On Wed, 9 May 2001, Nadav Har'El wrote:

> On Wed, May 09, 2001, Ehud Karni wrote about "Re: Bidi support for Linux":
> > On Wed, 09 May 2001 12:09:04 +0300, Shai Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I suggest using the right and left arrow keys, such that:
> >
> > Ctrl+Shift+Left==> R2L direction, Hebrew (or any other R2L font)
> > Ctrl+Shift+Right ==> L2R direction, Latin(or any other L2R font)
> > Alt+Shift+Left ==> Direction unchanged, Hebrew (or any other R2L font)
> > Alt+Shift+Right==> direction unchanged, Latin  (or any other L2R font)
> >
> > Of course the Alt+Shift+<arrow-key> is meaningful only for visual
> > editing (which is still needed here and there).

That may be useful. On the downside: it may be confusing. (disablable? not
enabled by default?)

> This is an interesting suggestion.
>
> By the way, I think there is another that some key combination we need
> to do: switch the main direction of the current widget. For example, in
> a one-line text widget, if the first character of the line doesn't correspond
> well with the direction you want for the entire line, you'll need to
> determine the main direction of the entire lineexplicitly. This is more
> noticable in a multiline text widget.

"Paragraph", not "line"

> I think that MS Windows has such a binding, but doesn't have the "direction
> unchanged, font/mapping changed" you suggest (although it appears a useful
> addition).
>
> > I'm quite sure thesekey combinations are not used by most of todays
> > applications (although simpler combination like Control-<arrow-key>
> > or Shift-<arrow-key> are used).
>
> They are not used by any application I know. Not even XEmacs binds them
> by default :)

That sounds too good to be true: A key combination not used by any unix
program?

Actually, one such use was already mentioned: various window managers use
such combinations for switching between desktops/workplaces.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]