-----Original Message-----
From: A.R. (Tom) Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 7:13 AM
Subject: Re: Call for dictionary

>  Your proposal - as I understand it - takes care that everybody uses
>consistent terminology instead of any of the possible synonyms.  That
>leaves 2 problems un-addressed:

My imprecisly worded proposal was to have a list of terms (acronyms and
words/names/phrases/etc.).  Specifically, my proposal was to provide a way
to look up a term (acronym or word or ...) and determine if it was
"perferred" or. if not, what the preferred term was (as a way to [1] help
item writers and item reviewers maintain consistency[=quality] in items on
the test and [2] define the list of terms which candidates should
understand).

I think we are in complete and total agreement about the exam NOT testing
for arbitrary terms like MTA; rather, test for Linux knowledge.  I agree
completely.

>* The list will not mention terms (acronyms) that don't really
>have synonyms: for example, you either use "Mail Transfer Agent" or
>[...]

I'm not sure I understand...  Are you despairing of any
list/dictionary/enumeration?  Or what would relate "sendmail, smail, qmail,
exim, ..." with MTA?  This point I don't understand but I am *completely*
open to modification or alternatives.  Given the time crunch, as I said,
alternative models would be appreciated.

>* Some terms may have different meaning in different context: I think we
>should offer some definition or description in cases where it may matter.

This is a good point which I had not fully anticipated.  In terms of my list
proposal, the answer (which assumes grep as an interface) would be to simply
have as many lines in the list as contexts.

>The list like you propose does not do that.[...]

Let's agree on a definition/description field.  Does that resolve your
concern?

>  It seems workable, but it has this implicit: apparently it is OK
>to use the acronym "DNS" (it is even the preferred term); whereas "NIC"
>should be spelled out "Network Interface Card".  I thought of a list
>saying "These acronyms are OK to use (this is what they stand for...);
>other acronyms should be spelled out."

Are you arguing for seperate lists for acronyms and for jargon?  I don't how
many lists this is.  I agree with the idea that terms not on the list be
spelled out in simple words.

>that afterwards.  My concern is to specify in advance what to use and what
>to avoid in the objectives and tests.
>  And BTW, I was hoping you were drafting some guidelines for item
>writers?

Item writing is my vocation and my main concern. :) Regardig the guidelines,
you're right; they were drafted some time ago and I revised have them
slightly.  I would be *VERY* open to input from anyone on the list.  (As an
aside: A non-English-native Linux user has, to date, supplied the best
commentary).  The URL is still:

http://www.soltec.net/~amead/generic.html

I found that writing a few sample items helped elicit some of the
unspecified issues.

And you point is well taken.  I need to finish them very soon (send any
comments now friends) and I have included the text of your consensus point
but I don't know where to "draw the line" as you put it above.  I guess the
list would operationalize "the line" and I agree, that's probably the best
way to do it.

STATUS:

Unless I hear otherwise, I am going to create a list with fields for:

preferred term: definition/description: deprecated synonyms
[preferred term: definition/description: deprecated synonyms (context 2)]
[preferred term: definition/description: deprecated synonyms (...)]

We (I) need it done in, ideally, the next few days.  I will have the
complete text of the objectives tomorrow so with any luck I will post a list
for comments and additions (probably lots of additions!)  tomorrow or the
next day.  Comments will be important.  I had originally thought to use a
web interface but I doubt there is time so people will just email me.

-Alan