  Re: SourceForge hacked! ("Edward Rosten")

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:08:28 -0400

JS \\ PL wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS \\ PL wrote:
> > >
> > > "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> being

> Window
> > > XP
> processor as
> requirement
> > > is

> > > Then do it. Due to the fact that no one company has ever and can never
> > > possess a monopoly on operating systems your perfectly free to NOT use
> > > Windows XP.
> > >

> > Microsoft does, by definition, have a monopoly in the desktop OS market.
>
> They ESPECIALLY don't have a monopoly by definition. There's the convoluted
> straw grabbing logic that the DOJ and Jackson has put forth which has fooled
> some into believing that they have a monopoly. But (I repeat) they
> ESPECIALLY don't have a monopoly by definition.   As you'll soon see by the
> utter reversal by the appeals court.

They DO have a monopoly, by definition. They can control pricing. They
can (and have) control entry into the market. They do NOT, by
definition, have to have a 100% market share.

You keep bleating that the Jackson decision will be overturned, but you
and the other "experts" bleated there wouold be a very rapid response
from the appellate. It hasnt happened. Court watchers from both sides
have said, you cant make a call on which way the appellate will decide
based on the questioning of the lawyers.

Get a clue. Buy one if you have to, but get one.
--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:07:22 -0400

drsquare wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 02:41:40 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >Ray Fischer wrote:

> >> LOL!  Naw, Kulkis isn't a homophobe in denial!
> >
> >Do homosexuals have a much shorter lifespan than heterosexuals
> >a) no
> >B) YES
>
> No.

National Institute of Health statistics indicate that
the CORRECT ANSWER IS (B)

> >Is it due to deadly diseases that they spread amongst themselves
> >a) no
> >B) YES
>
> No.

National Institute of Health *AND* Center for Disease Control statistics
indicate that the CORRECT ANSWER IS (B)

> >no more questions, your honor.
>
> Why not?

You've never noted the number of 20-50 year old fags dying of AIDS,
Hepatitis, TB, and other nasties?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pidcock)
Subject: Re: XP - what's for me?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:09:10 GMT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 03:22:18 -0500, "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Questions!
>
>Is that a sentance?

Is that spelt correctly?

>> Do you believe MS should have the license
>> to essentially take over the internet
>> with .NET and replace the current world
>> powers who are regulating it's functionality?
>
>Do you see MS owning domain name registrars?  Do you see them owning
>internet backbones like Sprint or Worldcom or AT&T?  Do you see them owning
>ICANN or NSI?  Do you see any way for them to usurp this power without
>owning all such bodies?  I certainly don't.

First the protocols, then those bodies...

>> Do you believe foreign powers such as China
>> will eventually outlaw all Mircrosoft
>> products from their country to prevent
>> the US and Microsoft from dominating
>> the internet and making the world
>> an American's only club?
>
>It wouldn't be much of an internet if each country cuts themselves off from
>the rest of the world, now would it?

How does outlawing MS products equate to cutting oneself off from the
rest of the world?  Well it might if MS gets their way and all
internet access uses their 'standards'.

Dan
remove .hatespam to reply

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:13:39 -0400

JS \\ PL wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS \\ PL wrote:
> > >
> > > "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> being

> Window
> > > XP
> processor as
> requirement
> > > is

> > > Then do it. Due to the fact that no one company has ever and can never
> > > possess a monopoly on operating systems your perfectly free to NOT use
> > > Windows XP.
> > >

> > Microsoft does, by definition, have a monopoly in the desktop OS market.
>
> They ESPECIALLY don't have a monopoly by definition. There's the convoluted
> straw grabbing logic that the DOJ and Jackson has put forth which has fooled
> some into believing that they have a monopoly. But (I repeat) they
> ESPECIALLY don't have a monopoly by definition.   As you'll soon see by the
> utter reversal by the appeals court.

law.com dictionary (Im sure you can find other dictionaries).

monopoly
n. a business or inter-related group of businesses which controls so
much of the
production or sale of a product or kind of product as to control the
market, including
prices and distribution.

