On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

.|Good evening, List.

Good evening.

.|This is the last proposal for the new setup of Linux-IL.  If you
.|still disagree, speak up now.

I didn't really wanted to take active part at this, but
some proposals seems to me VERY unreasonable.

.|The list will be closed for non-subscribers.  When a
.|non-subscriber posts a message to the list, two things will
.|happen:

Why is this and what is the good for ? Is this list so flooded with spam,
virii, and other unwanted stuff ?

when i first started linux i had LOTS of question, i posted some of them to
a few linux lists, and did not want to subscribe as the traffic at those
lists was too much for me at that time. The ability to post a question with out
the mast to subscribe is a necessity especially to newbies.

The subscribers in this list are a group of people that like linux,
like to read, talk, ask questions about it, and in some way implement the
'open source' that is linux.
Why then close the list ? what is the problem in letting other share, what
ever they choose (of-cource with in reason), with out being subscribers ?

.|1. The moderator (currently, me) will get an automatic
.|approval request, and if he considers the message
.|appropriate, he will approve it (I try to read my mail
.|at least once in 24 hours).

This is unheard of. If one is a moderator of a list, one must be moderator.
You CAN NOT have this list moderated and let the moderator "try to" read
mails once in 24 hours even to 'unsubscribers'.

.|The subscribers will be able to receive a digested version of
.|this list, INSTEAD or WITH the normal version, at their own
.|choice.  The digests will be mailed nightly, a little after
.|3:10AM local (Israeli) time (IST +0200/IDT +0300).

For once and for all can someone explain to me the difference between
normal list and digests ?

.|A moderated announce list Linux-IL-Announce will be set up.  All
.|subscribers of Linux-IL will receive mail from Linux-IL-Announce,
.|so there won't be a need to subscribe to this list.

Excuse me ?
Say im subscribe to linux-kernel, should i be getting linux-kernel-Announce
mails ? NO, NO, and NO again.
If one wants the Announce list one can subscribe.

.|I've just got a proposal (by private e-mail) to set up a
.|Linux-For-Newbies mailing list.  The author (whose name I don't
.|want to disclose, because I haven't asked for permission) also
.|noticed that it may be better to make it a newsgroup.  Anyway, if
.|you want it as a mailing list, tell me.

This is a difficult issue. in one hand setting newbie's list, is a good idea.
the reasons are clear. On the other hand since much of the traffic
in this list is from and for newbies, what will be left ? maybe just the
intersting parts ;-).

All in all i see no major reasone to change the structure of this list.

Best regard,
Guy.

--
Guy Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>