On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Dune wrote:

> hey list
> does any one uses Freebsd
> and can tell me The Differnce Between FreeBsd And linux
> Besides The obvius ?

  I've been using FreeBSD for a couple of years now. IMO, its strong
points (compared to Linux) are:

 . It is based on sources from a single source (UCB CSRG), while Linux is
derived from many non complaint sources.

 . Its networking code is better.

 . The develpment cycle is slower. A stable major release every three to
four months. Most users just do the major releases, although two more cvs
branches are available, namely stable and current. Current being the most
similar thing to a deveopment kernel is Linux.

 . The development cycle is centralized. Authorized developers are making
changes to a central cvs repository.

 . The development cycle contains all major OS parts. This means that when
you say FreeBSD 3.2, you are refering not only to a kernel, but also to
libc and most system binaries (such as ln, awk, grep etc).

 . Its UFS is more stable than ext2fs which optimizes like hell. See SGI's
initiative of donating XFS sources to Linux.

 . It has pre-compiled packages for most freeware, but you can also
install from sources, using a simple make command in the right directory.

 I have a CD subscription and can provide copies of the latest CDROMs (and
some email assistance) if someone is interested.

-- Yaron.