Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On the other hand, I have a system running Debian Potato, and doing
> apt-get dist-upgrade to keep it up to date, and while updates are
> very scarce, I have yet to see a security problem go unpatched for
> more than a few days, and no noticable ill effects (as well as using
> the same mechanism at home for desktop computers).

To tell you the truth, I am simply subscribed to RH mailing lists and
as soon as they have an update (which is scored high up by my mail
reader) I download it and install by hand, both at home and at work.
I am paranoid enough to let the system take care of updates
(especially security) all by itself. So my home and office systems are
never unpatched for any significant time either. I find prominent
notification much more important and valuable than automated
download/install.

> So, while redhat's up2date may be slightly supirior technologically wise (and
> I am not even sure about that - you are sending your entire system's config
> for safe-keeping on RedHat's systems), Debian careful updates policy is
> unmatched.

I am not arguingn against this - I don't have experience with it.
I only objected to "ssh on the IGLU server is out of date - you must
switch to Debian" statement.

Disclaimer: I am a Red Hat user but hopefully not a zealot.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."