Difference between RedHat and Debian update systems are not really
technological. At least not the important details. I think redhat's
system is a bit better technologically wise, BTW.

The problem is that you cannot leave your system to automatically run
up2date, and be sure everything is ok. I have had a system become really
really unstable as a result of running up2date regularily on it (RedHat
7.1, not server).

On the other hand, I have a system running Debian Potato, and doing
apt-get dist-upgrade to keep it up to date, and while updates are very
scarce, I have yet to see a security problem go unpatched for more than
a few days, and no noticable ill effects (as well as using the same
mechanism at home for desktop computers).

So, while redhat's up2date may be slightly supirior technologically wise
(and I am not even sure about that - you are sending your entire
system's config for safe-keeping on RedHat's systems), Debian careful
updates policy is unmatched. Only flaw I found was that their habbit of
backporting security patches means that security scanners give false
positives.

                Shachar