... read... micro$oft

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: Martin Kudlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: God Bless Corporate America
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:35:02 +0200

Rotten168 schrieb:

> http://www.ips-dc.org/reports/top200text.htm#KEY%20FINDINGS

Surprisingly I could still find that document on there ... This stinks!!

> Pretty interesting. Note #9 on Key Findings:
>
> "9. Of the U.S. corporations on the list, 44 did not pay the full
> standard 35 percent federal corpo-rate tax rate during the period
> 1996-1998. Seven of the firms actually paid less than zero in    federal
> income taxes in 1998 (because of rebates). These include:    Texaco,
> Chevron, PepsiCo, Enron, Worldcom, McKesson and the    world’s biggest
> corporation—General Motors."
>
> Think about that next time you pay your taxes.
>
> Strange that we didn't see Microsoft on there at all.

MS is still just a small fish after all. So what's all this ng about? I
suggest we call Mr. Gates "Little Brother".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: 06 Jun 2001 11:37:35 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 02:09:05 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Christopher L. Estep" wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > It's deja vu all over again!
>>
>> How?
>>
>> XP includes a slick little applet called *Remote Assistance* that lets the
>> user allow anyone (from Microsoft to the smart techie next door neighbor) to
>> help troubleshoot their PC.
>>
>> I do tech support for a living (level 1 CAE/TSR for Comcast Online) and RA
>> alone is going to make my job tons easier.

Amazing, simply stupendous!

Microsoft finally has the equivalent of telneting into a Windows box,
something Linux has had since 1993, and now all the Windows users who have
consistently rubished it, are now raving about this 'wonderful feature'!

>> Christopher L. Estep
>
> You must be working for the wrong company then... HP has had this little
> program on the HP Pavillions since Win95.
> And the computer won't get resolved no better than the guy at the other
> end either.

Kind Regards
Terry
--
****                                                  ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:41:43 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Michael Vester wrote:
> >
> > Peter da Silva wrote:
> > >
> > > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > > Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=

> > > The first time I called a Microsoft support line (right after installing my
> > > first NT server), they gave me bad advice that took my whole NT domain down
> > > and then asked for a credit card number before they'd help me fix it, because
> > > I'd already used up my free calls. I managed to get them to call me back with
> > > an actual competant tech by escalating the problem up a few levels... but by
> > > then it was a week later and I'd already solved the problem by asking Usenet.
> > >
> > My experiences has all been bad. I have worked in tech support and has
> > access to a "pay through the nose" tech support line.
> >
> > "Are you running non Microsoft software?"
> > If yes, then go to the company that produced the software for help.
> > "Did you reboot?"
> > If yes then
> > "Did you reinstall?"
> > If yes then
> > "You have a hardware problem, go bother the manufacturer"
> >
> > After a few calls like this, I realized that I was much more intelligent
> > than any person on the other end of the telephone. The solution was,
> > "Don't waste anymore time using Microsoft's tech support!"  Most problems
> > can be resolved with the web, usenet and mail lists.  I find that the
> > Linux community is much more helpful.
>
> When I called MS up for support on win98 a while back, I had the product
> for over 90 days.  They asked for Credit Card number and I said I don't
> give that over the phone.
> I then asked if they knew of a good internet based forum for Win98....
> (silence...) A supervisor got on line and asked what he could do for
> me... I got my answer by inferring that they didn't know anything by
> asking for an alternative source of answers.
> Sometimes it works.

I love it!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:41:39 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:37:04 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)) wrote:

>>> But what the hell is all this?
>>
>>Postscript code.
>
> Who the fuck puts postscript code in their sig?

I do.

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:42:02 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 21:05:24 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> Well that's one to the spammers then. I am sure Edward will thank you
>>> for that!
>
>>GAK!
>>
>>I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out :-)
>
> Never mind, I bet the spam bots will never pick up any addresses like
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED], or even [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You really are a wanker.

