>  > > It is nothing more than plain theft. If no one
>>  > pays for the program today than there will be no program in the future.
>>
>>  ??? we are not speaking about decode encrypted channels, BUT the need to buy
>>  hardware cams: 200+ euros each one!!!
>
>We speak about the decoding of encrypted channels. You may be so ethical
>and have an official subscriptions, but most are not. They just want to
>view for free.

Besides from the legal aspects you may see an other perspective: The
industry wants to earn money and doesn't care about ethical aspects
nor the comfort of the consumers, for example it keeps prices for CDs
higher than "Vinyl-Platten" (although they promised that the prices
would drop to the same level after CDs reaching a high market share)
or the same with DVDs and VHS Video. One consumer has no power
compared to the power of billion dollars/euros companies. Of course
the law is only free theoretically, so they adopt the laws to suit
their business models. By developping and using things like mp3 and
divx the common people have a chance for influencing the markets, now
the big companies must thing about a reasonable price and some
improvements for the legal buyers (and if they haven't realized that
yet and try stupid and in some countries even illegal ;-) things like
copy protection on CDs they only make their products and its sellings
worse).
Your arguments stay on a very deep level, the existing written laws.
Maybe you're a lawyer and really belive that written law is perfect,
in all ways ethical and fair. What a naive attitude! I'm a
sociologist and I analyse the impacts of business practices and
existing laws on the society. Only by doing so it's possible to
improve the situation of the common consumer and to make the markets
more ethical. Sticking with conservative ideas about copyright,
access to markets and so on will only improve one thing: the earnings
of some few multinational companies which can control the markets
more and more because of monopolies and the fail of anti-trust laws
(where are your perfect laws in that case?).

>  > > Arguments like saving money, more comfort, ... are just cheap excuses.

You can't generalize that. Your arguments can also be viewed as cheap
excuses, as I mentioned before.

>Such is life. You have to live with the restrictions given by law and
>your income. This all is no excuse.

If all people would thing like that we would still work our asses off
in factories for very low wages, no insurance, no holidays etc...

>No. VDR is a legal use of DVB cards. It uses no illegal software.

Ha! Didn't you hear about the MPEG-2 licensing case against Compaq?
http://heise.de/newsticker/result.xhtml?url=/newsticker/data/nij-20.11.00-001/default.shtml&words=MPEG%20Lizenzen

>  > and moreover, do you think watching a DVD is ILLEGAL
>>  and UNETHICAL using linux related software?
>
>Yes, because it breaks the copyright laws. I don't play DVDs under
>Linux. For this I have a DVD player.

By such a ridiculous statement you betray the whole idea of open
source and linux. Maybee you should start using legal and following
your argumentation completely ethical Microsoft OS and software?

>Whatever you come up with arguments, the fact is that the use of
>software that is written by breaking civil or prosecution laws is
>criminal.

"And when it's not forbidden to do reverse engineering we simply
could change the law and criminalize all these people trying to bring
stuff like DVD to systems like linux we can't earn that much money
with"

>You can do that. But you also should think about the consequences.

Yeah, you're so right, YOU should think about the consequences of
what you're saying!

One more argument: Technical progress will be slowed down even more
than today with all your strict copyright and patent laws, forbidden
reverse engineering, censorship in mailinglists about such aspects
etc.

PS. If you say that discussions like this don't belong on this
mailinglist, ok, let this list be strictly technical. But then it's
ok to discuss about the theoretical technical realization of softcams
(not the use). Or do we actually break a law when discussing this?
Maybee soon, when Third Reich censorship is introduced again to
protect the industry, their patents and their monopolies.

Dany

--
Info: