On Wed, Dec 07, 2005, Uri Even-Chen wrote about "[off topic] Wikipedia & Jimmy
Wales":
> I recommend reading this article (in Hebrew), and looking at the
> websites below:
> http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3180710,00.html
>
> http://www.wikipedia-watch.org/
> http://www.google-watch.org/

Can you explain why you recommend reading those sites, much of which appear
to be the writings of a nudnik at best, or a raving lunatic at worst?

Wikipedia's method of operation is well-known. Nothing written on it comes
with any promise of being correct. But, unlike much of the rest of the
Internet which contains falsehoods and half-truths by the millions, in
Wikipedia you can actually correct these falsehoods yourself. You don't
need to resort to "anti"-sites which cry about the falsehoods, or to
law-suites to force the site owner to change something.

This guy's view of Wikipedia reminds me of SCO's view of free software.
They think that the fact that someone *can* put stolen copyrighted material
into some free software project, means that free software is inherently
evil, and that they don't need any proof (like showing an actual case of
stolen code) to win a lawsuit. Similarly, just because somebody *can*
put libel in wikipedia does not prove that a specific article about Mr.
Dan "paranoid" Brandt is in fact libel, or that Wikipedia is evil.

These views make as much sense as charging every cook with murder, because
he uses knives who can be easily used to kill people.

This guy's rambling have started to annoy people, and one of them even
created a "Google-watch watch" site: :-)

        http://www.google-watch-watch.org/

> By the way, www.google-watch.org has a Google PageRank of 6, and appears
> #17 when searching "google" on Google.  The first 14 websites are
> operated by Google, so it's #3 site which is not operated by Google.

Ok, and that says what?

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, Dec 7 2005, 7 Kislev 5766
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |All those who believe in psychokinesis,