  "A.R. (Tom) Peters" and Alan & Susan Mead:

First: I appologize for anyone else who took part in the
       discussion but was not mentioned.  This was due to
       a combination of not being quoted in the email,
       and my recent start on the mailing list.

> If you reply, please delete some of the stuff we chewed
  on sufficiently.

I'll do my best!

  Note: anything stated here is not necessarily my opinion,
        but a paraphrase of the above conversation.
        Although, it can be inferred that it is difficult to
        paraphrase without at least some opinion as to what
        is important.

If you reply, it may be useful to keep the outline form.
This will enable points to be grouped with like points,
and keeps threads generally organized.  From time to time,
it may also be necessary to strip the "> > >" from the
front of each line (provided this lasts that long).

Points made so far without regard to who made them:

The issue that was originally raised:

What words and acronyms are so common that we may use them and
expect them to be known.  (Ex. it would be silly to spell out
TCP/IP instead of using the acronym.)

   I.  We need to have a definitive list of them, with or
       without explanation.  This takes care that everybody
       uses consistent terminology instead of any of the
       possible synonyms

       A.  Candidates will be expected to know what is being
           talked about when these terms are used, but do not
           need to know exactly what the letters stand for

       B.  This is not a good idea (at least not for controlling
           test quality) because a list too long and filed with
           too many no-brainer terms will not be read

       C.  Why would it would be bad to make explicit our
           assumptions about terms that people should be familiar
           with
           1.  The list will not mention terms (acronyms) that
               don't really have synonyms
               a.  Ex. "Mail Transfer Agent" vs. "MTA"
                    i.  Has a specific technical meaning
                   ii.  Refers to a fairly well defined set of
                        programs in the Unix world
               b.  Synonyms of terms may be used when something else
                   is meant
           2.  Some terms may have different meaning in different