Look slike you're trying to imply something about SSH. It was not a
problem with SSH. It was no coincidence that almost everyone interpreted
the post in that way. You dressed it up to make it look like it was an
Apache/SSH problem (for one thing, if it wasn't, why post it?).

This is a classic example of what I have accused you of.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum:
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:42:11 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> rOn Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:41:11 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>> Why does everyone always use those horrible plusses in corners? Surely
>>> it would look nicer like this:
>>>
>>>    .-----------------.
>>>    |                 |
>>>    |                 |
>>>    |                 |
>>>    |                 |
>>>    '-----------------'
>>>
>>> Nice smooth corners, not those awful plusses sticking out everywhere.
>
>>In that case, might I suggest:
>>
>>   |                 |
>>   `-----------------'
>>
>>to get matching corners as well.
>
> Nah, the ` makes the whole thing look assymetrical. My version is
> obviously FAR superior :->

??
I guess that's a difference in fonts.

On 9x15 they are just reflections of ona another.

:-/

-Ed

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:45:12 -0700

Stuart Fox wrote:

> "kosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fbnku$42j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Philip Neves wrote:
> >

> > Try this
> > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=464242
> >
> > In general if you have prnting problems go to linuxprinting.org
> >
> > That printer is listed as working perfectly so just follow the
> instructions
> > on that page.
>
> Come on now, the printing system is so broken it requires it's own web site?
> You're joking right?
>
> I don't see a www.windowsprinting.org, or a www.macintoshprinting.org.
>
> And they say Linux is ready for home desktop use?

I have an Epson 600 and it works just fine under Linux without any
hassles.
Works fine under Solaris as well.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is shit
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:48:39 -0700

Terry Porter wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:55:07 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It really is. I'm sticking to windows. You can't even install a
> > printer for christs sake.
>
> Don't you mean *you* can't install a printer ?
>
> It's not hard, but of course not all printers work
> with Linux, ie Winprinters, which are cheap and nasty
> junk, that require the PC CPU to do the things that
> any decent printer has an embedded microprocessor
> to do.
>
> Personally I use a nice second hand IBM 4029 Postscript
> laser printer that cost me $70.

Aw, you lucky DOG!!! :-)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks:
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 04:55:43 -0400

Burkhard Wölfel wrote:

> Paolo Ciambotti wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > If he wanted to invoke Godwin's MISINTERPRETED law, he would have
> > > fucking called you Adolph Hitler.
> > >
> > > Anything less does NOT invoke Godwin's law, you idiot.
> > >
> > > Now, say goodnight, Herman
> >
> > Sometimes you can be so Hitleresque with your responses.
>
> You underestimate Hitler's rhetoric skills.
> Aaron is like a punk (no, not in the meaning of asshole, I mean, he
> seems to be one, but I mean the 80s lifestyle, crappy colored hair,
> inverted aesthetics, puberty and stuff).
> In Europe punks beg for change to buy cheap beer.
> Aaron begs for other things. Is he that important?

you have no understanding of my work

> Burkhard Wölfel
> v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
> pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 01:58:47 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "You've got MALE.. sex organs!" wrote:
> >
> > Jesus, Aaron, you're going to deny you are right wing fuckhead?
>
> How can I be "right wing" when I OPPOSE right-wing ways, methods, and
philosophies?

OK, you're just a fuckhead.

> Since YOU are making the accusation that I am "right wing", then
> first, you must PROVE that I agree with their ways, methods, and
philosophies.

> Until then, you're a slandering asshole

And an asshole.

 (Are you going to sue him?)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 05:01:36 -0400

Ian Pulsford wrote:

> Bernd Paysan wrote:
> >
> > Bloody Viking wrote:
> > > Linux is an OS that appeals to techie types, not normal home users in general.
> > > The install can be a pain depending on equipment and distro used. At times,
> > > you get to play "hacker" with the install, like on a stubborn laptop. Being a
> > > Linux fan, I have to admit that it's not an OS for everyone, certainly not
> > > yet.
> >
> > No normal user ever installs his OS, at least not when you don't have to
> > (as it is often necessary with Windows 9x). The distributor installs it.
> > And the distributor installs it by cloning the hard disk. Cloning the
> > hard disk is not a bit more difficult on Linux than on Windows (except
> > that Linux has the hard disk clone program as part of every
> > distribution: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc).
> >
> > The main "install nightmare" issue comes from wanabe techies who try to
> > install Linux themselves and fail. A lot of them would fail if they had
> > to try to install Windows, too.
>
> That is so arrogant.  If you tried to install the Yoyodyne 2020 system
> first time you would probably fail too.  You are saying inexperienced
> people shouldn't even try.  First time I ever tried DOS, OS/2, Linux,

The question is *not* whether inexperienced people install their own OS...

the question is ___DO___ inexperienced people install their own OS??

> and FreeBSD I failed at installations.  I redid them till I got them
> right.  You are no smarter than the average man on the street, the only
> advantage you have is experience.  Determined people always succeed
> eventually, those who don't usually just aren't interested in installing
> an OS in any case.
>
> IanP

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 02:02:13 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> jet wrote:
> >
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > just

> > communication.

