On Sunday 23 January 2005 16:21, Offer Kaye wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:03:19 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > I think many distributions give you GUI utilities to customize the
> > XF86Config file. That's not the problem.
>
> I couldn't find one built into KDE  - I expected the desktop manager
> to include a utility to change the color depth. I even expected it to
> be available from the settings winow you get by right-clicking the
> desktop and choosing "properties". Silly me, I wonder where I got that
> strange notion...

I'm not sure that's the right place for it. You need root permissions to
modify /etc/X11/XF86Config. Putting it there does not make sense on Linux.

> > I don't distaste this fact.
>
> I can't parse this sentence ;-)

I meant that I don't dislike this fact. I mean that I was never bothered by
the fact that I could not change the colour depth at X-Windows' run-time.

> > This is not a real problem of Linux... So you
> > configure it once and then don't touch it later.
>
> Configure it *how*!? That's exactly my problem  - I couldn't find an
> easy way to configure the color depth.

Should be easy using XFdrake or mcc or xf86config or whatever. I don't know
what is available on Mepis.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish