On Thursday 25 September 2003 13:28, Noam Rathaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lately I heard rumors of the idea of changing the Day Light Savings from
> +-1 hour to +-2 hours, and changing it on less of a regular basis that it
> is now (I didn't notice it was on a regular basis ... It always appeared to
> be changing at random).
>
> Anyhow my question is whether there is an Israeli NTP server that keeps
> track of these things, allowing my organization, and others out there to
> keep track of these time changes.

Dear Noam,

NTP servers are clueless about timezone. They only tell the time in UTC. It is
your local Operating System that knows about timezone, and adjusts the time
by it.

As such, no NTP server will ever know when the local time was moved to
daylight savings time and back. NTP servers are universal, and anyone can
sync with any NTP server, be it here or in Timbaktu.

Hope this helps.

--Ariel

> Thanks
> Noam Rathaus