Quoth Guy Cohen on Mon, Apr 05, 1999:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> .|The list will be closed for non-subscribers.  When a
> .|non-subscriber posts a message to the list, two things will
> .|happen:
>
> Why is this and what is the good for ? Is this list so flooded with spam,
> virii, and other unwanted stuff ?

We've been through this before.  And the singular of 'virii' is
'virius'.

> when i first started linux i had LOTS of question, i posted some of them to
> a few linux lists, and did not want to subscribe as the traffic at those
> lists was too much for me at that time. The ability to post a question with out
> the mast to subscribe is a necessity especially to newbies.

If you want to subscribe for posting only and don't wish to get
akk the list traffic, the feature exists (the same feature as the
one that lets you post and get traffic from different addresses).
Same stands for people who want to contribute to the list once in
a while.

Apart from that, mailing a question to the list and getting all
the answers without involving other people in the list is rude.
Public discussions must stay public, unless there is a reason to
make them private.

> .|1. The moderator (currently, me) will get an automatic
> .|approval request, and if he considers the message
> .|appropriate, he will approve it (I try to read my mail
> .|at least once in 24 hours).
>
> This is unheard of. If one is a moderator of a list, one must be moderator.

There is a slight misunderstanding here.  First, the list is not
moderated.  If you want to post here, subscribe.  If you want to
post but don't want to get mail, subscribe and turn on the
DIAGNOSTIC flag.  If you want to post to this list only once in
your entire lifetime, you can wait.

> You CAN NOT have this list moderated and let the moderator "try to" read
> mails once in 24 hours even to 'unsubscribers'.

I am a human, and I have a job, and even a life (I know it's hard
to believe), and I reserve to myself the following rights:

1. The right to sleep up to 12 hours a day (and even more, with
   special permission from the Israeli Mailing List Authority).
2. The right not to read my mail from home (which I'm doing right
   now).
3. The right to get drunk and not read mail after my work hours.
4. The right to go to a short unplanned vacation (as opposed to
   planned vacations, like the one I'm leaving to at the end of
   August, when I will leave this list to someone), like going
   somewhere for a day.

> For once and for all can someone explain to me the difference between
> normal list and digests ?

A regular list is, well, a regular list.  You send mail, it
explodes, all the subscribers get it.

"Digests" can exist in any mailing list.  Getting a digested list
means getting one huge message every time period (a day, in this
case), inside of which you have all the traffic of that list for
the given period.  Like, one huge message containing lots of
small messages, which are all the messages posted to the list on
that day.

Something like that.

> .|A moderated announce list Linux-IL-Announce will be set up.  All
> .|subscribers of Linux-IL will receive mail from Linux-IL-Announce,
> .|so there won't be a need to subscribe to this list.
>
> Excuse me ?
> Say im subscribe to linux-kernel, should i be getting linux-kernel-Announce
> mails ? NO, NO, and NO again.
> If one wants the Announce list one can subscribe.

I thought of Linux-IL-Announce as a list for announcements which
are of general interest for the Linux-IL subscribers _and_ some
other people, like installation parties, important Linux-related
events in Israel, and such.  Of course, you do have a point, but
I'd like to hear other people, too.

Dear People: Do you want mail sent to Linux-IL-Announce to be
sent to all the subscribers of Linux-IL?

[Linux-For-Newbies]
> This is a difficult issue. in one hand setting newbie's list, is a good idea.
> the reasons are clear. On the other hand since much of the traffic
> in this list is from and for newbies, what will be left ? maybe just the
> intersting parts ;-).

You're right.  Well, anyway, Linux-For-Newbies won't be set up
now, but if need arises, I can do it.

Vadik.

--
It was state of the art, he said.
The art in this case was probably pottery.