On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:42:48PM -0500, Offer Kaye wrote:
<rant>
Year: 2005
Desktop: KDE 3.3.1
OS: Mepis Linux
Ability to change color depth: nil. nada. ziltch. Unless I want to

Why would you want to change colour depth?
Anyway, X protocol does not allow this, since applications have structures which are dependent on colour depth, and screen (virtual) size, and there is no way to announce a change. Even if an extension to the protocol to allow this was written, it would still leave all programs which do not support this extension.
If you want to do this, I guess that adding support to the few main toolkits (QT, GTK, etc.) and in the WM (to kill applications with no support) is the minimum amount of work needed.

You always have a simpler workaround, you know: start a second X server
with different settings.

Now, what parameter do I need to pass to X to get a different color
depth? xserver(1x) does not mention any.

X --help shows the following options (among others):

-pixmap24              use 24bpp pixmaps for depth 24
-pixmap32              use 32bpp pixmaps for depth 24
-fbbpp n               set bpp for the framebuffer. Default: 8
-depth n               set colour depth. Default: 8
-gamma f               set gamma value (0.1 < f < 10.0) Default: 1.0
-rgamma f              set gamma value for red phase
-ggamma f              set gamma value for green phase
-bgamma f              set gamma value for blue phase
-weight nnn            set RGB weighting at 16 bpp.  Default: 565
-layout name           specify the ServerLayout section name
-screen name           specify the Screen section name

For X 3.3 it was a -bpp option.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]