On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Stanislav Malyshev a.k.a Frodo wrote:

> YZ>> I've been using FreeBSD for a couple of years now. IMO, its strong
> YZ>> points (compared to Linux) are:
>
> I'm a bit surprised how many myphologized is a mind of an average
> advocate. What you say is "standard 'Linux sucks' advocate kit". As most
> "standart advocate kits", it's built on myths that or were true 5 years
> ago, or were always false.

  I didn't say that Linux sucks. I said that FreeBSD has some stronger
points.

> YZ>>. It is based on sources from a single source (UCB CSRG), while Linux is
> YZ>> derived from many non complaint sources.
>
> Well, ITYM "non-compliant". In fact, just yesterday I've read an article
> that says BSD is better because in Linux you have just Alan and Linus in
> full control of code, while in BSD it's full team.

  You are confusing an OS and a kernel. These are not the same. An OS has
a kernel and a few more supporting programs.

> YZ>>. The develpment cycle is slower. A stable major release every three to
>
> This is an advantage, yeah? So now development at all means a perfect
> system?

   Slower means added stability. Rabid upgrades make systems less stable.
I am not suggesting that Linux cannot be stabalized in that respect. It
just seems that people are upgrading "becuase they can".

> YZ>>. The development cycle is centralized. Authorized developers are making
> YZ>> changes to a central cvs repository.
>
> You'll be surprised, but there's some little guy named Linus Torvalds, who
> has a little kernel tree that is akinda official. Isn't this a thing you call
> "centralized"?

  Again. OS vs. kernel. Linus maintains the kernel tree, not the OS tree.

> YZ>>. The development cycle contains all major OS parts. This means that when
> YZ>> you say FreeBSD 3.2, you are refering not only to a kernel, but also to
> YZ>> libc and most system binaries (such as ln, awk, grep etc).
>
> I know yet another system which has almost all system binaries intergated
> into the OS. I do not like that OS. Developing an OS and developing awk is
> different things. Side note: I could guess what you meant, but you said
> totally different thing...

  Let me iterate. Developing kernel and other OS parts, such as libc,
other libraries and /usr/bin in the same cvs tree makes the system more
integrated. There is less chance that changes to libc will break calls in
grep, because after you make your changes, you compile everything
together.

> YZ>>. Its UFS is more stable than ext2fs which optimizes like hell. See SGI's
> YZ>> initiative of donating XFS sources to Linux.
>
> Which one does optimize?

  ext2fs optimizes to a dangerous level.

> And why donating XFS means UFS is better than
> ext2? I think I've lost your point here.

  SGI, being a Linux advocate and a company that wants to ship Linux on a
commercial basis for their systems wanted a file system that delivers, so
they offered a better one.

> Did you try a marketing job in a big corporation?

  Nope. I do sysadmin for a living.

> P.S. Could we bury this holy war now?

  Actually, I had no intention of starting a flame war (althogh i suspect
it might end as such). There were no personal insults in my mail.

> If you want to promote BSD, get
> beyond pack of myths and *promote* it, not demote Linux. Saying "X is
> worse" is not the same as saying "Y is better". Think positive.

  If you read my mail carefully, you'd notice that all sentences are
relating to FreeBSD in an explicit positive manner (and not to Linux in a
negative manner).

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]    \/There shall be counsels taken
> Stanislav Malyshev    /\Stronger than Morgul-spells
> phone +972-3-9316425  /\              JRRT LotR.
> http://sharat.co.il/frodo/    whois:!SM8333

  Quoting:

"
BRIAN:
    Brothers! Brothers! We should be struggling together!
FRANCIS:
    We are! Ohh.
BRIAN:
    We mustn't fight each other! Surely we should be united against the
common enemy!
EVERYONE:
    The Judean People's Front?!
BRIAN: