>You could make a one floppy linux system for a digipeater or APRS repeater
>probably. I suspect it could be done. I have a fairly comprehensive
>bootdisk running libc5 tools with lots of TCP/IP (for ethernet) stuff,
>which could probably be modified with all the ax25 utils put on.

Hold it hold it.....

I have 5 digipeters in town that consist of a TNC, and a radio... no
computer.
Why exactly would you need to have a PC digi aprs or any other traffic?
and there are easily hacked rom's to digi TNOS stuff..  no adding a computer
just to digi is insane.

And second of all -- Linux can do everything a winblows98 setup can do in
packet and amateur radio..  I have sattelite tracking, APRS functions that
windows users would only dream of, I can access my sattelite system via
packet from my handheld (cant do that with windoze) I have a callbook, Morse
code/RTTY recorder/decoder, DTMF logger, etc....  the only thing I dont have
is a nice old text mode packet terminal program.... That's what minicom is
for... and noone uses packet as a teletype anymore anyhoo...

The only thing I miss is a native version of APRS with graphics for linux,
and I dont think we'll see it either.  It's not high on the priority list.
(Note: you can get a type of APRS display by interfacing the data via a perl
script to the GRASS Gis system.... it kind of works.. and eats processing
cycles faster then windowsNT does while idle!... note that I dont like
windows products :-)

No the argument that there's nothing for hams in linux is empty...  look at
the HAM-HOWTO..