> > > ...IF he continued to spread rumors.
> >
> > And he said yet again that you got kicked out of school for cheating.
> >
> > > Since he destroyed his credibility, he could no longer spread rumors
> > > in an effective manner.
> > >
> > > hope that helps.
> >
> > If you said you were going to sue him for "effectively spreading
rumors",
> > you'd have a point. You said you were going to sue him if he said you
got
> > kicked out of school for cheating.
>
> Why would I sue when the BASIS for such a suit is that the defendant
> must have some credibility?

So, when he said you got kicked out of school for cheating, he had
credibility?

> Hmmmm
>
> As a wise man once said:  "A **FOOLISH** consistancy is the hobgoblin
> of little minds"
>
> And we *already* know that you, Jet, are a fool. This has been documented
> in item B, below, for well over 24 months now.

Dang, what kind of loser has *sections* to his epic sig?

> > Besides, one could not believe you are a crack whore, yet still believe
you
> > got kicked out of school for cheating.
>
> Which is PRECISELY why and how Chanby fucked up his own credibility.

IWO, he had credibility when he claimed you got kicked out of school for
cheating. Got it.

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 02:02:55 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> jet wrote:
> >
> > Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9f7khn$sno$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Well, looks like he was bluffing. He's too yellow to follow through
any
> > > threats.
> >
> > Yeah, it does look that way.
>
> Why should I sue, when the fuckhead destroyed himself in less than a day?

Cluck...cluck...cluck...cluck...

From: Marc Schlensog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux in college & high school
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:43:15 +0200

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> somebody wrote:
> >
> > Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> stands accused of saying:
> >
> > >Well, MacOS X is simply Apple's version of Linux.

Craig, that was a dumb one.  MacOS X isn't even remotely linked to
Linux.
Yes, true may be the fact that it's UN*X-based, but that'd be some
*BSD-flavor
and not Linux.  Furthermore, I don't think, that Aqua is X-based, is it?

> > is freebsd simply freebsd's version of Linux?
>
> No.  FreeBSD is based on the Berkely version (BSD) of Unix.

X-actly!  Maybe one should get off the trip to think that UNIX==Linux.

> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642

===============8<======[.signature=snippery]=============>8===============

Greetz, Marc

--
They're only trying to make me LOOK paranoid!

------------------------------

From: Marc Schlensog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 web server probing port 137???
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:47:35 +0200

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Craig Gullixson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9f90j6$21nb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, WesTralia
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >

> > >Why on Earth does the Stats package that comes with Windows 2000
> > >probe port 137 of a visitors machine when visiting a website that
> > >is running Windows 2000???
> > >
> > >I was told that it is for tracking visitors.  I don't understand
> > >what probing port 137 that has no demon running has to do with
> > >"tracking visitors."
> > >
> > >Any insight would be helpful.
> >
> > Port 137 is used for NETBIOS Name Service.  What that has to do with
> > "tracking visitors" is beyond me.  I could perhaps see a possibility
> > of big brother trying to keep track of things, although I have no
> > basis to say that this is the case.
>
> Rather, it's likely trying to authenticate the user.

In other words: Spying (or at least giving a perfect base for doing so).
Hmm, I guess I have to check, if my port 137 is active... I hope not.

Marc

From: Marc Schlensog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:58:33 +0200

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jim Richardson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 14 May 2001 21:46:05 -0700
> <9dqck6$d0u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >In msgid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bob Hauck wrote: on Sunday
> >13 May 2001 15:43

My two cents:  Not using HTML has nothing to do with being a lamer.
Could there
be the case, that online time is pretty expensive and the dial-up link
is pretty
slow? Could there be the case, that one isn't able to read HTML, since
his newsreader
doesn't support it? Don't freaking say "Upgrade then", cause I don't
want to.
Text is perfectly OK. I don't need an overhead of more than 50%, when
the information
is just the same. Furthermore, I get more or less regular SPAM-mail,
written entirely
in HTML. That'd be OK, if there were any pics or some grafics in, but
it's plain text
with some weird formatting added. I'm not able to read it with my Nokia
Communicator,
since it's eMail-client is text-only. Additionaly, online-time is really
expensive
when using GSM (at least $0.08/min @ 9600bps), so I'm being pretty
bitchy anytime
I get this HTML shit, which takes me forever to download.

> >> Some old-timer told me that it was /italics/, *bold*, and _underline_.

That's perfectly sufficient, if you ask me

> >I have been playing with Knode, (I usually use slrn) and just noticed that
> >Knode rendered your markup correctly, sweet :) I though I had it in html
> >mode or something. But it groks the markup you used just fine...
>
> Interesting, but is it smart enough to handle
>
>    s/pattern/replacement/g
>
> ? :-)
>
> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random command examples here
> EAC code #191       33d:18h:14m actually running Linux.
>                     I don't hate Microsoft.  Just their products.

BTW, Jan, could it be, that you're using Outlook Express 5.0? I can't
check it,
since I don't have the original message.

Regards,

Marc

--
They're only trying to make me LOOK paranoid!