-Ed

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:41:14 +0200

In article <9fh4vr$l6o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>> mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user
>>> #64239
>>
>> I keep seeing people put different variations of their email address in
>> their posts.  I'm new to the News Groups, so I was wondering if you
>> would be so kind as to enlighten me about why this is done?  Sorry to
>> be off topic, but, if it's a useful News Group hint, I'd like to know
>> it.
>
> If you have your whole email address at some point, some automated
> software will pick it up and start spamming you. That's why there's lots
> of wired variations, such as mine,below.
>
> -Ed

Funny thing is though, I have been posting about 6 months now with my
real email adress, both here, and on slashdot, and my spam intake is
still at only 1 on average daily. I do take the time to report them to
their ISP's if I can parse the headers, so maybe I've landed on some
'Don't spam him' list?
Even if the spam in my mailbox would grow, I'd still use my real email
address, as I just plain refuse to bow to this kind of terrorism (yes I
hate spammers, what gave you that idea?).

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:44:20 +0100

%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%
% Send this entire post to the printer
%INCLUDING the bracketed text

% Without the text on the stack, it doesn't have enough stuff to roll

% You can leave these comments in.

% -Ed

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:52:38 +1100

Terry Porter wrote:

[ snip on-topic bits ]

> Oh my GOD, it just hit me .....
>
> Pete Good... ***WIN***  !!!!
>
> I recall how the Devil went by the name of " Mr Louis Cypher"
> in a film starring Robert De Nero  !

"Angel Heart". Actually, it starred Mickey Rourke, but did have deNiro as
Lou Cypher. Great movie, BTW, especially after [quite] a few beers

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is shit
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:48:44 +0100

>> But I keep the HP500 around for when I'm too lazy to move. At least the
>> ink is quite cheap :-)
>
> Eeks I didnt realise you have to use an old HP thermal inkjet!
>
> Btw, I used to refill those ink carts with "Quink ink", afterall the
> head is replaced when the ink runs out. It took longer to dry but looked
> as good, and one $3 bottle did 3 refills (the heads last about 7 refils,
> before they blow a heating element)

Cool!

How do you get the ink in?

A hypodermic syringe?

-Ed

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:47:48 +0200

In article <9fi5n6$89j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Not all windows advocates are bad.
>
> They are capable of reasoned, rational arguments (though you might not
> believe it with the amount of drivel coming out of people like Chad
> Myers).
>
> I think we should have a Wincvocate of the year nominated (it makes a
> change from nominating trolls).
>
> I would like to nominate Ayende Rahien. If all windows advocates were
> like this, this group would be a much better place. Heck, if all Linux
> advocates were like this, he group would be a better place.
>

> -Ed

Second that and I nominate Erik F. for second place (like most people
seem to do). Both are very reasonable people, though Erik is a little
more stubborn, and that tends to get people irritated.

Mart

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SourceForge hacked!
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:54:40 +0100

>> > Yes, and where did I say otherwise?
>>
>> You implied it.
>
> Implying it does not mean I said it.

In the real world, it equated to the same thing. if you imply somthing
people will assume you mean it. if you keep implying things that you
don't mean, then you're an idiot.

>> > Are you clever enough to read what I actually said?
>>
>> I'm also capable of picking up on implications.
>>
>> Q: If yo have been so widely misinterprteted, then why not correct
>> that?
>>
>> A: because you weren't.
>
> "Widely"? By a few posters?

Enough people. But yet you took no action to correct them, because that
is what you meant.

>> > I quoted a very short piece of text and you and others make out I've
>> > said  something completely out of context.
>>
>> You have mand no attempt to correct this, so I can only assume you mean
>> it. If not, you've been very unclear.
>
> Mean what, exactly? What words are you trying to fit into my mouth?

I'm not trying to fit anything in to your mouth. You're trying to say
stuff without saying it so people can't actually say you said it when you
look like an idiot (ie frequently).

>> > You've posted very weak evidence, based on what you _thought_ I said.
>> >  Please stop trying to put words into my mouth!
>>
>> You are now playing word games. You are capable of realising that thing
>> can be implied and misinterpreted. You have made no attempt to point
>> out that your post was misinterpreted by everyon who replied to this.
>> from this, I can only conclude that you are out to deceive people, or
>> you actually meant what people interpreted it as.
>
> I'm not responsible for what others imply, infer or misinterpret from my
>  comments.

You are if you write your comments in a way designed to be
misinterpreted, which you do.

-Ed